Data Scientist, People Analytics
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Function: Human Resources/Recruiting
Primary domain: Science/Technology
Postal code: 98101
Country: United States
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is seeking a Data Scientist to join its People Analytics team in Human Resources. The Data Scientist, People Analytics will design and implement analytics-driven solutions in and outside of the function for the foundation's most pressing human capital priorities. Focus areas include diversity, equity & inclusion (DEI), organizational and team effectiveness analyses (e.g., manager effectiveness), talent analytics (e.g., hiring, career movement, retention and talent diversity impacts), organizational network analyses and predictive modeling.
The people data scientist role is responsible for distilling and delivering the output of multivariate cross-purpose analyses into actionable insights that enable the foundation to improve its processes and decision-making strategies. Key to success in this role is the ability serve as a strategic partner and consultant to leadership within HR, as well as with cross-foundation senior & executive leadership.
Leadership and Culture
We believe that energized people, working well together, fueled by great leadership in an inclusive environment in which they thrive, will do phenomenal things.
- Design and implement data science research projects that utilize advanced statistical methods, such as regression analysis and machine learning, to address existing talent and program issues, such as attrition, performance, and career progression.
- Ability to design, implement and analyze survey data, including comfort with taking action from the data (including ownership of foundation's enterprise survey platform and annual employee survey and mid-year manager effectiveness pulse survey).
- Draft technical documents and white papers summarizing data science research projects, including shorter executive summaries for presentation to senior & executive leadership.
- Distill and deliver complex analytics that translate into insights that helps foundation leaders make strategic decisions.
- Provide end-to-end research, program evaluation and strategic support for data-driven changes to programs, policies or initiatives.
Core Knowledge and Skills
People Analytics Background
- At least one year working within the field of people analytics.
Statistical Acumen & Applied Approaches to HR
- Familiarity with descriptive and inferential statistics (e.g., t-test, chi-square, correlation, multi-variate regression, decision trees) to understand usage behaviors, and generate and test hypotheses.
- A demonstrated ability to apply and integrate basic descriptive, as well as more advanced predictive analyses and reporting, to develop strategic and operational insights for HR and organization-wide decision-making (e.g., DEI, organizational and team effectiveness, and talent analytics).
Data Preparation and Data Set Creation
- Comfort working with complex business problems and issues using structured and unstructured data from both internal and external sources.
Experimental Design and Methodology
- Experience designing and analyzing A/B/n experiments, using appropriate statistical techniques to mitigate bias and interpret statistical significance.
- Key to this role is the ability to identify and interpret trends and patterns in datasets to locate influence points, as well as the ability to construct forecasts, recommendations and strategic/tactical plans based on business data and subject area expertise.
Survey Expertise & System Administration
- Support enterprise survey platform, design and deploy surveys, consult with users and report and interpret results.
- This role is accountable for the foundation's enterprise survey platform, Ultimate Perception, and all annual surveys, survey reporting and analysis, and action planning.
Storytelling with Data
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with experience distilling and presenting complex data analyses to large and small, technical and non-technical, audiences.
- Provide consultation to stakeholders within and outside of HR, and leading cross-functional teams to address business issues with data-driven written reports, summaries and dashboards.
Education and Experience
Ph.D. and/or Master's degree in quantitative Social or Physical Science, Statistics, Mathematics or Computer Science.
Advanced degree with 7+ years of experience in people analytics, or equivalent experience.
Required Tool Experience
Proficiency in a variety of analytical platforms, software languages and statistical tools
- Microsoft Office suite of products
- Data warehouse and management tools (Azure, SQL, AWS, Redshift),
- Data visualization tools (Power BI, Tableau),
- Data preparation and manipulation tools (Alteryx, Python, Databricks),
- Enterprise survey platform administration and utilization (Ultimate Perception, Culture Amp, Glint),
- Multivariate statistical platforms and languages (R, SAS, Stata, SPSS).
Applicants for this role will only be considered if they possess current work authorization in the USA and do not require employer-sponsored VISA support to begin or remain in this role.
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation will be contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is dedicated to the belief that all lives have equal value. We're committed to creating a workplace where employees thrive both personally and professionally. We also believe our employees should reflect the rich diversity of the global populations we aim to serve-in race, gender, age, cultures and beliefs-and we support this diversity through all of our employment practices.
All applicants and employees who are drawn to serve the mission of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation will enjoy equality of opportunity and fair treatment without regard to:
- Sexual Orientation
- Gender Identity
- Gender Expression
- National Origin
- Genetic Information
- Veteran Status
- Marital Status
- Prior Protected Activity
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
<img height=1 width=1 border=0 src=https://gatesfoundation.contacthr.com/72900519.jpg />
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar:
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert