Background: The Animal Rescue Fund of the Hamptons (ARF) was established as a ‘no-kill’ shelter in 1974 by people concerned about the health and welfare of stray and abandoned animals on the East End of Long Island. Guided by the core values of compassion, integrity and dedication, ARF went from a small-town shelter to a regional force and continues to rescue cats and dogs, providing quality care and offering sanctuary until loving, permanent homes can be found. ARF also provides services for the community including mobile adoptions, spay/ neuter services for unowned, community cats, behavior training for pets, and humane education for school children.
ARF’s revenue is approximately $4.2 million – of this, two-thirds comes from contributions and 5% from a significant investment fund. ARF raises additional funds through a number of events throughout the year, including their Bow Wow Meow Ball and Stroll to the Sea Dog Walk. A Thrift and Treasure Shop is also an integral part of fundraising efforts.
Located on a 22-acre site in Wainscott, a hamlet of East Hampton, ARF adopted out more than 1,300 animals in 2018. ARF recently changed its focus from the number of annual adoptions to length of stay and enrichment of the animals’ lives while at ARF awaiting adoption. This focus has already seen a significant increase in the adoption of animals who have lived at the shelter over six months. One reason for this change in strategy is that the ARF leadership realized the limits of its current physical space even with the care provided by its professional and caring staff and a team of dedicated volunteers.
Recognizing that ARF needs to build capacity, both financially and structurally, ARF has been in a quiet phase of a $15M capital campaign. The funds raised will go to building a training facility on the ARF campus that will double as temporary housing while the original kennels and catteries are renovated. To facilitate the success of the public phase of this campaign, ARF is looking to hire a Director of Development & Communications (DDC) to implement the vision of ARF’s ED/CEO and Board for a strategic case for support and a fundraising plan.
The Position: The Director of Development & Communications connects ARF’s community of adopters, donors, volunteers, and staff to our mission in meaningful ways throughout the year. ARF seeks a dynamic fundraiser with excellent relationship skills to act as a peer and thought-partner to the Executive Director/CEO (ED/CEO) and will be a leader with management experience who understands how to scale and grow a development program with limited resources. The ED/CEO and the DDC will work together to create and pursue a multi-faceted fundraising strategy that includes campaign gifts, individual and major giving, foundations, corporations, planned giving, digital fundraising and event support. The DDC will help to build out ARF’s development infrastructure to support demands for the organization’s growing philanthropy program and support the ED/CEO with his fundraising activities.
The ideal candidate will be adept at developing and implementing creative funding strategies, together with traditional fundraising techniques and approaches, as well as marketing ARF’s programs and services. The DDC will manage activities focused on identifying and engaging individual donors, event sponsorship and corporate support, including prospect research, cultivation and communication, solicitation, and recognition, as well as annual giving.
• With the ED/CEO, lead, develop and implement fundraising strategies to increase the breadth and depth of individual, foundation and corporate support
• Evaluate, revise, and manage strategies for successful events, annual giving, and planned giving
• Oversee implementation of all annual fundraising events
• Manage and supervise a small staff including the Director of Marketing & Communications, a Development Associate, and a Development Assistant for data management; work with consultants, contractors, and board members in a collaborative and effective manner
• Assist ED/CEO and Board members with cultivation of major gifts. Maintain and deepen donor relationships through regular communication, stewardship, and solicitation
• Using effective prospect research, grow and broaden major, private support as well as a pipeline of smaller and mid-level donors
• Research, write, cultivate and manage foundation and corporate proposals
• Create and manage direct mail and on-line giving programs for maximum return and efficiency
• With the ED/CEO, help to create and support a culture of philanthropy that fosters a collaborative organization-wide approach to development
• Spearhead the layout and execution of a strategic communications and marketing plan, using both traditional and digital media, that will lead to a refreshed brand and website and augment fundraising efforts
• Together with the Director of Marketing & Communications, manage the annual appeal and community awareness programs to create new arenas for fundraising and increase visibility of ARF across all constituencies
• Manage, professionalize and improve ARF’s fundraising infrastructure - data management, gift processing, office procedures and event management - to ensure the staff, systems, processes and activities meet ongoing development needs
• Actively engage in identifying and recruiting potential board members as well as in developing junior committee
• Be a compelling representative of ARF and its mission through persuasive presentations, written communications, and social media thereby increasing the visibility and understanding of its work and impact