External Relations Manager
The HOW Institute for Society
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Advocacy/Social Action
City: New York
Postal code: 10151
State: New York
Country: United States
$3M - $10M
The HOW Institute for Society is seeking an External Relations Manager to come join our growing team. The ideal candidate will find deep resonance with the HOW philosophy and be committed to our mission of building and nurturing a culture of moral leadership, principled decision-making and values-based behavior that enables individuals and institutions to meet the profound social, economic, and technological changes of the 21st Century to elevate humanity.
The External Relations Manager provides leadership and support for all activities related to engaging The Institute’s network of stakeholders. The selected candidate will need to gain and maintain a solid understanding of The HOW Institute’s brand, language, philosophy and core values as your north star throughout your work. You must possess strong storytelling and writing skills for both print and electronic media, with an ear to cultural competency and awareness, as well as a deep respect for sensitive subjects. Additionally, successful candidates will have experience brainstorming and executing development activities that bolster The Institute’s mission and advance its impact.
The Manager will support all aspects of the design and the implementation of the stakeholder engagement and partner relations management including:
· Engagement & Communications Activities
- Help organize and coordinate all stakeholder engagement, including tracking initial contacts, meetings, follow-ups, creating customized materials, and logging all activities in the CRM.
- Ensure growth of our website and social media channels by creating content and maintain a robust editorial calendar.
- Help frame and design creative, consistent, and effective content and communications, including compelling cultivation emails, online updates; video assets and marketing and outreach materials.
- Deepen and expand the stakeholder networks by supporting and organizing all events including a scheduled annual Moral Leadership Summit and other engagement and program events throughout the year.
- Create all donor facing communications (concept papers, proposals, presentations, reports, commitment letters, acknowledgements, pledge reminders, etc.).
- Coordinate fundraising campaigns targeted at securing grassroots support.
- Handle all research related to stakeholder engagement (donor profiles, partner briefs, etc.);
· Systems & Gift Processing
- Support, streamline, and maintain all stakeholder engagement systems, including the Bloomerang CRM, materials library and other systems as needed.
- Manage the administration of all gifts including processing, tracking and acknowledging gifts and pledges using the donor database; ensure timely pledge payment reminders and accurate recording of all stakeholder information and reports.
- Coordinate with the finance team (consisting of the Institute’s Treasurer, Managing Director, and outsourced accountant and CFO) as needed.
· Administrative SupportSupport the external relations activities of the Chairman, the President and the Board of Directors.
The ideal candidate will have the following professional skills, experience and characteristics:
· Bachelor’s Degree and 4+ years of experience.
· People and Project Management: Highly organized and effective project manager with an extraordinary attention to detail.
· Communications: An exceptional storyteller and writer with strong copy-editing and interpersonal communication skills. You should have the ability to synthesize complex ideas and information and be skilled at communicating complex ideas to a wide range of audiences.
· Event planning and management: Experience working with external partners to conceptualize and implement world-class events that engage C-suite and other high-profile stakeholders.
· Work Habits: A self-starter who is highly organized with superb attention to detail. You thrive in an entrepreneurial culture and can multi-task and troubleshoot when projects shift unexpectedly. You always meet deadlines and are reliable, energetic and motivated with sound judgment.
· Skills: You are an expert in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), and have or are eager to learn basic WordPress skills. Having basic visual media skills such as graphic design or video editing would be preferable. Proven experience and comfort working with CRMs is needed and specific experience with Bloomerang is ideal.
The chosen candidate will directly report to The Institute’s President and regularly interact with The Institute’s Chairman, and various external stakeholders. There may also be opportunity to interact with the members of the Board of Directors.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please use Subject Line: "LAST NAME, EXT REL ROLE"
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert