JOB TITLE: Contracts and Procurement Analyst
LOCATION: Portland, OR
COMPENSATION: $48,000 - $55,000 starting based on experience
JOB START DATE: November 2019, or as available
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled
Come join a growing team of conservation professionals at the Xerces Society who are dedicated to protecting some of the world’s most important animals. Invertebrates such as butterflies, bees, and freshwater mussels are essential to the reproduction of most flowering plants, including many fruits, vegetables, and nuts; they play an important role in pest management, watershed health, and are a critical food source for birds, fish, and other animals.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING:
You’ll help Xerces’ administrative and program teams to function with efficiency, energy and professionalism by leading contracting and procurement activities which allow us to accomplish our vital mission. This includes developing, negotiating and reviewing contract terms, advising staff in procurement processes, and interpreting laws and compliance terms. You’ll report to the Director of Finance and Operations, and work independently with conservation staff, external partners, and program directors to facilitate and enable our conservation work.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assist Development staff in the pre-award activity between Xerces and external parties;
• Coordinate program, finance and development staff to create, review, negotiate, obtain approvals, finalize and process federal contracts, subcontracts, and amendment documents.
• For commercial and non-federal contacts, review contract terms for completeness, liability and risk, through comparison to similar Xerces’ template forms, identifying and independently resolving issues with finance and program staff.
• Review customer forms and agreements, create provisions to bring critical terms into compliance with Xerces policies, negotiate, obtain approvals, finalize and process complex contracts, subcontracts and amendment documents.
• Ensure completion of each award’s contract checklist; intake, execution, and close-out.
• Communicate issues of significance with admin and program staff; providing education on pre-award, contractual, and procurement requirements.
• Proactively evaluate contractual insurance requirements; manage issuance, and coverage needs.
• Monitor contracts and related documents, ensuring compliance from inception through termination.
• Oversee contracting, quoting, and payment processing for Conservation Activity Plans, including communication between program staff, landowners, and federal agencies.
• Manage implementation of compliance requirements of funding agencies into Xerces policies.
• Maintain and make routine updates to contract templates, including those for commercial co-ventures, licensing, royalties, sponsorships, fee for service activity, and independent contractors.
• Schedule and lead Contract Kick-Off Meetings; create and share final checklist of action items.
• Interpret critical provisions, provide analysis of consequences and assist in enforcement of Xerces’ contract rights. Provide support to program staff in the interpretation of contract terms.
• Maintain procurement policy in accordance to federal Uniform Guidance for grant recipients, training staff on procedures as appropriate
• Identify and review procurement decisions, complete vendor eligibility and prequalification
• Negotiate professional service contracts/subcontracts.
• Coordinate monitoring of subcontractor billing, processing of subcontractor invoices and reporting with program staff in accordance with Xerces financial policies and federal Uniform Guidance as applicable.
• Assist with RFP development and vendor decision process.
• Process invoices received from Xerces subcontractors; obtain program staff approval, track versus budget, and submit to A/P.
Legal and Tax
• Proactively identify legal risks, issues, and alternatives implied in Xerces vendor, grant recipient, and customer contracts, consulting with supervisor to research and seek help when needed.
• Interface with Xerces’ outside counsel to establish and maintain trademark rights, and draft, negotiate, revise and finalize contracts for new programs, offerings and transactions.
• Identify and address contract terms which have potential unrelated business income tax impact such as royalties, or sales promotion.
STATUS: Full-Time, exempt administrative position, scheduled to work ~ 40 hours/week.BENEFITS: This position includes a generous benefits package: eleven paid holidays, paid time off, paid health, dental, and disability insurance, option to participate in a pre-tax flexible spending account for medical and dependent care expenses, participation in a 401k retirement program upon eligibility and a flexible work environment.
Equal Employment Opportunity: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
TERMS: The Xerces Society is an at-will employer. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
MORE INFORMATION: For more information on the Xerces Society and our programs, please see our website: www.xerces.org