Human Resources Manager
Appalachian Mountain Club
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Function: Human Resources/Recruiting
Primary domain: Environment
Postal code: 02129
Country: United States
Founded in 1876, the Appalachian Mountain Club promotes the protection, enjoyment, and understanding of the mountains, forests, waters, and trails of America’s Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions.
We believe these resources have intrinsic worth and also provide recreational opportunities, spiritual renewal, and ecological and economic health for the region. Because successful conservation depends on active engagement with the outdoors, we encourage people to experience, learn about, and appreciate the natural world.
Spread over six states, in a variety of facilities delivering mission-focused programs, AMC employees are smart, high-achieving, active and passionate about their work. As such, they need an experienced HR professional who can keep up with them!
The Human Resources Manager is a multi-faceted role that is as dynamic as the organization. This is a generalist role with responsibilities constantly shifting to a variety of HR related areas – from payroll and benefits to recruitment and onboarding to employee and manager coaching. No task is too big or too small, and the HR Manager must show resourcefulness in dealing with a variety of situations. Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Management of AMC’s HRIS (ADP). Conduct audits to ensure data integrity, provide technical support and training and harness technology to develop greater efficiencies.
- Responsible for ensuring that the organization is compliant with all required HR reporting (OSHA, ACA, EEO-1, etc.) and notice distribution (SARs, Notice of Creditable Coverage, etc.).
- Work closely with Payroll & Benefits Administrator, help answer employee questions and provide backup as needed.
- Managing employee relations with AMC staff, fielding employee and manager questions.
- Partnering with hiring managers on recruitment strategies and providing support throughout the hiring process. This includes reviewing, updating and posting job descriptions to scheduling and conducting interviews and reference checks and communicating offers.
- Ensure that new hires are warmly welcomed and have the tools and information needed to become productive members of the team. Additionally, ensure that required paperwork and trainings are completed timely.
- Help identify employee training needs and provide support in addressing.
- Provide support to AMC’s Manager of Culture & Inclusion in advancing the organization’s DEI work – from the delivery of DEI training to investigating and resolving Code of Conduct complaints.
- Participate in the planning and execution of recurring HR initiatives such as quarterly staff meetings and annual staff retreat, open enrollment and annual performance review cycle.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business, Psychology or closely related field
- 4-6 years direct employee relations counseling experience
- 4-6 years supporting the full talent management cycle
- Ability to travel to AMC facilities, between 10-20% of time
- Culture builder
- Positive influencer
- Excellent communicator
- Diplomatic mediator who can understand individual and team dynamics
- Able to shift somewhat effortlessly from firefighter to project planner to creative strategist and back, on a continuous play loop
- Experience using ADP for talent management and/or payroll and benefits strongly preferred
- SPHR/PHR preferred
- Passionate about AMC’s mission!
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
To Apply: Applications will be accepted through December 8th. Please include your resume and a cover letter when applying at: shorturl.at/dwBEH. No phone calls and direct candidates only, please.
The Appalachian Mountain Club has zero tolerance for child abuse or placing children in danger. The AMC requires all employees who work in a program or facility which serves children, disabled persons, or the elderly to have a criminal background record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.
The AMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in the workplace. The AMC encourages the involvement of all people in its mission and activities, through its membership, programs, policies, and procedures. Our goal is to be a community that is comfortable, inviting, and accessible for people of any age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic status. Join us!
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert