Reporting to the Senior Director of Development, the Director of Foundations Relations is responsible for overseeing the grant application, reporting, and management process for all foundation engagement. This person will be an integral part of the development team and will coordinate the external and internal resources necessary to build and achieve a robust foundation program that is driving donations to support FARE’s campaign and fundraising initiatives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for contributing to an annual revenue target of $4M.
- Creating an annual foundation plan and implementing a model and approach that can achieve current and future revenue targets.
- Identifying, engaging and soliciting foundation donors including the drafting of grant proposals.
- Coordinating regular internal meetings with stakeholders to track and update progress towards grant goals.
· Work closely with FARE’s senior leadership team and Board members as needed.
· Responsible for the consistent and effective use of donor database, including updating the database with accurate coding and detailed notes to serve as the electronic repository of institutional history of donor communication.
· Utilize research tools to identify top prospects.
- Coordinate with development colleagues to connect major donors and corporate partners with foundations when appropriate.
- Providing a proactive approach to determine fundable opportunities.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· Highly energetic professional with a track record of building meaningful relationships with foundation donors/prospects and successfully closing philanthropic gifts.
· Proven experience of drafting funded grant proposals and a track record of identifying and qualifying potential funders.
· Knowledge of fundraising principles, techniques, ethics and understanding of nonprofit environments.
· Demonstrated productivity and creativity with an aptitude for problem solving.
· Demonstrated interpersonal skills with the ability to interact in a positive manner with diverse and demanding constituents using a high degree of tact, diplomacy, and discretion, with emphasis on flexibility and professionalism.
· Strong organizational skills.
· Strong writing and presentation skills and keen ability to relate to foundation donors at all levels required.
· Strategically engage foundation donors in peer-prospect identification, visits, and gift closings.
· Outstanding interpersonal skills with demonstrated proficiency interacting with executives and high-level donors.
· Proven ability to effectively articulate and convey an organization’s program attributes, value proposition and case for support verbally and in written prop.
· Ability to travel.
· Ability to work some nights and weekends.
· Ideal candidate lives in the NYC metro area.