KIPP North Carolina Public Schools
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Function: General Management
Primary domain: Education
Postal code: 00000
State: North Carolina
Country: United States
$10M - $20M
KIPP schools, KIPP regions, and the KIPP Foundation are united by a common mission, a commitment to excellence, and a belief that if students are prepared with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose, they will be able to build a better tomorrow for themselves, for their communities, for us all.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
There are currently 242 KIPP schools across the country educating nearly 100,000 students on their path to and through college, careers, and life. KIPP schools are tuition-free, public charter schools that are open to all students. KIPP schools, KIPP regions, and the KIPP Foundation are united by a common mission, a commitment to excellence, and a belief that if students are prepared with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose, they will be able to build a better tomorrow for themselves, for their communities, for us all.
Each KIPP regional organization is a separate nonprofit that oversees its local KIPP schools and provides schools with shared services in areas such as alumni support, teacher training, leadership development, community outreach, operations, and data analysis. KIPP regional organizations are governed by a local board of directors, led by an executive director or superintendent, and often partner with neighboring schools and community-based organizations.
KIPP North Carolina
KIPP currently has two regions in North Carolina: KIPP Eastern North Carolina and KIPP Charlotte. KIPP Eastern North Carolina was founded in 2001 and has grown to operate 6 schools, from primary through high school, serving ~2,000 students in Gaston, Halifax and Durham. KIPP Charlotte was founded in 2007, has grown to operate 2 schools, from primary to middle school, serving ~900 students in Charlotte. Across the state, KIPP graduates have achieved high rates of success and college completion (over 60% for our KIPP High School graduates), and KIPP continues to serve as a leader in the state's education reform and social justice movement.
KIPP Charlotte and KIPP Eastern North Carolina are launching a search for a shared, state-wide Founding Executive Director of KIPP North Carolina (KIPP NC) to lead due diligence on and, if proceeding, planning, implementation, and ongoing leadership of a combined region to serve more students and families better, faster, and more sustainably in North Carolina. This potential merger is an exciting moment for the region and represents an opportunity for KIPP to grow, thrive, and contribute to communities in Charlotte, the Research Triangle area, rural eastern North Carolina, and beyond.
ABOUT THE POSITION
KIPP's first state-wide Executive Director (ED) will drive the current strategic priorities of KIPP Eastern North Carolina and KIPP Charlotte, as well as set the vision and direction for the merger of the two regions. The ED will be responsible for leading the organization's strategic direction and partnering with the Boards of both regions to identify pathways for broader and deeper impact and outcomes.
The Executive Director will serve as KIPP NC's external ambassador, deepening existing external relationships and building new ones (e.g., with donors, elected officials, community leaders, partner organizations, education leaders, etc.). This unique role offers an exceptional opportunity to influence change and align with a powerful, national network. This is an ideal role for an inspirational leader, exceptional manager, and strong external spokesperson who has led a complex organization or department in a period of growth and/or change.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Develop and execute on the combined region's vision and strategic plan
- Work with the Boards, key funders and partners, and regional leadership teams to preserve each region's values and operational and programmatic excellence while designing a new strategic vision for a merged region
- Lead the merger with the Boards, KIPP Foundation and external merger consulting firm to establish growth projections, key milestones and transparent communication plans for internal and external stakeholders
- Design cohesive accountability systems to ensure regional progress toward shared goals; promote transparent decision-making processes and embrace distributive leadership principles
- Demonstrate leadership as a member of KIPP's national network by fully engaging as a member of the KIPP Executive Director community; ensure key regional constituents are kept fully informed on key developments and national KIPP initiatives
Serve as the Chief Fundraiser for KIPP NC; engage key constituents to build strategic support for KIPP NC
- Build partnerships, coalitions and relationships with key stakeholders to increase KIPP North Carolina's visibility and highlight each region's success and legacy in North Carolina; engage and manage relationships with elected officials, public sector partners, foundations and corporations to support the creation of the KIPP North Carolina Public Schools region
- Initiate development strategies to meet ambitious annual goals by cultivating current and prospective donors from different sectors
- In partnership with the Board(s) of Directors, steward and solicit new and existing high-capacity donors, serving as the key point of contact for a high-potential set of prospects and funders
Build, retain, and manage a diverse, high-performing regional team that is able to support schools to deliver transformational educational outcomes for students and alumni
- Continue to build and nurture a strong, cohesive culture that reflects KIPP's values and leads to a strong and aligned regional identity
- Build, manage, and retain a diverse, high-performing leadership team that is able to support schools to exceed their commitment to deliver exceptional educational outcomes for students and alumni
- Manage the senior level staff members from both regions to obtain excellence in regional operations and student outcomes
- Prioritize a commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion and work to infuse and emphasize these practices throughout the organization
Build short and long term organizational capacity to ensure the financial stability and long-term sustainability of KIPP NC
- Serve as the financial steward of the region, ensuring financial health and sustainability
- Establish annual operational and financial goals and manage to them; adapt as necessary given pending merger proposal
- Build staff capacity and infrastructure necessary to sustain the region in complex growth cycles
- Ensure schools are fully enrolled to meet charter, budget, and mission goals.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- A minimum of 10+ years of professional experience, with at least 5+ in senior leadership positions within entrepreneurial organizations or teams
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and track record of approaching leadership through the lens of equity
- Experience leading within a complex organizational structure, in periods of growth and/or change
- Ability to serve as the external voice for KIPP NC and appetite to serve as the primary fundraiser for the region; track record of fundraising success in nonprofit or private sector strongly preferred
- Strong track record of managing teams, with the ability to recruit, develop, and retain a high performing team, set priorities, delegate responsibilities, hold teams accountable for outcomes, and provide thoughtful, learning-oriented feedback
- Strong system-building skills with the ability to set a vision across multiple regions and campuses
- Excellent relationship building skills, with a demonstrated ability to work well with people from a wide variety of backgrounds
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to act as a compelling advocate for the work of KIPP NC
- Demonstrated strategic thinking and problem-solving skills
- Experience in the nonprofit or education sector preferred
- Bachelor's degree with equivalent work experience required; Master's degree preferred
- Character strengths of: zest, grit, self-control, optimism, social intelligence, gratitude, and curiosity
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Submit your online application using the link below this job description:
KIPP Eastern North Carolina and KIPP Charlotte are committed to hiring a diverse team and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. KIPP Eastern North Carolina and KIPP Charlotte are equal opportunity employers.
Posted By: On-Ramps
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert