Chief Operating and Finance Officer
KIPP Eastern North Carolina College Prep Public Schools
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Education
Postal code: 00000
State: North Carolina
Country: United States
$10M - $20M
KIPP ENC’s mission is to empower all of our students with the skills, knowledge and character necessary to succeed in the colleges of their choice, strengthen their community, and fight for social justice.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
KIPP Eastern North Carolina College Prep Public Schools (KIPP ENC) is part of the national KIPP (Knowledge is Power Program) non-profit network of 224+ college-preparatory, public charter schools educating nearly 100,000 early childhood, elementary, middle, and high school students. KIPP schools are tuition-free, public charter schools open to all students. KIPP schools, KIPP regions, and the KIPP Foundation – are united by a common mission, a commitment to excellence, and a belief that if we help children develop the academic and character strengths they need for college and choice filled lives, they will be able to build a better tomorrow for themselves, for their communities, for us all.
Founded in 2001, KIPP ENC has grown to operate six schools serving nearly 2,000 students in Gaston, Halifax, and Durham, NC. KIPP ENC's mission is to empower all of our students with the skills, knowledge and character necessary to succeed in the colleges of their choice, strengthen their community, and fight for social justice. Through the success of our students, KIPP ENC will serve as a model of excellence and collaborate with others to raise the quality of education in North Carolina and beyond. KIPP ENC has one of the highest college completion rates in the KIPP network.
The role of the KIPP ENC's Regional Office team is to support our schools – teachers and staff, students and families – with services and resources they need to maximize student outcomes – while ensuring we build a sustainable organization.
ABOUT THE POSITION
KIPP ENC's Chief Operating & Finance Officer (COFO) is an experienced manager and financial leader accountable for the delivery of the high performing operational services and capacity building required to support KIPP ENC's current and future scale, its financial sustainability, and its public compliance. The COFO role is part of the Regional Leadership Team and reports to the Executive Director. The COFO will manage a team of finance and operations professionals and serve as a thought partner with the ED, other regional and school leaders, and the Board to ensure KIPP ENC's successful impact, sustainability, and growth. A systems-builder, the COFO is directly accountable for functions including finance and accounting, strategic planning, human resources, technology, facilities, school operations services (transportation, nutrition), compliance, and legal/risk management. The role is an ideal opportunity for a highly motivated, collaborative, entrepreneurial and service-minded leader with a passion for social justice and educational equity in North Carolina.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Organizational and Team Leadership
- Oversee KIPP ENC's annual and multi-year strategic planning processes in collaboration with regional and school leaders to establish multi-year, detailed financial models that align with growth projections.
- Develop organization-wide financial and operational strategies, systems and processes, and key performance indicators for growth and success.
- Manage a team of six (6) to include leaders of finance, human resources, technology, transportation, nutrition, and operations.
- Partner with the Director of Human Resources and School Leaders to recruit, develop, manage, support, and retain a diverse, high performing team that fulfills KIPP's values and beliefs.
- Support board committees that may include Finance, Facilities, Human Resources/Talent, Risk Management, and others as needed. Regularly interface with and play a leadership role with the broader board on financial, operational, and compliance matters.
- Share best practices and learnings with the broader, national KIPP network as well as local charter and public school networks.
- Serve as the organizational leader managing finance; support senior management, the Board, and school leaders through strategic planning, financial modeling, compliance and data-driven analysis.
- Manage the finance function to ensure the accurate execution of operational finance (i.e. accounting, reporting, banking, budgeting, procurement and compliance) and the delivery of all mandated financial reports to authorizers, lenders, funders and other key stakeholders.
- Implement protocols to effectively manage current and future federal and state grants to ensure grants are secured, allocated, budgeted, tracked, and in compliance.
- Lead the development of the organization's long-term financial strategy, including strengthening of the organization's balance sheet and setting other appropriate financial targets to ensure strong financial health and financial sustainability for the organization.
- Develop critical organization wide systems, ensuring that technology and staff work effectively across functions, schools, and the region.
- Ensure the delivery of excellent operations services and act as a thought partner and approver on employment policies and practices, benefits, and regulatory compliance.
- Ensure school-based staffing, systems (including purchasing, procurement, and inventory management), and vendors are in place for transportation and food programs with timely, reliable, safe, on-budget, and fully compliant delivery of services.
- In collaboration with the Managing Director of School Operations, manage overall quality of operations performance, customer service and internal school reviews, analyzing service performance and customer satisfaction data to set and achieve continuous improvement goals in alignment with academic priorities.
- Lead the setting of operational targets and develop the systems and dashboards to track the operational health of the organization relative to those targets.
- Support the leadership development of the Directors of School Operations.
Compliance & Risk Management
- Manage and oversee staff and/or contractors providing facilities and maintenance management to ensure school buildings meet operational safety regulations and educational needs.
- Manage KIPP ENC's real estate portfolio, ensuring facility solutions and plans are in place to achieve growth while integrating mission, finance, development, and facility perspectives.
- Lead region-wide management of compliance systems, legal affairs, insurance, and other risk management strategies in alignment with federal, state, and local legal and regulatory requirements.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience required; MBA, MPA, or related degree preferred.
- Minimum of 7+ years of progressively increasing financial management experience and strategic planning, with preference for leadership experience in a high-quality charter management organization.
Experience and Traits
- Deep financial management and/or accounting background, including financial modeling.
- Experience leading, planning and managing in an entrepreneurial, client-oriented setting with diverse constituents (board, school leaders, staff, students, families, and external stakeholders).
- Excellent management, communication, customer service, and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrate detail orientation and an ability to develop, implement and manage systems and processes to support a growing multi-million dollar organization across the majority of functions required for the position.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute a strategic growth plan for either a non-profit or for-profit organization, including development of regional management structure.
- Ability to negotiate and execute contracts, and manage the quality of service providers and vendors.
- Ability to exercise excellent judgment in creative decision-making, with the ability to juggle many tasks, deadlines, and competing priorities to develop clear solutions.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Unquestioned integrity and commitment to KIPP's mission, community, and belief that all students can learn, achieve, and thrive.
- Grit, optimism, persistence, gratitude, trustworthiness, and a sense of humor.
We offer competitive salary and benefits commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Submit your online application using the link below this job description:
KIPP ENC is strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff, and we encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds. KIPP ENC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, handicap, age, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, ethnic origin, or any other reason prohibited by state or federal law.
Posted By: On-Ramps
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert