Director of Strategy and Operations
Health Story Collaborative
Position Type: Part-Time (Paid)
Function: General Management
Primary domain: Healthcare
Postal code: 02108
Country: United States
$0 - $1M
The mission of Health Story Collaborative is to keep the patient voice alive in healthcare and to harness the healing power of stories.
By collecting, honoring and sharing stories of illness and healing, we strive to make the process of navigating illness less isolating and to empower individuals and families facing health challenges.
Our belief, supported by research, is that storytelling is healing for both story sharers and listeners. Stories have the power to transform individuals as well as the healthcare system.
Health Story Collaborative (HSC) is a Boston-based nonprofit organization founded by Harvard trained internal medicine physician Annie Brewster, MD. Dr. Brewster is also a patient, living with Multiple Sclerosis since 2001. HSC is a response to Dr. Brewster’s experience as both a patient and a provider, and aims to heal the disconnection that is rampant in healthcare today.
Fundamentally, HSC works to empower patients and their loved ones, to build community and to strengthen patient-provider connections. HSC is founded on the belief, supported by research, that storytelling promotes health. Moreover, HSC is working to transform the culture of medicine through stories, by keeping patients and their loved ones at the center of the healthcare experience.
HSC creates online content and offers direct service programs to allow for story sharing. Programs include a continually growing Audio Stories digital library, a Healing Arts program, a Community Voices program, live storytelling events called Healing Story Sessions and SharingClinic, an interactive hospital-based storytelling kiosk.
Finally, HSC team members believe in community engagement through teaching and service and work frequently with college and medical students, the medical providers of our future, in addition to addressing real-world problems, such as the current opioid overdose epidemic.
HSC believes in interdisciplinary collaborations and innovation to improve healthcare today.
Having an illness is scary. The medical system can be isolating and alienating. Fear breeds anger and disconnection. Stories heal, individually and collectively, and must be kept alive and celebrated.
The Director of Strategy and Operations role is newly created in response to Health Story Collaborative’s success across several program areas. With these successes, the need for greater strategic coordination and program management has developed. This leadership role is designed to allow the Founder/Executive Director to focus on creating and delivering programs and identifying alternative ways to deliver and monetize content. Role requires strong collaboration with the Executive Director.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Create assessment framework for new initiatives in collaboration with Founder/Executive Director to ensure consistency with Mission and organizational time/resource capacity
- Screen new initiatives within assessment framework.
- Utilize assessment framework to allocate time/resources for current programs
- Identify and pursue partnerships to ensure successful implementation of programs across broader networks
- Identify and document what constitutes a successful program, including funding sources
- Manage intern and volunteer resources as needed
- Work collaboratively with Board of Directors, in particular Finance Director
Average of 15 per week. Much of the work can be done remotely but the candidate must be able to attend occasional meetings in Boston/Cambridge so preference will be given to local candidates.
Bachelor’s or greater degree in non-profit management, health care management, or related field or commensurate work experience.
- The successful candidate has a demonstrable track record in organizational management of non-profit organization(s) including new program launch/maintenance.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work closely with Founder/Executive Director.
- Highly organized self-starter.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Office and computer proficiency, working with limited support.
- Preferably has local networks that could lead to partnerships, marketing and funding sources.
- Preferably has interest in the subject of life-altering illness and/or storytelling.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please provide resume and cover letter in PDF. Email to: [email protected]
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert