Appalachian Mountain Club
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Function: Information Services/Technology
Primary domain: Environment
Postal code: 02129
Country: United States
Founded in 1876, the Appalachian Mountain Club promotes the protection, enjoyment, and understanding of the mountains, forests, waters, and trails of America’s Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions.
We believe these resources have intrinsic worth and also provide recreational opportunities, spiritual renewal, and ecological and economic health for the region. Because successful conservation depends on active engagement with the outdoors, we encourage people to experience, learn about, and appreciate the natural world.
The Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) seeks a Software Developer to contribute to helping the AMC create a visionary next generation website and digital portal focused on outdoor recreation.
We’re seeking a mid-level developer who will learn our internal applications and take on maintenance and development tasks related to those applications. The position will work closely with a Senior Developer and Technical Lead to understand the current application design. In this role, the developer will create enhancements that will broaden our applications capabilities and drive higher engagement with our members and prospective members and promote outdoor conservation and recreation. The successful candidate will be able to build high-quality software which meets business needs and follows sound technical design practices. The developer will join a small in-house team working in a collaborative environment using Agile methods and tools.
- Write well-designed, testable and efficient code that meets AMC’s technology standards
- Integrate software with other components
- Perform unit testing to verify functionality meets acceptance criteria
- Participate in sprint planning, retrospectives, and regular checkpoint/standups
- Collaborate with team to improve processes and tools
- Maintain software and software documentation
- Interact with end users, internal AMC staff, and vendors
Qualifications & Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science or Engineering or demonstrated technical knowledge of computer science and software engineering principles
- 3-5 years object-oriented programming using a modern programming language
- Good understanding of database technologies such as SQL, PL/SQL, and relational database schema design
- Able to work in a team environment
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent oral and written communication, and prioritization skills
- Experience with tools such as Jira, Git, and release management
- Must be able to work from AMC’s Boston HQ
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
To Apply: Applications will be accepted through December 13th. Please include your resume and a cover letter when applying at: shorturl.at/kGPTV. No phone calls and direct candidates only, please.
The Appalachian Mountain Club has zero tolerance for child abuse or placing children in danger. The AMC requires all employees who work in a program or facility which serves children, disabled persons, or the elderly to have a criminal background record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.
The AMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in the workplace. The AMC encourages the involvement of all people in its mission and activities, through its membership, programs, policies, and procedures. Our goal is to be a community that is comfortable, inviting, and accessible for people of any age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic status. Join us!
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert