Director of Operations and Finance
Catalyst Public Schools
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Education
Postal code: 98311
Country: United States
Catalyst supports our diverse scholars to live full lives and to succeed in college, career, and life. Scholars will find their purpose and passion so that they can cultivate the critical hope, optimism and leadership essential to be catalysts in their community and world.
Catalyst's graduates build a strong understanding of themselves, envision the world in which they want to live, and develop the agency to access the future of their dreams.
You are passionate about what is possible for the young people of Bremerton and you believe that you can play an integral role in realizing Catalyst’s mission and vision. You love building efficient and user-friendly systems for operations and finance. You have an impeccable eye for detail and can thrive in an environment where juggling day-to-day tasks is balanced with long term strategy. You are a leader, a self-starter, a problem-solver, and you love to find solutions to complex operational and financial conundrums. You are a collaborator and like to work as part of a team even when your work streams are unique to you. You are willing to challenge yourself and your colleagues to realize a school where every person is known, loved, and challenged each day.
Being a part of the Catalyst team is a unique opportunity. We are deeply committed to achieving our mission of supporting our diverse scholars to live full lives and to succeed in college, career, and life and of finding their purpose and passion so that they can cultivate the critical hope, optimism and leadership essential to be catalysts in their community and world. Our schools are tightly-knit families where every child is known, loved, and challenged. Our strong community is rooted in high expectations, joy and exudes our core values:
Belonging. We are stronger together.
Resiliency. What we do today is what matters most.
Achievement. When you succeed, we all succeed.
Vulnerability. I speak my truth and I listen to yours.
Enthusiasm. We show our spark and bring our hearts.
of the Director of Finance and Operations:
- Leadership & Team Management: Works with the co-founders and administrative staff to create and maintain an exceptional organizational culture by building strong relationships, working well across lines of difference, finding solutions to problems, and holding others accountable to systems. In partnership with the co-founders, develops the school-wide operations vision that supports the academic and cultural vision of the school. Participates in the leadership team’s strategic and annual planning and budgeting processes.
- Financial Planning and Purchasing: Oversees procurement for the school, manages cash receipts, deposits, credit card reconciliations, and staff expense reimbursements. Submits bi-weekly payroll and oversees time tracking for hourly staff and substitute teachers and tracks teacher PTO. Implements and ensures adherence to financial policies. Aids the co-founders with budget management by tracking monthly operational expenses and communicating budget variances. Manages financial data for all reporting entities. Serves as the lead contact for the back office provider.
- Student Information and Reporting: Manages the student information system to perform data audits and ensure error-free student records. Oversees daily attendance reporting and intervention process by creating a system to communicate absences to teachers, parents, and administrators that complies with state law on mandatory student attendance. Ensures confidentiality and security of files and all information pertaining to students, parents, staff, and community members.
- State & Federal Compliance: Acts as the point of contact for the school on all compliance-related data requests. Ensures processes are in place to monitor compliance with state and federal regulations for school operations (e.g., Free and Reduced Lunch, Special Education, monthly enrollment count, immunizations) and meets all compliance deadlines.
- School Nutrition Program: Oversees all aspects of the School Nutrition Program including managing food servers, coordinating with meal vendor, maintaining accurate data tracking for meal reimbursement, and ensuring food safety standards and federal compliance requirements are observed. Manages ordering process to minimize food waste and ensure meal program financial health. Oversees annual lunch application process including the distribution and collection of free and reduced lunch forms, coordination of the income verification process, and accurate data input of students’ lunch status into the student information system. Manages the logistics of meal delivery (breakfast, lunch, snacks) including cafeteria schedules and routines.
- Student Transportation: Oversees all aspects of student transportation including vendor management, arrival and dismissal procedures, and staff duty schedules. Coordinates the school’s transportation services to ensure eligible students receive transportation in a safe, reliable, and cost-efficient manner. Maintains accurate transportation records including bus stop locations, route times, and student ridership counts. Ensures that all transportation issues and complaints are documented and parent concerns are resolved as soon as possible. Manages field trip and after-school transportation logistics.
- Facilities: Oversees the school’s facility including signage, aesthetics, shared space coordination, and building safety. Manages routine maintenance requests, ensuring maintenance, janitorial and landscape services are properly carried out. Oversees the upkeep of the school’s facilities and coordinates school facility projects. Performs regular preventative maintenance walkthroughs with custodial staff and provides training to school staff to manage issues immediately. Ensures the main office is organized and welcoming and contains all pertinent parent materials.
- Student Enrollment and Lottery: Develops and manages the annual student recruitment strategy to ensure that enrollment targets are met by the start of school. Oversees registration and enrollment database, including student recruitment, lottery and waitlist management and actively recruits to fill empty seats. Conducts parent enrollment orientations and ensures parents receive key information about the school prior to enrolling students.
- Student Health and Safety: Manages school safety processes including emergency preparation, safety drills, and staff training, ensuring compliance with state and county mandates. Oversees school visitor and volunteer procedure to ensure the safety of all students. Oversees student health requirements and liaises with contracted nurse to ensure student health needs are met.
- Event Planning & Coordination: Plans and coordinates logistics for school events and activities as needed, including back to school nights and parent conferences/meetings. Acts as point of contact special events hosted at the school. Oversees other tasks or special projects as needed.
- Technology Management: Oversees technology hardware inventory, software licenses, and provides technology support. Creates distribution system for staff and student use. Keeps record of signed staff and student technology agreements.
- Lead Community Engagement Events: Leads and coordinates community engagement events and strategy, including but not limited to: tabling at community events, canvassing neighborhoods, attending conferences and/or community meetings, creating structure and agendas for informational meetings.
SKILLS AND CHARACTERISTICS
of a Director of Finance and Operations
- Enthusiasm for and an unyielding belief in Catalyst’s mission and vision and the Bremerton community
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Use of data to drive all decision making
- Belief in the importance of working in a diverse, inclusive, and equity driven workplace
- Deep desire to grow and learn even when it is uncomfortable
- Collaborate with teammates and families to ensure Catalyst makes good on our mission
- Communicate clearly and effectively with scholars, families, colleagues, and team and with excellence
EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND, PASSION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
of a Director of Finance and Operations
Humility, sense of humor, and rock-solid commitment to Catalyst Public Schools’ mission and the communities we serve.
Education Required: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; Master’s degree preferred
Ideal work experience:
3+ years in operations management, finance, or management consulting
Knowledge of financial models and prior experience creating and managing budgets (particularly in the nonprofit sector)
A demonstrated passion for improving K-12 public education; prior experience working with underserved communities, families and/or students preferred
Experience managing others
Positive attitude and strong work ethic with an entrepreneurial spirit; willingness to do whatever it takes to meet goals and get the job done
Comfortable in an ambiguous, fast-moving, start-up environment with a drive towards clarity and solutions
Demonstrated success in improving the effectiveness of an operation; ability to create and implement internal systems across multiple functional areas and manage various stakeholder relationships
Strong analytical and project management skills, with a deep attention to detail coupled with the ability to think critically, problem-solve complex questions, and identify solutions
Successful background check
Spanish speaking and writing a plus
Demonstrated initiative, leadership and tenacity with a desire to grow as a professional
Highly proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook; proven aptitude in learning new software and project management tools
WE ARE COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
Catalyst Public Schools seeks individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply for this position. We believe that maximizing the diversity of our organization and recruiting a team that reflects the diversity of our scholars is good for our whole community.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Equal employment opportunity and respect in the workplace are the foundation of Catalyst Public Schools. We prohibit and do not tolerate harassment, intimidation, bullying, discriminatory, or retaliatory behavior. All aspects of your employment are based upon your personal capabilities and qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion/creed, sex/gender (including pregnancy and gender identity), sexual orientation or perceived sexual orientation, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, disability, age, military status, marital status, partnership status, status as a victim of domestic violence, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or any other protected class as established by federal, state, or local law.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please send cv and cover letter to [email protected]
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert