About the Opportunity
We are looking for a founding Director of Operations and Finance to launch and lead a new, innovative, mission-driven school in the fall of 2020. As we prepare to open ATA, the founding Director of Operations and Finance will be instrumental in building the groundwork for Alexander Twilight Academy and will serve as a critical decision maker and thought partner to the Head of School. The role will support all operational aspects involved with the school launch and will make a long-term commitment to serve as the Director of Operations and Finance for many school years to come. The ideal candidate would be able to start as soon as possible, but we can be flexible with work schedule and start date for the right person.
● You are firmly committed to educational access, equity, social justice, and ATA’s mission and vision.
● You have worked in a school setting and ideally have prior experience founding a school.
● You have created and operated against budgets, managed teams and facilities, handled student recruitment and daily logistics, and have experience with procurement processes.
● You are steeped in process, are highly organized, and have a strong attentiveness to detail.
● You are unafraid to take proactive steps to make improvements and/or solve problems.
● You are a successful multi-tasker and thrive when managing concurrent projects under tight deadlines.
● You are a team player and able to jump into multiple different workstreams to achieve an end goal or mission.
● You are an excellent communicator and can explain technical and financial information clearly and concisely.
● You lead by example and you can connect with people from a variety of different backgrounds.
● You are receptive to feedback and focused on personal growth and development.
About the Role
As the Director of Operations, you will be responsible for managing all non-instructional components of the school, including:
● Lead efforts in finding and selecting a school site for ATA’s launch in fall of 2020
● Oversee systems and processes for facilities maintenance and capital improvements
● Ensure adequate building security measures and access control
● Manage and operationalize logistics of student arrival, dismissal, and transitions
● Oversee all planning and logistics of onsite and offsite school events such as field trips, family nights, performances, etc.
● Manage all parent and family communication, including the school website
● Manage oversight of all student record data (enrollment, attendance, demographic data, immunization records, emergency medical information, special education) to ensure it is up to date and accurate in the student information system, including auditing regularly for data integrity
● Serve as testing coordinator to manage all logistics of student test administration, including ordering materials, scheduling, and classroom set up
● Work with Instructional Leadership Team to generate student report cards and progress reports
Student Recruitment and Enrollment
● Coordinate and participate in student recruitment events, including open houses, tours, student interviews, and information sessions
● Develop and implement student recruitment marketing strategy
● Manage new student and returning student registration
Finance and Purchasing
● Own the overall school budget, including designing and facilitating the annual budget planning process and tracking expenses throughout the year to align with the proposed school budget and ATA’s mission and vision
● Produce financial reports for special projects, grants/contracts, and other ad-hoc requests
● Define, track, and report progress on financial health and sustainability metrics
● Develop and ensure a purchasing process for necessary school supplies and materials
● Partner with vendors and ensure they are paid accurately and in a timely manner
● Manage the school’s asset and supply inventory, including purchasing of furniture, equipment, and supplies
Technology and Equipment
● Oversee technology procurement and inventory process
● Troubleshoot hardware and software requests from teachers and staff
● Manage all user accounts and systems security
● Coordinate user training programs to ensure effective and efficient use of technological resources
● Manage maintenance of staff records, employee files, and certifications
● Maintain adherence to all employment laws and policies
● Manage the annual performance management process
Risk Management and Compliance
● Create and maintain building safety plans
● Plan and conduct all school-wide safety drills
● Create and manage systems for all mandated compliance reporting