Interim Chief Financial Officer
Collegiate Church Corporation
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Religious
City: New York
Postal code: 10110
State: New York
Country: United States
ABOUT THE COLLEGIATE CHURCH OF NEW YORK
The Collegiate Church of New York, founded in 1628, includes five Manhattan-based ministries: Fort Washington Collegiate Church, Marble Collegiate Church, Middle Collegiate Church, West End Collegiate Church, and Intersections International. Each ministry is unique in its approach and character yet together they foster an open and affirming environment grounded in progressive theology.
A Consistory, comprised of the elders, deacons and senior ministers of the five ministries governs the organization. There are also several Consistory committees, which include representatives from each ministry and meet regularly during each year. The total annual budget of the organization is approximately $30 million. The organization has a central investment portfolio with a current value in excess of $250 million and holds several owned and leased properties in Manhattan for direct use, and other properties for investment purposes in Philadelphia and Massachusetts.
THE ROLE – INTERIM CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER (INTERIM CFO)
As the Interim CFO you will step in at a critical time for The Collegiate Church of New York. You will lead all finance functions for a multi-part religious organization with a distinct central office and a large central investment portfolio, including significant direct real estate holdings. Reporting to the interim Chief Executive Officer (CEO), you will be the key conduit between the central Finance department, ministry leadership and local ministry finance staff, key Consistory committees and the full Consistory.
You will help drive the strategy of the organization in fulfillment of its mission, helping to develop a plan for long-term financial sustainability as well as overseeing annual budget and financial planning. You will improve efficiency, effectiveness, transparency and customer service across all financial functions, ensuring clear, timely and accurate financial information for all key parties and stakeholders.
You are someone who is energized by helping finance departments and organizations through times of transition and change, and who can establish relationships and build trust with key stakeholders.
This is anticipated to be an 18-month position, to be filled by March 2020.
STRATEGY & VISION
· Ensure financial functions, staff and supports are organized and aligned so that the Collegiate Church’s mission is achieved, now and in the future.
· Establish clear, consistent and effective communication with other central office departments, ministries, and Consistory committees to strengthen relationships and improve performance.
· Represent financial priorities and responsibilities at the executive leadership, committee and Consistory levels; and promote an atmosphere of mutual trust and accountability for financial functions and staff across the organization.
· Ensure that financial systems, procedures and reporting is effective, efficient and meets internal and external requirements, while providing clear, timely and accurate information.
· Oversee multi-year financial planning and annual budget development that provides near-term financial direction and accountability and ensures long-term sustainability.
· Work closely with Financial Planning, Investment & Endowment and Audit Committees to ensure effective oversight and governance of all financial management aspects.
· Monitor investment, financing and banking activities to ensure adequate cash flow for the organization's needs, and compliance with existing debt agreements and debt service coverage.
· Oversee annual financial audit, tax, and other regulatory filings, ensuring appropriate accounting treatment and reporting to key committees and the full Consistory.
The Interim CFO should thoroughly embrace and represent mission of the Collegiate Church of New York and have the following experience, qualifications and abilities:
· A Bachelor’s degree is expected, with an MBA or other professional degree in a similar field preferred. Extensive finance and accounting coursework are required; CPA license is preferred.
· A hands-on leader who can bring stability during a time of change, with at least 15 years of progressive financial management experience, including complex not-for-profit organizations. Experience with religious organizations preferred.
· The credibility and personality to serve as a trusted advisor organization-wide, including the CEO, senior ministers, the Consistory and relevant committees.
· A collaborative and flexible style, a strong commitment to internal customer service, and the highest commitment to professionalism and integrity.
· Excellent finance, analytic and accounting skills, desire to work in a dynamic environment, and experience in change management, business process redesign, and systems implementation.
· Significant experience with investment portfolio management in a nonprofit environment and real estate finance and investment, including debt issuance, refinancing and compliance.
· The ability to motivate staff to embrace change and new methodologies, and to translate financial information and best practices to non-financial staff and Consistory members.
· A creative problem-solver and fixer who can create management tools that will help those on the front lines, who can ensure financial systems support both central office and ministry staff.
· An effective communicator (orally and in writing) across a wide variety of audiences who brings respect, humility and commitment to the organization’s mission.
BENEFITS, EEO & APPLICATION INFORMATION
The Collegiate Church of New York offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience and qualifications. For more information about the Collegiate Church of New York, please visit their website at www.collegiatechurch.org.
The Collegiate Church of New York is an equal opportunity employer. This policy is not “just another policy” but a reflection of our core beliefs and ideals. Accordingly, each applicant and each employee can be assured that, to the fullest extent required by law, it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, and promote individuals, as well as to administer any and all personnel actions, compensation and benefits, without regard to race; color; creed; religion; age; sex; gender (including sexual harassment); pregnancy (including childbirth; lactation and related medical conditions); sexual orientation; gender identity or expression; marital status and partnership status; familial status; status as a caregiver; genetic information (including predisposing genetic characteristics and testing); genetic disorders; national origin; alienage or citizenship status; veteran status; military status; physical and/or mental disability; status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking, and sex offenses; arrest or conviction record; unemployment status; credit history; and/or or any other category protected by applicable law. This policy extends to all employees and to all aspects of the employment relationship.
The Collegiate Church of New York prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. We are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to any of the protected categories noted above and any other category protected by applicable law. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
TO APPLY Please address applications to Val Soto, CHRO and apply through the ADP Career Center via the link.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert