Director of Operations
The Philadelphia Academy of School Leaders
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Education
Postal code: 19102
Country: United States
The Philadelphia Academy of School Leaders, Inc. (School Leaders) was created in 2015 based on the belief that Philadelphia’s strength as a city depends on its ability to deliver quality educational opportunities for all 215,000 students in its district, charter, and faith-based schools.
Realizing this vision requires strong leadership in our schools. Recognizing that leadership is the catalyst for change, School Leaders invests in leaders across district, charter, and faith-based schools in Philadelphia. Our programs develop principals – and the system leaders who supervise and support principals – by providing hands-on, relevant, and actionable training and cultivating collaboration among a network of outstanding peers. We provide school and system leaders with the necessary tools, skills, and networks to elevate their performance and improve school and student outcomes. Now in our fifth year, School Leaders serves nearly one-third of Philadelphia’s principals, the critical mass needed to drive systemic change for our city’s schools and students.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Operations will play a key role in developing operational capacity and supporting the organization’s strategic growth. As School Leaders expands in size and programs, we seek an experienced Director of Operations to design systems, processes, and tools to help us operate efficiently and effectively. This position will oversee operations, finance, technology, and human resources.
The Director of Operations’ responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Develop, implement, and monitor operational systems and processes
- Design standardized processes, templates, and tools to support efficient and effective performance
- Recognize and anticipate operational opportunities and challenges, generating solutions for improvement
- Manage consultants to identify, implement, and maintain updated technology systems and infrastructure
- Set goals and strategy to maximize internal systems and knowledge management, including Salesforce, Dropbox, Google Drive, and calendars
- Maintain the physical office space, including furniture, technology, and office supplies
Accounting and Finance
- Support annual budget forecasting and planning to ensure efficient resource allocation
- Manage budget – enter and review financial transactions, monitor cash flow, anticipate variances
- Review organizational and staff expense accounts and reimbursements
- Oversee financial reporting for board, grants, and contracts
- Manage all vendor contracts and relationships with external non-program vendors and partners
- Manage external accountant and auditor
- Serve as point person on human resources, including payroll, benefits administration, and compliance
- Create human resource policies, processes, and templates, including onboarding processes and tools
- Develop processes and tools to support performance management, individual goal setting aligned to organizational goals, and progress monitoring of milestones
- Supervise and support Project Associate
Additionally, the Director of Operations will fulfill any other responsibilities as needed or assigned by the Executive Director.
The Philadelphia Academy of School Leaders, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For more information about School Leaders, please visit our website at phillyschoolleaders.org.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following competencies:
- Passionately believes that all students can achieve at high levels
- Exhibits a strong focus on goals and results – including a track record of meeting or exceeding goals – and holds self personally accountable
- Designs and implements operational systems and processes that support efficiency and productivity
- Demonstrates excellent analytical skills, data-driven decision-making, and judgment
- Communicates effectively in both written and verbal communication – tailors message for audience, context, and mode of communication
- Builds positive relationships with diverse stakeholders and maintains a service orientation
- Demonstrates excellent project management and implementation skills – works efficiently, maintains attention to detail, and is able to plan, multi-task, adapt, and balance requests from many stakeholders
- Demonstrates an entrepreneurial mindset and ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Exhibits a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Maintains a positive attitude, flexibility, and humor
The ideal candidate will have the following experience:
- 5 or more years of progressively increasing operational or financial leadership experience in a growing organization, preferably in a non-profit setting
- Demonstrable track record of developing, implementing, and managing operational systems and processes to ensure maximum efficiency and productivity
- Significant experience with at least several of the following functions: operations, finance, human resources, technology, and legal services
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office and Google-based applications
- Bachelor degree required; Master’s degree in business or related field preferred
Compensation is competitive and based on experience. The Philadelphia Academy of School Leaders, Inc. offers a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please send your resume and a role-specific cover letter to [email protected]. Applications to this position will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert