Chief of Staff
The Health Initiative
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Function: General Management
Primary domain: Healthcare
Postal code: 02110
Country: United States
$1M - $3M
The Health Initiative (THI) is a new campaign founded on the radical notion that while our country is divided on healthcare, we actually are – or could be – united on health. We seek to shift the national conversation away from one focused almost exclusively on healthcare delivery (such as insurance, hospitals, doctors, and prescriptions), to one that includes a focus on the factors that impact Americans’ health on a daily basis (such as access to healthy foods, housing, and more). THI ultimately seeks to impact how the U.S. understands, talks about, funds, legislates, and delivers health equitably and sustainably. To do this, we will mobilize a diverse set of influencers in communities and within the health and healthcare industries, as well as within the realms of policy, politics, philanthropy, and academia to build broad engagement around our vision.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
The Health Initiative (THI) is a new campaign founded on the radical notion that while our country is divided on healthcare, we actually are – or could be – united on health. We seek to shift the national conversation away from one focused almost exclusively on healthcare delivery (such as insurance, hospitals, doctors, and prescriptions), to one that includes a focus on the factors that impact Americans' health on a daily basis (such as access to healthy foods, housing, and more). THI ultimately seeks to impact how the U.S. understands, talks about, funds, legislates, and delivers health equitably and sustainably. To do this, we will mobilize a diverse set of influencers in communities and within the health and healthcare industries, as well as within the realms of policy, politics, philanthropy, and academia to build broad engagement around our vision.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Chief of Staff supports the Co-Founders Rebecca Onie (CEO Emeritus and Co-founder of Health Leads) and Rocco Perla (former leader at the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation) across all of their responsibilities as they work to expand the impact of The Health Initiative. The Chief of Staff will be responsible for ensuring that time is allocated to the highest-priority workstreams, providing high-level support, developing and implementing communications, and providing relationship management strategies across the organization. They will also leverage their content expertise to support content generation and special projects. The Chief of Staff will manage a team (currently two staff) and engage directly with the Co-Founders and external partners.
This is an opportunity for a highly strategic, organized individual with exceptional professional judgment and communication skills to be a part of the development of an organization poised to create systems-level change.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Support and create leverage for the Co-Founders, helping to ensure that THI achieves its strategic objectives.
- Serve as right-hand to the Co-Founders thereby positioning them to focus on their unique roles as chief strategists, stewards, and leaders in the field.
- Serve as a critical thought partner to the Co-Founders on strategic direction and goals, key relationships, and organizational development.
- Ensure that Co-Founders' time and attention are put to the best possible use by understanding current and future priorities, working with the team to ensure alignment of calendars, and marshalling the resources they need to be effective.
- Maintain strong communication with Co-Founders and ensure alignment on key issues and priorities, enabling independent decision-making when` appropriate.
- Attend key external meetings with Co-Founders, building relationships with partners and ensuring that follow-up is communicated to team and executed in a timely manner.
- Provide support in strategic management of the Board of Directors including board engagement, strategy, and evolution.
- Manage, coach, and support team to ensure continued high-performance and professional development.
Communications and Relationship Management
Support and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders through effective and efficient communications and information-sharing.
- Develop and implement strategies and systems to ensure a high degree of responsiveness to external and internal stakeholders.
- Support engagement and cultivation of partners by supporting Co-Founders' needs in preparing for meetings, ensuring timely follow-up and execution on deliverables, and owning or supporting creation of materials as needed.
- Support development and stewardship of high-quality relationships by maintaining external relationships on behalf of THI and representing Co-Founders as appropriate.
- Maintain regular communication and strong working relationships with Co-Founders' direct reports (permanent and project-based) to facilitate aligned action and coordinated decision-making, and to ensure the team has what they need to succeed.
- Create, update, and maintain marketing collateral, proposals, and presentations designed to inspire and inform a range of audiences.
Support the development of organization-wide strategy and ensure team, systems, and operations work efficiently and effectively.
- Serve as a senior leader, inspiring and motivating others to engage fully and collaboratively in stewarding and executing the mission and vision of THI.
- Align and connect Co-Founders' priorities to organization-wide priorities and strategies ultimately translating their vision into action.
- Manage and own key projects as needed.
- Partner closely with the operations team to identify and address capacity needs.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Eight or more years of professional experience, ideally with at least three years focused on health.
- Experience supporting senior leaders and comfort with serving as a thought partner on broad, strategic initiatives.
- Superb writing skills and an ability to draft external-ready content (emails, memos, and presentations) with minimal instruction or oversight; strong knowledge of PowerPoint is required.
- Strong communication and presentation skills and an ability to deliver timely, relevant, mission-critical information in a clear and concise manner.
- Track record of building strong, professional relationships with colleagues and external stakeholders at all levels and across a variety of contexts, including external consultants.
- Exceptional professional judgment, a high level of trust, and an ability to challenge senior leaders when necessary.
- An entrepreneurial and flexible orientation, comfort with ambiguity, and the ability to maneuver effectively in the face of rapidly evolving priorities and workstreams.
- A demonstrated ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment, lead projects, meet multiple concurrent deadlines, and prioritize.
- Strong strategic thinking and problem-solving skills combined with superb organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Must be open and energized by significant, required travel to support the Co-Founders at key external engagements
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS, PLEASE APPLY:
This organization is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.
Posted By: On-Ramps
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert