Director of Development
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Other
Postal code: 02139
Country: United States
$3M - $10M
RefugePoint advances lasting solutions for at-risk refugees and supports the humanitarian community to do the same.
Title: Director of Development (DoD)
Reports To: Executive Director
Location: Cambridge, MA
Classification: Full time, salaried (exempt)
Supervises: Institutional Relationships Officer, Major Gifts Officer, Development
Associate, and Consultants
RefugePoint was founded in 2005 to provide lasting solutions for the world’s most at-risk refugees. We support those who have fled persecution, war and/or violence, in particular women, children and urban refugees. We work with those in need of basic human protections, struggling to survive with limited/no humanitarian assistance or social safety nets.
The Director of Development (DoD) must be mission-driven and passionate about supporting refugees globally. RefugePoint is seeking candidates with demonstrated management skills and experience developing strategic plans related to fundraising. We are committed to linking program and fundraising plans.
RefugePoint values a collaborative approach to fundraising and aggressively searches for opportunities to expand the resource base among partners. In so doing, we endeavor to influence how resources are allocated in order to build opportunities for common agenda setting. We strive to create an environment that encourages creativity and allows for the full incorporation of staff talents. RefugePoint is fortunate to benefit from a solid base of support and has identified significant pipeline potential. In addition to the basics outlined in this description, we are looking for an individual who will contribute to new ways of thinking – building momentum for a new approach to fundraising in the humanitarian sector that is collaborative rather than competitive.
The DoD reports to the Executive Director and works closely with the Managing Director, communications, program and finance/administration staff to develop and execute fundraising and agency-wide goals. The DoD is charged with: 1) creating a fund development plan; 2) managing all aspects of plan implementation; 3) monitoring progress; 4) supervising fundraising unit staff; and 5) interfacing with staff of other units to ensure coordination of efforts. In achieving established goals, the DoD will ensure a balanced revenue mix (individual/institutional; restricted/unrestricted; maintenance/growth) by executing strategic priorities related to major gifts, multi-year commitments, annual year-end appeals and other campaigns, events, challenge grants, sponsorships, corporate social responsibility and planned giving.
Candidates should have experience working effectively with non-profit Boards and Development Committees and must be comfortable working with high net-worth individuals and celebrities. S/he will contribute to the development of agency-wide plans. Experience working with refugees, humanitarian assistance, human rights or international development is helpful but not required.
Primary Areas of Responsibility:
- Develops, executes, and monitors multi-year development plans and delegate tasks and activities to the development team;
- Manages development staff and consultants to ensure quality and timely execution of activities;
- Liaises with staff to develop project proposals, identify key metrics, and investigate opportunities for new programs; and,
- Participates as an active member of internal committees to integrate development perspective throughout the agency.
- Communicates effectively with staff, Board Directors, high net worth individuals, and celebrities and represents the agency externally in fundraising activities; and,
- Supervises staff to ensure high quality maintenance of the agency’s fundraising database including individual, institutional and prospective donors
- Works with the Major Gifts Officer and Development Associate to lead cultivation and stewardship efforts, creating tailored engagement strategies;
- Communicates regularly to cultivate current donors and prospective donors;
- Oversees the development and implementation of key campaigns that create the Annual Fund, including a Spring Appeal for World Refugee Day, #Read4Refugees, and the End-of-Year Campaign, which includes #GivingTuesday;
- Identifies and frames opportunities for growth, matching program needs with the interests of potential donors;
- Develops and monitors Key Performance Indicators to measure fundraising goals; and,
- Educates donors and philanthropists about RefugePoint’s work and the refugee sector at-large.
- Works with IRO to identify and develop pipeline, with focus on priority growth areas and multi-year awards;
- Makes key decisions regarding the submission of grant applications;
- Supports the IRO in grant writing, budget development, reporting and compliance;
- Actively educates donors and philanthropists about RefugePoint’s work and the humanitarian assistance sector more generally;
- Works with program, finance & administration and other staff as necessary; and,
- Communicates with donors to ensure client satisfaction.
Events and Representational Role
- Manages staff in event and campaign planning and implementation to engage donors and generate revenue;
- Guides the identification of sponsors to support agency initiatives; and
- Represents RefugePoint at various external meetings and events as requested.
- Ten years of experience in non-profit or social impact fundraising preferred;
- Demonstrated commitment to/passion for RefugePoint’s mission;
- Ability to work and/or travel occasional nights and weekends and travel up to 30%;
- Strong code of ethics;
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team;
- Proven track record closing six figure gifts;
- Superior writing and communications skills;
- Ability to provide high level direction, work with minimal supervision, and manage a wide range of tasks;
- Sufficient financial literacy with proficiency in preparing budgets, explaining financial reports, and analyzing revenue trends;
- Salesforce and iWave database experience considered a major asset;
- Bachelor's degree required; Master’s degree preferred; and,
- A sense of humor, flexibility, patience, and diplomacy.
RefugePoint offers a competitive salary, full medical and dental insurance, 401k, short-term/long-term disability, a generous paid time off benefit in addition to holidays, and a flexible work environment.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please apply online at https://refugepoint.applicantstack.com/x/openings
This position will remain open until filled. However, short-listing and interviews will proceed on a rolling basis.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert