Director, Advisory Services
Jobs for the Future
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Function: General Management
Primary domain: Education
Postal code: 20001
State: Washington, DC
Country: United States
JFF is a national nonprofit that drives transformation in the American workforce and education systems. For 35 years, JFF has led the way in designing innovative and scalable solutions that create access to economic advancement for all. Learn more about JFF and join us as we build a future that works.
JFF is a national nonprofit that drives transformation in the American workforce and education systems. For 35 years, JFF has led the way in designing innovative and scalable solutions that create access to economic advancement for all. JFFLabs, the innovation engine of JFF, mobilizes promising technologies and strategic partnerships to scale solutions that expand economic advancement for all. We bridge the gap between companies and startups, traditional education and workforce systems, and investment.
JFF and JFFLabs operate in tandem to pursue the same mission: to build a society in which everyone has the opportunity to access the skills, resources, and credentials they need to achieve economic advancement.
The Director, Advisory Services is a new role focused on building, managing, and growing JFF and JFFLabs’ emerging advisory services practice. The Director will report directly to the Managing Director, Corporate Leadership at JFFLabs.
The Director will be an integral member of the Corporate Leadership team at JFF, working closely with team members and the Managing Director to lead the development of a high-impact advisory services practice – one that supports innovating companies as they envision, develop, and implement practices that drive the economic advancement of workers. The Director will also play a key role working internally throughout JFF to build and integrate strategy and staffing solutions for the variety of work that comes in under Advisory Services. To date, this has been mostly corporate-facing work, but will likely evolve to include other types of advisory services engagements.
The goals for our work are ambitious. The team environment is creative, impact-oriented, generative, and highly-collaborative. We are builders and innovators, driving progress in a unique environment that is part start-up, part traditional nonprofit that continues to evolve with the needs of the economy and the people we serve. The Director plays an important role in this environment and is helping to build something starting from the ground level. The position therefore requires a dynamic, agile leader who is comfortable across a wide variety of responsibilities.
Key responsibilities of the position include:
- Practice Excellence: Build and establish a process and set of rigorous standards for JFF’s Advisory Services Practice. Train and supervise Engagement Leads in executing that process across a variety of engagements. Develop processes for continuous learning and improvement for the Advisory Services practice area
- Client Management: Serve as the direct Engagement Lead and/or oversee Engagement Leads across our Advisory Services portfolio. Consult to clients on strategies to help their workers achieve greater economic advancement. Advisory service engagements are with a variety of client types from across functional areas and levels of seniority
- Team Management & Operations: Lead the development and implementation of an advisory services staffing strategy for JFF, which blends deep subject-matter expertise from across JFF with experienced, client-facing talent from our Corporate Leadership team. Oversee Engagement Leads and provide further development and coaching as needed
- Business Development: With support from the Managing Director, build and execute a business development strategy for our Advisory Services practice, including growth targets. Oversee pipeline development, build compelling proposals, and close deals. Identify opportunities for new business within the market, with both new and existing clients
- Content Development: Conceive of and develop highly compelling original collateral – i.e., case studies, briefs, frameworks, tools/resources, etc. – that will drive awareness, action and additional business development in the market
- Partnership Development: Build and maintain strong relationships and partnerships with leaders in our field. Help to devise and support a partnership strategy
- Project Management: Manage a variety of internal- and external-facing projects. Some projects are with small teams, while others may engage larger teams of people who are from both inside and outside of our organization
- Meeting Design and Facilitation: Collaborate with and support the Corporate Leadership team on the development and facilitation of a range of meetings, workshops, and collaborative/consultative sessions with prospects, clients, and other external stakeholders
- You have demonstrated an ability to create, sustain, and grow demand for a visionary product or service. You create trust through your thought leadership and build authentic partnerships
- You are extremely strategic. You understand how decisions get made, you can take in multiple inputs at the same time, and you evaluate what choices are on the table in order to take action and chart a path forward. You are a seasoned project manager
- You have demonstrated entrepreneurial ability and are enthusiastic about exploring and testing new possibilities. You thrive in a start-up environment and are an agile problem-solver
- You have 10+ years of client management experience with 5+ years of experience in corporate consulting, closing large deals and building client relationships
- Ideally, you have established or managed a consulting practice and are familiar with multiple facets of practice management, including: project staffing, budgeting, pricing, business development (full spectrum, from initial outreach to “closing the deal”), team and leadership, setting and managing to financial and social impact targets and goals, and systems development and management
- You build positive, effective, collaborative cultures and teams wherever you work. You are known among colleagues as somebody with whom people want to collaborate
- You are skilled in people/team development with considerable experience establishing a team culture that exceeds expectations, shows initiative, and focuses on organizational priorities
- You have excellent communication skills – both written and spoken. You have the ability to persuasively and efficiently build and deliver presentations for senior executives. You are recognized as a dynamic facilitator
- You are excellent at working both in teams and independently. You are able to supervise others and lead teams through rapid growth and change
- You model inclusive leadership, working effectively with diverse staff, and building and stewarding an organizational culture that embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion
Experienced Corporate Consultant
- You have significant direct experience consulting to companies and leading complex client engagements, particularly with C-suite players, CSR leaders, and HR leaders and managers
- You are a confident negotiator and closer, able to effectively present value propositions specific to each client
- You are able to translate complex issues into simple language that connects with clients and places an emphasis on problem-solvin
- You have experience helping corporations execute people-focused best practices
- Belief in JFF's core values and ability to apply those values to all areas of your work
- You possess high energy and passion for JFF’s mission, the work of JFFLabs, and our private sector strategy. You have direct experience and nuanced knowledge of the issues of economic opportunity and/or workforce development
- You believe deeply in the power of the private sector to drive positive change in society. You have a demonstrated ability to influence companies to shift strategies and practices that drive positive change
JFF offers a competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience and skills.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
As part of your application, please include your resume and a thoughtful cover letter, addressed to Catherine Ward, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position on our website.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at JFF:
JFF is committed to sustaining a diverse community with a work environment that is welcoming, respectful, and encouraging to all. JFF fosters a culture of inclusion that celebrates and cultivates diversity along multiple dimensions, including race, ethnicity, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, socioeconomic status, religion, ability, culture, and experience.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert