Executive Director & CEO
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Human Services
City: New York
Postal code: 10010
State: New York
Country: United States
About Phipps Neighborhoods
Phipps Neighborhoods helps children, youth, and families in low-income communities rise above poverty. Presently, the focus of their work is in several South Bronx neighborhoods and one neighborhood in Manhattan. In the coming years, the geographic scope will extend to the Far Rockaways and Brooklyn neighborhoods where Phipps Houses is developing new housing. Phipps Neighborhoods is dedicated to their neighborhoods for the long term, supporting individuals and families as they establish self-sufficiency. With a current annual budget of $23 million and over 250 full- and part-time employees, Phipps Neighborhoods’ programs create opportunities for people to thrive in every aspect of their lives. Phipps Neighborhoods, a 501(c)(3) organization, is an affiliate of Phipps Houses, a not-for-profit organization dedicated to affordable housing creation and stewardship, and works closely with that organization, both on mission-driven and administrative objectives.
For more information about Phipps Neighborhoods, go to http://www.phippsny.org
Executive Director & CEO
Phipps Neighborhoods seeks a seasoned executive leader to be its next Executive Director & CEO (ED/CEO) who is passionate and effective about providing access to opportunities for people living in poverty. This next ED/CEO will have vision, the ability to clearly communicate that vision to the broader community and the expertise to manage superior execution of that vision. The candidate should have the ability to be a thought leader in the fields of social service, career development and educational programming while being equally adept at building the infrastructure required to implement complex, effective programs. The ED/CEO will work closely the board of Phipps Neighborhoods, which is chaired by Phipps Houses’ CEO and overlaps somewhat with Phipps Houses’ board, to maximize the impact of the organization and to provide the most effective programming possible. The candidate must be an inspiring leader who can build relationships with government officials, foundations, corporations, board members and community leaders. The ED/CEO will be responsible for managing, guiding, integrating and developing the team of professionals that operate programs, as well as oversee the administrative and cultural well-being of the organization.
The new ED/CEO will have the opportunity to grow programming in communities where Phipps owns housing and in the coming years, new communities where new housing is in development. Opportunities exist to design and implement new approaches that address needs of community members, as well as making modifications to existing programs for continuing excellence. The ED/CEO will be fully responsible for prioritizing and realizing program objectives, hiring staff, and assuming a role among New York City's thought leaders. S/he will have considerable freedom to initiate and pursue program modifications and goals, while being part of and contributing to a larger corporate framework that provides housing and administrative support.
Leadership & Executive Management
- Provide strategic vision and leadership for Phipps Neighborhoods in service of its mission, with an eye for the possible and how both the organization and program participants can achieve ambitious but specific goals.
- Serve as both the external and internal leader of Phipps Neighborhoods by effectively communicating mission and vision.
- Be a leading voice in providing access to important opportunities including education career development, and community-based supports to those served by Phipps Neighborhoods with attention on those residing in housing owned by Phipps Houses.
- Demonstrate an ability to motivate staff and program participants, set standards for program performance, and know details of program activities while delegating responsibility with accountability to subordinates.
- Foster collaboration and consensus building at all levels of the organization in partnership with other community organizations that offer particular expertise for program success, and in particular with Phipps Houses.
- Ensure that talent, data and technology are aligned to measure and meet goals and expectations.
- Be a problem solver. Find creative solutions to problems, both in the operation of programs and the obstacles that participants experience.
- Lead and cultivate fundraising and partnership efforts with public sector, foundation sources and community organizations.
- Oversee development and communications teams and assure best practices for grant identification, writing and management.
- Build strong relationships and partnerships with other community service organizations and government agencies.
- Guide development team to motivate both lay leaders and professionals in their fundraising efforts and to develop effective diversified strategies to increase funding from multiple sources including major gifts from key individuals, foundations, and corporate partners as well as government grants.
Governance and Financial Oversight
- Communicate regularly with the Board and programmatic collaborators, including Phipps Houses, about execution of mission and strategy. Deepen and diversify Board involvement to advance the organization’s mission and to meet strategic objectives.
- Demonstrate analytical skills and business judgment in developing and managing financial and other resources.
- Work closely with the volunteer leadership and staff responsible for finance and administration, ensuring fiscal oversight and accountability.
- Demonstrated track record of success, leadership, strategic thinking and management of risks in large-sized organizations.
- Integrity in dealings with others and ability to learn from failures.
- Proven success in growing relationships with board members, staff, and partners/collaborators.
- Experience as an effective manager, preferably in the fields of social service programming, education, career development, healthcare management or a relevant field.
- Proven management of diverse teams with emotional intelligence, authenticity and compassion.
- Experience in encouraging mission-driven investment by government agencies, foundations, and corporations. Excellent listening and communication skills.
- Has a history of viewing the world through a rational, results oriented lens.
- Understanding of marketing, branding, and how to implement strategies to increase awareness and relationships.
This position description is based upon material provided by the Phipps Neighborhoods, an equal opportunity employer.
Salary competitive with experience and complexity of position
Mimi Corcoran, Search Consultant
Ami Abramson, Chief Strategy Officer
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
To apply to this position please visit www.DRGsearch.com
Posted By: DRG Search
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert