Associate Executive Director
The Brotherhood Sistersol
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Education
City: New York
Postal code: 10031
State: New York
Country: United States
$3M - $10M
Founded in 1995, The Brotherhood/Sister Sol (Bro/Sis) provides comprehensive, holistic and long-term support services to youth who range in age from eight to twenty-two. Bro/Sis offers wrap around evidence-based programming.
The organization focuses on issues such as leadership development and educational achievement, sexual responsibility, sexism and misogyny, political education and social justice, Pan-African and Latinx history, and global awareness. Bro/Sis provides four-six year rites of passage programming, thorough five day a week after school care, school and home counseling, summer camps, job training and employment, college preparation, community organizing training, and international study programs to Africa, the Caribbean and South America.
Bro/Sis is unique in that we are locally based, yet with a national reach as we are: an evidence-based program that serves young people from economically poor communities and are seen as a model for the nation; we organize and advocate for social change; and we publish curricula and educate and train educators across the nation on our model.
Our Theory of Change is to provide multi-layered support, guidance, education and love to our membership, to teach them to have self-discipline and form order in their lives, and then to offer opportunities and access so that they may develop agency.
Bro/Sis is seeking a candidate with a passion for social justice work and youth leadership development to join our team as an Associate Executive Director. Our ideal candidate is a driven visionary with excellent managerial, execution and communication skills who has the ability to multi-task and to strategically broaden and deepen the organization’s work in the community. The candidate will have excellent understanding and analysis of issues or race, gender, and class – an ability to think and lead in an intersectional manner.
Reporting to, and working in close collaboration with, the Executive Director and a second existing Associate Executive director who focuses on program development and training, the new Associate Executive will Director will hold extensive outreach responsibilities and will works closely with the Executive Director to present a strong, positive image of Bro/Sis programs and services to relevant stakeholders. Central to the new Associate Executive Director’s role will be assisting and managing the Board of Directors and implementing Bro/Sis fundraising strategy; being a face of and spokesperson for the organization; managing senior staff; contributing to the organizing and social justice work of Bro/Sis; interfacing with government officials and the organizing community. The candidate will have excellent skills in leadership, flexibility, creativity, resourcefulness and a passion for promoting human rights, and psychosocial wellbeing.
● Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with board members, volunteer’s, donors and leaders in the philanthropic community
● Provides day-to-day leadership and management that reflect the mission and values of organization ● Help staff develop work plans and assist them to realize them
● Supervise programs and campaigns and ensure its full success
● Develop organizational goals in coordination with the Executive Director and implement them effectively
● Identify new funders for the Executive Director
● Represent Executive Director on an as needed basis
● Attends monthly Board of Directors and committee meetings, as appropriate.
● Perform additional duties
Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent in education and experience; Master’s degree preferred
● Seven to ten years of executive management experience in a non-profit organization
● Strong leadership, analytical, decision making, interpersonal, planning, and organizational skills; solid presentation, negotiation, problem-solving, conflict resolution, and meeting management skills
● Excellent understanding and analysis of issues or race, gender, and class – ability to think and lead in an intersectional manner.
● Demonstrated success managing people and operations with a proven ability to attract, motivate, professionalize, coach, and retain talented staff; a track record as a team builder who can delegate and empower while creating a positive and effective work environment
● Comfortable and up-to-date on the use of technology; MAC and Google Suite
● Proven record as a forward-thinking leader with a strong network of colleagues and an established experience in social justice work
● Demonstrated experience with budget development, analysis, and management
● Demonstrated ability to plan and operate strategically, work effectively with a diverse team
● Proven ability to forge mutually respectful, trusting, and effective relationships with a diverse group of staff, community leaders, and decision makers
● Outstanding oral and written communication skills
● Unflappable in the face of multiple challenges; pragmatic, grounded, authoritative, decisive and disciplined; mentally flexible and creative as circumstances demand
● Ability to maintain balance and perspective, and a proactive “can do” attitude that can motivate others
Bro/Sis applies its social justice lens to human resources and accordingly offers highly competitive salaries with a comprehensive benefits package including fully-covered platinum health insurance, as well as dental, vision and life insurance; a 3% employer contribution to a 403(b) retirement account; nearly 30 days of combined vacation/sick/personal time off; and a generous office holiday calendar that includes additional time off during the Winter Break. The organization and its Board of Directors are fully committed to an organization that supports its staff and thoughtfully considerate of employee work-life balance.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Email resume and detailed cover letter to [email protected]
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert