Assistant Principal of School Culture
Mastery Charter Schools
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Education
Postal code: 19144
Country: United States
We believe educational inequity is the most pressing social problem facing our country and the civil rights issue of our day. Mastery exists to help solve this problem. Our ultimate goal is to create a model urban school district that serves all students with excellence. We are organized around one driving mission: All students learn the academic and personal skills they need to be truly prepared for postsecondary success and able to pursue their dreams. To fulfill this mission, we attend to the whole child – academically and emotionally – matching high expectations for students with high levels of support.
Mastery Charter Schools
is a nonprofit network of more than 24 schools serving over 14,000 students
in Philadelphia and Camden. We are the largest turnaround school operator in the nation and have been lauded by President Obama and the US Department of Education for our ability to dramatically boost academic achievement in historically low-performing schools.
We know neighborhood schools matter, all students deserve access to a great education, and the people in our building can grow and develop sustainably to make the biggest impact possible in this work.
Mastery Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. We offer a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth.
The Assistant Principal of School Culture APSC at Mastery Charter Schools works with a team of exemplary school-based, student-focused leaders who are committed to excellence for the students and staff. The role of the APSC on the school’s leadership team is to ensure the school is a joyful, connected, safe, and supportive environment for students to learn and thrive.
The Assistant Principal of School Culture (APSC) is responsible for driving a healthy school culture, rooted in both love and outcomes, that supports breakthrough student growth. Reporting to, and working closely with the principal, (s)he will serve as the leader for moving the school’s culture vision forward. The APSC is responsible for coaching a team of Deans to execute research-based best practices aligned to a Positive Behavior Intervention System model. The Assistant Principal of School Culture leads attendance initiatives and drives social, emotional learning programming. Additionally, the APSC responsible for coaching and supporting teachers around Instructional Foundations and classroom management strategies.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Coach a portfolio of teachers, take complete ownership over developing proficiency with Instructional Foundations, and facilitate high-impact professional development for staff.
- Build and owns direct reports’ (deans’) knowledge of proficiency with effective implementation of the Mastery school culture model through a continuous cycle of observation, feedback, and coaching.
- Model how to build strong, mutually respectful, culturally competency relationships with students and families and support your team to do the same.
- Act as a champion of Mastery’s mission and values through coaching and modeling.
- Develop and support school culture routines designed to promote student social belonging and leadership.
- Drive fidelity of school culture systems across the school, including behavior management, attendance, and modes of operations.
- Analyze school wide culture data and make adjustments to ensure fidelity of implementation of the Mastery School Culture model.
- Provide high quality school-wide professional development designed to build proficiency around positive classroom culture and teacher mindset.
- Lead attendance improvement initiatives.
- Implement a Positive Behavior and Intervention Support designed to produce a school culture rooted in both love and outcomes.
- Acts strategically, leveraging data and supports appropriately by reviewing student infraction data, identifying opportunities to improve, and building a response plan.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in education or related field preferred
- Experience managing adults in a public school setting; Teaching experience preferred
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience teaching or leading in a historically underserved community
- Demonstrated ability to develop and manage adults
- Ability to lead within a fast-paced, dynamic, and rapidly-changing environment
- Zest and a sense of humor that contributes to enhancing the positive school culture
- Demonstrated adaptive leadership skills and emotional intelligence
- Understands research based behavior interventions
- Experience building routines for social belonging (including SEL programming, athletics, and extra-curricular activities)
- Ability to leverage data to make data-driven decisions
- Strong understanding of effective classroom management practices
- Ability to influence and motivate adults in pursuit of the best action for students
- Experience implementing a Positive Behavior Intervention System or Multi-Tiered System of Supports
Mastery Charter Schools has excellent benefits including a 403b with company match, tuition reimbursement and medical, dental and vision.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please apply directly through our website: Assistant Principal of School Culture
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert