Manager of Digital Media and Content
Lucas Museum of Narrative Art
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Arts, Culture and Humanities
City: Los Angeles
Postal code: 90015
Country: United States
About the Lucas Museum of Narrative Art
Founded by philanthropist and filmmaker George Lucas and his wife, Mellody Hobson, Co-CEO and President of Ariel Investments, the Lucas Museum of Narrative Art will inspire current and future generations through the universal art of visual storytelling. The museum will present a permanent collection and rotating exhibitions for diverse public audiences which will feature illustrations, paintings, comic art, photography, and an in-depth exploration of the arts of filmmaking (including storyboards, costumes, animation, visual effects, and more). Extensive education programming designed for all ages will explore innovative ways for visitors to engage with narrative art. Designed by renowned architect Ma Yansong of MAD Architects and under construction in Los Angeles’ Exposition Park, the museum will feature new public green space, state-of-the-art cinematic theaters, a research library, numerous spaces for onsite education, restaurants, retail, and event spaces. Additional information at lucasmuseum.org.
Equal Opportunity Policy
The Lucas Museum of Narrative Art embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents and supports a variety of backgrounds and perspectives. The Lucas Museum fosters a work environment that is free of discrimination and harassment, whether based on race, national origin, gender, gender expression, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. We believe that diversity and inclusion among our team is critical to our success, and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain talented people from a diverse candidate pool. Applications from traditionally underrepresented communities are encouraged to apply.
The statements in this description represent typical elements, criteria, and general work performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for the job.
Applicants interested in this role are strongly encouraged to apply at: https://lucasmuseum.workable.com/
Position Summary (Intent and purpose of the role)
Reporting to the Director, Communications and Marketing, the Manager of Digital Media and Content will be responsible for the Lucas Museum’s digital media strategy development, production, and implementation. This position will work with various team members inside and outside the External Affairs division to produce and publish engaging content across the museum’s website and social media channels, using a voice that is distinct to the museum’s brand. This position will play a key role in engaging the public with the museum in advance of and after the museum’s opening by monitoring, engaging, and growing the museum’s various online communities, and will be essential to amplifying the museum’s programming and accessibility. This position will also help with the design and development of the website in the lead-up to the museum’s opening.
The Manager of Digital Media and Content will create and distribute regular reports to team members across the museum and use data to augment strategy to best achieve goals. In addition, this position will be charged with managing and archiving institutional photography/videography assets for use in museum communications. The ideal candidate has experience managing website content, producing excellent social media content, and has a passion and curiosity for art, museums, community, writing, current and emerging social media trends, the user experience and storytelling.
All staff at the Lucas Museum of Narrative Art lead through a deep commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, both within the Museum and with the communities that we serve.
Salary and titles will be assigned commensurate to the successful candidates’ education and experience. An attractive compensation package will be offered to the successful candidate(s).
This is an exempt, benefits-eligible role with an expected opening salary range of $82,900 - 91,200 per year.
Core competencies for this role
- Creating & Innovating - Produces new ideas, approaches or insights; creates innovative products or designs; produces a range of solutions to problems; seeks opportunities for organizational improvement;
- Planning & Organizing - Sets clearly defined objectives; plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances; manages time effectively; identifies and organizes resources needed to accomplish tasks; monitors performance against deadlines and milestones;
- Presenting & Communicating Information - Speaks clearly and fluently; expresses opinions, information, and key points of an argument clearly;
- Delivering Results & Meeting Expectations - Sets high standards for quality and quantity of personal work product; monitors and maintains quality and productivity; works in a systematic, methodical and orderly way; consistently achieves project goals;
- Writing & Reporting - Writes clearly, succinctly and correctly; writes convincingly in an engaging and expressive manner; avoids the unnecessary use of jargon or complicated language; writes in a well-structured and logical way; structures information to meet the needs and understanding of the intended audience;
- Working with People- Demonstrates an interest in and understanding of others; adapts to the team and builds team spirit; recognizes and rewards the contribution of others; listens, consults others, and communicates proactively; supports and cares for others; develops and openly communicates self-insight.
Primary Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Assists department in the development of a new pre-opening website and transitioning it to the permanent website for the museum opening;
- Assists department in the development of website sections that will include ticketing integration, visitor information, permanent collections portal, and more;
- Works with Marketing Manager and team to analyze and optimize the website to aid in selling tickets to programming, events and special exhibits;
- Works with Curatorial and Visitor Experience teams on digital project initiatives and new ways to show the collections;
- Keeps website section content updated and relevant, including information on all upcoming and past programming, collections, and building information;
- Creates and distributes regular reports to team members across the museum and uses data to augment strategy to best achieve department and museum goals;
Social Media Management
- Develops and executes social media strategy;
- Engages the public with the museum in advance of and after the museum’s opening by monitoring, engaging, and growing the museum’s various online communities;
- Uses social media to promote and amplifying the museum’s programming;
- Posts regularly to all social media accounts and platforms, including Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, TikTok, WhatsApp, YouTube, SnapChat, WeChat, Pinterest, and LinkedIn, in addition to creating accounts and strategy for the museum on new digital platforms;
- Regularly monitors social media accounts and responds to comments/questions in a timely manner;
- Gathers, reports, analyzes and presents social media performance metrics and analytics;
- Works with Marketing Manager and team on social media advertising;
- Stays current on digital and social media trends;
Content Production and Management
- Oversees and produces all photography/videography creative content;
- Sources and hires photographers/videographers for programs and other events and special projects throughout the year;
- Accompanies photographers/videographers on all shoots, including construction shoots;
- Routes video projects for necessary approvals;
- Manages all photography/videography deliverables, ensures that content is properly formatted;
- Manages archive of all External Affairs photography/videography, including creating selects from each shoot.
Special projects and other duties as designated by the Director of Communications and Marketing, Managing Director of External Affairs, Deputy Director or assigned designee.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, art, museum studies, journalism, communications, new media, or related field required;
- Minimum of five (5) years of previous experience working in a communications, digital media, or social media role is required;
- Two (2) years of prior experience managing social media channels for a brand or non-profit;
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Excellent writing, editing, copy editing, and proofreading skills;
- Excellent project management and organizational skills with a proven ability to plan schedules, track progress, prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines;
- An eye for details and inconsistencies, both in writing and style;
- Ability to adapt written voice and design/visuals to fit channel and brand;
- A self-starter and creative thinker;
- A team player who can work collaboratively with stakeholders from other departments, possessing a great attitude and desire to help others as needed;
- In-depth knowledge of the current social media landscape and trends;
- Experience in website development and content management systems;
- Experience using social media scheduling, monitoring, listening, and engagement tools (e.g. Hootsuite, Meltwater);
- Understanding of the digital advertising and social media paid marketing ecosystems;
- Experience with photography and photo editing software (e.g. Photoshop);
- Experience creating storylines, shooting, and editing videos for social media formats;
- Familiarity with basic graphic design and tools (e.g. Illustrator);
- Ability to negotiate the requests and needs of different internal stakeholders while firmly advocating for our audiences;
- Ability to be a team player with a great attitude and desire to help others as needed;
- Ability to manage multiple deadlines across projects both large and small in scope;
- Ability to learn, work, and grow within a fast-paced, challenging environment.
Salary and titles will be assigned commensurate to the successful candidate’s education and experience. An attractive compensation package will be offered to the successful candidates.
The Lucas Museum of Narrative Art is proud to offer the following benefits to our full-time, benefits eligible staff:
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Voluntary Supplemental Life Insurance
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- Voluntary Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 403B Plan with employer match
- Parental Leave
- Family Medical Leave
- Healthcare Spending Account
- Dependent Care Spending Account
- Commuter Spending Accounts
- PTO (starting at 26 days your first year)
- Paid Holidays
- Employee Assistance Program
$75k - 90k
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Applicants interested in applying should visit: https://lucasmuseum.workable.com/j/3A71DD59F6?viewed=true
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert