Boys Hope Girls Hope of San Francisco Bay Area
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Youth Development
City: San Francisco
Postal code: 94112
Country: United States
Boys Hope Girls Hope helps academically capable and motivated children-in-need to meet their full potential and become men and women for others by providing value-centered, family-like homes, opportunities and education through college.
Boys Hope Girls Hope San Francisco Bay Area helps academically capable and motivated children-in-need meet their full potential, becoming men and women for others. Boys Hope Girls Hope SF Bay Area provides after-school academic support and tutoring, organizes service learning opportunities in the local community, facilitates career exploration with local professionals, and helps prepare scholars for college with a focus on: college-related literacy, tuition assistance and financial and emotional support through college and beyond.
Boys Hope Girls Hope SF Bay Area was established in 2000, and today serves approximately 50 scholars from middle school through college. We operate Hope Academy, our program for junior high & high school students at Archbishop Riordan High School and recently opened Hope Prep, a program for middle school students, at Mission Preparatory School. Both programs are coed, academic and life-learning after-school programs. We have a small but dedicated team delivering high quality programming and filling a critical need within the Bay Area. As a privately funded organization, we need a dynamic, mission-driven, and entrepreneurial leader to ensure sufficient resources to deliver our services.
Boys Hope Girls Hope was founded in 1977 in St. Louis to help driven students from disadvantaged backgrounds succeed in school and life, and currently has affiliates in 16 cities in the United States and Latin America. Each affiliate within the network is an independent organization with a governing Board that reflects the local community. Today the Boys Hope Girls Hope network serves 1,200 young people.
Boys Hope Girls Hope SF Bay Area leverages structured programming, curriculum, and partnerships with local middle & high schools. Boys Hope Girls Hope International assists affiliates with direct scholarship support to graduates of the program, as well as developing formal partnerships to benefit Boys Hope Girls Hope scholars with colleges and universities across the country. Boys Hope Girls Hope scholars are members of caring communities that support them and set high expectations for their personal and academic success through consistent core elements of our organization’s DNA:
- Academic focus
- Service and community engagement
- Family-like settings to create a sense of belonging
- Long-term and comprehensive commitment
- Faith-based values
- Voluntary participant commitment
Boys Hope Girls Hope firmly believes that children have the power to overcome adversity, realize their potential, and help transform our world. Young people create these successes when we remove obstacles, support and believe in them, and provide environments and opportunities that build on their strengths.
The Executive Director provides overall leadership of the organization and is responsible for aligning activities and the team with the strategic vision established by the board and Boys Hope Girls Hope International. This leader will have primary responsibility for and spend the majority of his or her time in advancement and fundraising activities to build a solid and engaged donor base. As the primary face of the organization to the public and donor community, the Executive Director is focused on expanding the network of supporters, partners and friends of the mission. Other key responsibilities will include Board relations, marketing, finance, and administration.
The Executive Director will work closely with Boys Hope Girls Hope International, and must at all times support the mission and values of the organization, and act in accordance with the highest ethical and professional standards.
Resource Management and Organizational Advancement
- Ensure income and in-kind contributions goals are set and met, revenues are increased commensurate with defined needs, funding sources are expanded and diversified, and the foundation is laid for meeting future revenue goals,
- Communicate strategic, fund development and marketing goals and plans to the team of staff and volunteers. Ensure alignment and focus so goals are achieved.
- Create & implement donor engagement strategies to increase their awareness and involvement with the mission, driving annual retention rate and increasing overall giving
- Design & execute special events, maximizing revenue, engaging current givers and generating new prospects
- Assure the organization’s financial and non-financial resources are properly stewarded
- Identify, build & maintain strong strategic partnerships in the SF business and foundation community
Marketing and Communications
- Generate enthusiasm and increase awareness in the local community focused on potential donors and volunteers
- Deliver a consistent public image in print, digital and email communications and in social media channels
- Support the Board by keeping them informed and engaged, equipping them to fully carry out their leadership, governance, planning and fundraising responsibilities
- Ensure Board members receive the information required, including financial reports, to fulfill their fiduciary duties
- Ensure the organization remains in compliance with federal, state and local regulations and standards
- Ensure active committees meet regularly and work toward defined goals
- Maintain a strong relationship with Boys Hope Girls Hope International and adhere to network-wide requirements, standards, and best practices
Human Capital Management
- Build and maintain a motivated, effective, and accountable team of staff and volunteers with the capacity to meet the strategic goals that are in place
- Establish a positive culture promoting team collaboration, development and retention
- Ensure team is appropriately trained and certified
- Supervise the Hope Academy Director who leads the program team, helping them establish and achieve desired scholar success and well-being outcomes
- Ensure infrastructure is in place for program effectiveness and future growth
- Closely collaborate with Boys Hope Girls Hope International to pilot program enhancements for greater impact and efficiency
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Proven ability in major gift fundraising, capital campaigns, and special events; CFRE or similar certification a plus.
- Track record of leadership and effectively working with a Board of Directors
- Experience successfully achieving strategic goals
- Minimum 7 years of fundraising, board development, and/ or management experience in a non-profit environment. Experience in an education non-profit focused on children ~10-18+ strongly preferred.
- BA required, M.A. preferred, in Administration, Management, or related field
- Strong knowledge of local philanthropic community
- Effective communication skills and strong organizational skills
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people and to create an inclusive culture
- Experience managing, motivating, developing and effectively leading staff and volunteers
This is an executive position based in San Francisco. The position requires the supervision of staff, regular written and verbal communication, planning and organization, independent decision making, use of computer, making presentations, and attendance at meetings. Periodic travel within the United States and regular travel in the Bay Area will be required. The position requires extensive use of phone and computer to communicate with various stakeholders, the public and staff. Evening and weekend work is occasionally required.
Boys Hope Girls Hope offers a competitive compensation package and an exciting, fast-paced work environment for the passionate executive who brings a commitment to the mission and the internal drive to be successful. Boys Hope Girls Hope is an equal opportunity employer.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Interested persons should submit a resume and cover letter on our website at https://bhghinternational.org/careers and select the San Francisco Executive Director position from current openings at Boys Hope Girls Hope to be prompted to upload your documents.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert