REPORTS TO: Director of Member Services & Partner Engagement
EFFECTIVE DATE: November 2019
The member services manager is responsible for strengthening NCAN members’ capacity by managing professional development content and member services, increasing knowledge sharing about current sector issues and trends, and promoting strong partnerships in the postsecondary pipeline. The incumbent will have a deep understanding of NCAN-members’ professional development needs; have experience designing curriculum and training; will be adeptly in tune with a range of effective practices that impact student outcomes, and have a strong commitment to and passion for achieving NCAN’s mission. The member services manager will execute a flexible and strategic membership recruitment and engagement plan designed to strengthen NCAN-members’ capacity. He/she is also responsible for managing the member services associate and database manager.
A successful candidate will be a detail-oriented self-starter with strong relationship building skills who has demonstrated experience in developing professional development opportunities as well as management experience in the field of college access and success.
The annual salary range is $80,000 – 90,000, depending on experience. This position is based in NCAN’s Washington, D.C. office and is not eligible for remote employment. Some travel required, including but not limited to NCAN’s national conference.
NCAN is a small, collaborative team of experienced professionals who are fully committed to achieving equity for students historically underrepresented in higher education. Our work environment is fast-paced but family friendly and provides opportunities for team members to use their talents to their fullest extent. As a national membership network, we are continually informed and inspired by the efforts of organizations and systems across the country committed to breaking down barriers for students and support them to obtain college degrees and successful careers.
NCAN currently offers a robust employee benefits package, including:
• 3 weeks of vacation during the first year of employment
• 100 percent coverage of the employee’s health insurance premium (spouse/dependents covered at employee expense)
• 1 day a week of teleworking for employees in good standing
• Up to a 13 percent 401(k) plan contribution (depending the employee’s own contribution and duration of service)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Work in concert with the Member Services team to oversee the annual membership cycle and drive high quality content and member services for over 500 NCAN member organizations.
• Execute member recruitment and engagement strategies and analyze trends in member recruitment and acceptance, membership renewal, and member engagement
• Plan and implement professional development content for in-person convenings such as NCAN’s national conference and spring training events; online/virtual content such as webinars and NCAN’s eLearning platform; and other online resources and tools
• Contribute to the knowledge sharing of the field by writing regular articles for NCAN’s blog and newsletters, identifying trends in college access and success, summarizing research happening across the field, sharing knowledge about NCAN’s members, students, and effective practices
2. Develop an evidence-based member capacity framework and maintain oversight of its implementation and evaluation.
• Distribute the member-capacity framework among NCAN members
• Align existing and new tools and resources to the framework
• Evaluate and adjust on an annual basis, and as appropriate
3. Work collaboratively with the Director of Data & Evaluation to gather member feedback and adjust services as appropriate
• Design and administer an annual member satisfaction survey
• Evaluate effectiveness of specific member services and offerings (trainings, webinars, etc)
4. Work in concert with the NCAN Leadership team and Members Services team to drive content for NCAN’s national conference
• Manage the conference call for proposal process and selection
• Design opportunities for member learning and networking (success gallery; conference learning communities by role/sector; etc)
• Oversee member recognition opportunities (Awards of Excellence)
5. Work in concert with the NCAN Leadership team and Members Services team to drive content for NCAN’s spring training events (and other in-person professional development events)
• Identify trends and design content to strengthen NCAN member and non-member learnings in the field of college access and success
• Lead and manage the coordination efforts to deliver high quality content
6. Supervise, manage and coach NCAN’s Member Services Associate and Database Manager
• Guide and oversee projects and tasks, offering frequent direction and feedback
• Contribute to team members’ recommendations for professional development and growth
• Co-lead team meetings to ensure project/task execution is effective and timely
7. Other duties as assigned, include, but are not limited to:
• Participating in grant projects designed to support member programs, as assigned.
• Representing NCAN externally as needed.