OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Vice President, Learning, Measurement, and Evaluation (LM&E) will lead the development and support the use of tools, strategies, and processes to enable data to drive results at the Maryland Food Bank. S/he will provide subject-matter expertise and hands-on leadership in data collection, analysis, reporting, and evaluation that supports a culture of organizational learning and innovation. By using a combination of technical and adaptive (relational, strategic) skills, the VP will help build the organization’s capacity to reach performance targets and create better outcomes for clients .
The Maryland Food Bank is in a period of dynamic growth and expansion in its strategy, vision, and mission. This is a new leadership position at MFB that reports to the Executive Vice President of Programs & External Affairs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Measurement, Learning, and Evaluation: This position offers an exciting opportunity to create a new nexus of expertise within MFB and deliver a dynamic, closed-loop system to collect, analyze, and use data to evaluate the effectiveness of MFB’s work to end hunger for more Marylanders.
Specifically, the VP will provide expertise and hands-on leadership in the following ways:
- Identify key areas for evaluation and measurement with an initial focus on MFB’s FY20 pilots and programs
- Influence the use of the organization’s databases, data systems, and data measurement tools to ensure the delivery of useful, high-quality, and timely information
- Build internal capacity for ongoing assessment to measure progress and success against key programmatic and organizational metrics, including training of MFB staff
- Conduct analysis and create actionable insights and visualizations that support strategic initiatives
The VP will also work closely with other MFB data and technology specialists to lead and/or influence broader organization-wide initiatives to assess and measure performance including food distribution operations, fundraising, kitchen operations, and marketing.
Training: The VP will be responsible for creating an organizational culture in which data can be systematically used to drive decision-making. These highly collaborative efforts will support MFB’s intention to be equitable and inclusive. Specifics include:
- Create and provide ongoing training that offers support to staff in how to best utilize measurement to improve performance
- Establish standard methods to track and analyze feedback from MFB’s Network Partners and clients regarding the effectiveness of the food bank’s programs and strategy
Leadership: This position plays an important role in managing key external relationships, specifically as the primary point person for MFB’s engagement with a consulting group to accelerate the organization’s growth in measurement, learning, and evaluation. The VP will lead the organization through an (est.) 24-month engagement , ensure customization and adoption of learnings and best practices, and participate in funder and cohort meetings.
S/he will also set program budgets and supervise staff and volunteers for the LM&E Department as well as partner with departments across the food bank, including support for fundraising efforts to raise funds for this work.
Essential leadership qualities include maintaining effective communication and working relationships with key MFB staff, remaining responsive to suggestions and concerns, and effectively partnering to resolve problems.
Public Role: The VP will serve as a key subject matter expert and is specifically charged with disseminating and translating progress and learnings for a variety of key audiences, including MFB staff, community and professional organizations, funders, and more.