Apprentice School Leader - Principal
Mastery Charter Schools
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Education
Postal code: 19144
Country: United States
We believe educational inequity is the most pressing social problem facing our country and the civil rights issue of our day. Mastery exists to help solve this problem. Our ultimate goal is to create a model urban school district that serves all students with excellence. We are organized around one driving mission: All students learn the academic and personal skills they need to be truly prepared for postsecondary success and able to pursue their dreams. To fulfill this mission, we attend to the whole child – academically and emotionally – matching high expectations for students with high levels of support.
Mastery Charter Schools
is a nonprofit network of more than 24 schools serving over 14,000 students
in Philadelphia and Camden. We are the largest turnaround school operator in the nation and have been lauded by President Obama and the US Department of Education for our ability to dramatically boost academic achievement in historically low-performing schools.
We know neighborhood schools matter, all students deserve access to a great education, and the people in our building can grow and develop sustainably to make the biggest impact possible in this work.
Mastery Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. We offer a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth.
The Apprentice School Leader (ASL) - Principal position is designed to prepare an extraordinary leader to become an extraordinary Mastery principal. Under the supervision of a current Mastery principal, the ASL - Principal will be immersed in school leadership responsibilities, including developing instructional coaching, supervision, and evaluating skills and planning school academic and school culture interventions. Other responsibilities include oversight of school performance and operations, and making structural, budgetary and personnel decisions that promote student achievement.
This position was created to develop leaders of future Mastery Charter Schools. The ASL - Principal will report to the Principal and receive training and feedback from the Chief Academic Officer and his/her staff. Upon meeting targeted benchmarks, the ASL - Principal is expected to transition into a Principal position for the next school year.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Learn Mastery instructional and coaching model
- Supervise instructional instructors, evaluate lesson plans and coach teachers to ensure effective instruction
- Ensure effective collection and analysis of student performance data to identify struggling students, curriculum shortfalls, and teacher quality issues
- Support school culture program and interventions
- Engage parents and other community members in school and extracurricular activities
- Create, manage, and evaluate operational processes including scheduling and budget to ensure student achievement
- Learn Mastery management model and manage personnel consist with the school’s values and goals
- Maintain compliance with state and federal regulations for education standards/requirements
- Teach a maximum of one period per day
- 4+ years of demonstrating classroom experience, preferably within an urban secondary school setting
- Outrageously high expectations for student achievement
- Superior grasp of effective instruction for educating urban youth
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong people and project management skills with the proven ability to train, supervise and coach professional staff in order to foster a cooperative team environment
- Smart, strategic thinker who can execute on multiple priorities simultaneously
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, and rapidly-changing environment
- Sense of humor
- Prior experience working within a corporate, entrepreneurial or start-up environment also a plus
- 2+ years of demonstrated success supervising or leading a team of educators
- Master’s degree in Education, or related field; must have or be working toward Pennsylvania Secondary Principal certification
Mastery Charter Schools has excellent benefits which include a 403b with company match, tuition reimbursement and medical, dental and vision.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please apply directly through our website - Apprentice School Leader- Principal . Thanks!
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert