Director of Development
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Arts, Culture and Humanities
Postal code: 11231
State: New York
Country: United States
Powerhouse Arts is a not-for-profit based in Gowanus and Red Hook, Brooklyn, established to create a robust platform for art production and employment in the arts. Powerhouse is stewarding the redevelopment of the former Brooklyn Rapid Transit Power Station in Gowanus to create a new facility that will house fabrication and production facilities in wood, metal, ceramics, textiles and printmaking. Our programming includes education, employment and public engagement to increase access and opportunity for participation in the arts for all New Yorkers. Powerhouse Arts is seeking a Director of Development to join the team of this vibrant cultural center.
The Director of Development will report to the CEO and will be responsible for developing and overseeing fundraising strategies that support the organization’s capital project, inaugural events, ongoing programming, and institutional operations. The Director of Development will work closely with members of the executive team to identify funding and communications priorities that align with the organization’s strategic objectives, mission, and vision.
Applicants should have significant experience managing nonprofit fundraising efforts and leading and mentoring effective teams. The ideal candidate must be highly motivated, independent, and a flexible thinker possessing the ability to collaborate with a wide array of people; detail-oriented while prioritizing big-picture strategies; enthusiastic about working with the CEO to build Powerhouse’s development department from the ground up; and able to pivot to meet the demands of a growing and evolving institution. The Director of Development will possess an understanding of communications strategies to advance fundraising and institutional growth.
- Develop and lead results-oriented strategic fundraising plans for Powerhouse, including implementation and management of all fundraising activities not limited to: setting annual goals, completing a campaign, operational protocols; gift policies and other guidelines; moves management and data management systems, and support for the CEO and members of the Board toward achieving stated financial goals
- Build and manage a development team responsible for implementing individual giving, special events, institutional giving, and other fundraising programs
- Work with the CEO and key consultants to define annual priorities, goals, and revenue and audience targets; and to define development initiatives, including major gifts programs, corporate sponsorships, special events, and institutional branding and program-focused PR
- Support the CEO on Board of Directors development and stewardship efforts, including empowering them to act as key spokespeople and fundraisers for the organization
- Establish and steward relationships with all funders (corporate, foundation, government, individuals) and partner organizations; craft individualized solicitation plans and hold a portfolio of donors for frontline fundraising
- Research, identify, and evaluate prospects, creating briefings as needed; create and execute individualized strategies toward giving, sponsorship, and/or cross-marketing opportunities
- Oversee Powerhouse’s annual fundraising calendar, including the submission of grant applications and reports
- Design and oversee compelling special events and donor cultivation opportunities
- Based in or willing to relocate to New York and possesses significant experience in fundraising and nonprofit arts management
- Demonstrated ability to establish and meet ambitious fundraising goals, carry out long-term strategies, and participate in contributing to the overall management of the income forecasting for financial modeling
- Proven capacity for management and supervision of staff and consultants
- Deep knowledge of the funding community in New York City and nationally
- Strong track record of building, sustaining, and growing long-term relationships with donors
- Exceptional interpersonal and writing skills
- Familiarity with managing external relations and marketing plans
- Experienced public speaker who is able to effectively communicate Powerhouse’s programs and mission
- Tactical, multitasking thinker who can work simultaneously on immediate goals and long-term strategies
- Ability to foster a collaborative, reflective, open, collaborative office culture
- Comprehensive, up-to-date knowledge of nonprofit financial compliance and governance requirements
- Experience working at start-up organizations, a plusCommitted to equity and inclusion in the workplace
- Proficient with Salesforce and other industry-standard software and technologies
- Passionate about Powerhouse’s mission to support the needs of working artists
Powerhouse Arts is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants receive consideration without regard to race, age, ethnicity, religion, gender, national origin, disability or any other basis prohibited by law. We're committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace and strongly encourage applicants from all backgrounds.
Compensation includes a generous benefits package.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
To Apply: Interested candidates should submit a PDF resume and cover letter to [email protected], with Director of Development in the email subject line, and your first and last name in the PDF file name.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert