The Philadelphia Academy of School Leaders
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Education
Postal code: 19102
Country: United States
The Philadelphia Academy of School Leaders, Inc. (School Leaders) was created in 2015 based on the belief that Philadelphia’s strength as a city depends on its ability to deliver quality educational opportunities for all 215,000 students in its district, charter, and faith-based schools.
Realizing this vision requires strong leadership in our schools. Recognizing that leadership is the catalyst for change, School Leaders invests in leaders across district, charter, and faith-based schools in Philadelphia. Our programs develop principals – and the system leaders who supervise and support principals – by providing hands-on, relevant, and actionable training and cultivating collaboration among a network of outstanding peers. We provide school and system leaders with the necessary tools, skills, and networks to elevate their performance and improve school and student outcomes. Now in our fifth year, School Leaders serves nearly one-third of Philadelphia’s principals, the critical mass needed to drive systemic change for our city’s schools and students.
The Program Director will play an instrumental role in supporting School Leaders’ vision of a highly effective principal in each Philadelphia district, charter, and faith-based school who ensures every student is prepared for college, career, and life. The Program Director will report to the Deputy Executive Director and serve as a member of the program team. The Program Director will design, lead, and implement a portfolio of School Leaders’ programs to ensure participants experience engaging and impactful leadership development opportunities that build their capacity to improve schools and dramatically increase student outcomes.
The Program Director’s responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
Lead program design
- Directly design, lead, and implement a portfolio of School Leaders’ programs
- Develop or refine program-specific goals and session objectives aligned with organizational metrics
- Prioritize competencies for development and design aligned scope and sequence
- Manage towards annual program metrics aligned to School Leaders’ mission, strategies, and goals
- Collaborate with school and system leaders to identify needs, align programs to address those needs, and coordinate program implementation
- Support program evaluation and incorporate findings into program design and implementation as part of a continuous improvement process
Ensure high-quality program implementation
- Develop program content and delivery aligned to program goals and prioritized competencies
- Design sessions that model effective adult learning principles
- Identify and partner with faculty – either internally within School Leaders or external individuals or organizations – to plan, develop content and delivery, and debrief sessions
- Directly facilitate sessions and other activities with program participants as applicable
- Support program-specific participant recruitment and selection
- Oversee stakeholder communication with participants, faculty, school system partners, and others
- Supervise event logistics to ensure seamless, efficient, and effective program delivery
- Support program team staff to ensure program quality and consistency
Provide organizational leadership
- Serve as a thought-partner to the Deputy Executive Director and Executive Director in developing and refining School Leaders’ overall program portfolio
- Support development of leadership framework and role-specific competencies for participants
- Lead design and implementation of a Learning Management System to support all of School Leaders’ programming
Additionally, the Program Director will fulfill any other responsibilities as needed or assigned by the Deputy Executive Director or the Executive Director.
The Philadelphia Academy of School Leaders, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For more information about School Leaders, please visit our website at phillyschoolleaders.org.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following competencies:
- Passionately believes that all students can achieve at high levels
- Exhibits a strong focus on goals and results – including a track record of meeting or exceeding goals – and holds self personally accountable
- Develops, articulates, and builds buy-in to a clear vision
- Builds positive relationships with diverse stakeholders and maintains a service orientation
- Motivates, inspires, and moves other adults to action to achieve ambitious goals
- Communicates effectively in both written and verbal communication – actively listens and tailors message for audience, context, and mode of communication
- Plans strategically and offers innovative solutions to challenging problems
- Demonstrates excellent project management and implementation skills – works efficiently, maintains attention to detail, and is able to plan, multi-task, adapt, and balance requests from many stakeholders
- Exhibits a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Demonstrates an entrepreneurial mindset and ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Maintains a positive attitude, flexibility, and humor
The ideal candidate will have the following experience:
- A minimum of 5 years of strategic leadership and management experience in a K-12 education setting, preferably with experience as a K-12 principal or school leader
- A proven track record of training, developing, and/or coaching adult learners to improve practice
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office and Google-based applications
- Bachelor degree required. Master’s degree in education, public policy, management, or related field preferred.
Compensation is competitive and based on experience. The Philadelphia Academy of School Leaders, Inc. offers a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please send your resume and a role-specific cover letter to [email protected]. Applications to this position will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert