Head of School
Dr. Richard Izquierdo Heath & Science Charter School
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Education
City: South Bronx
Postal code: 10456
State: New York
Country: United States
Founded in September 2010, Dr. Richard Izquierdo Health & Science Charter School (DRIHSCS) is an academic preparatory school transforming the lives of South Bronx students grades 6-12. DRIHSCS is proud to serve as New York City’s first career and technical education charter school, and one of the premiere high schools in the borough - ranked as the second most successful school in Bronx District 12, and the 15th most successful high school in the Bronx overall. Our charter was born from the needs of our community, and imagined by our founder and partner, Urban Health Plan, as an educational institution that prepares students for health and science careers. DRIHSCS is rooted in the community, and offers extended academic time, career and technical education opportunities, and a range of additional supports for children and families to prepare 6th-12th grade students to succeed in college and beyond. At DRIHSCS, we strive to cultivate courage, compassion, integrity, perseverance, and respect in a welcoming environment. Our Board of Directors reflects the diversity of the school community and members hold a variety of positions in the fields of health and science, education, business and law.
Our new Head of School will be directly responsible for leading all efforts to provide students with both a rigorous academic preparatory experience and a career and technical education program in the health and sciences, reflective of our school’s education and charter, and the school’s growth and impact.
Specifically, the Head of School will focus on the following key priorities:
- Highly-Evidenced Student Outcomes for All DRIHSCS Students - The student population of DRIHSCS is diverse, and possesses many strengths and challenges. Our next Head of School must focus on creating an inclusionary environment committed to the success of all students, particularly those at the highest risk.
- Faculty Excellence and Commitment - Our next Head of School will seek to build, support, and retain a cadre of teachers committed to our community and reflective of the diversity of the students we serve.
- Community and Family Relationships - DRIHSCS thrives on our distinctive School culture of persistence, respect, and success. Our next Head of School will foster this heritage, by nurturing a strong sense of community among our students and their families.
- Urban Health Plan Partnership - Our next Head of School will prioritize a deepening of the relationship between our school community and our institutional partner.
- Program Delivery: Oversee planning, promotion, and delivery of a rigorous academic curriculum designed to move students forward on the path to post-secondary education and beyond in the fields of health and science. Ensure that all school policies, programs, and protocols are grounded in the belief that all students deserve a quality education that goes beyond preparation and focuses on developing knowledge, understanding, and humanity.
- Promotion of Student Outcomes: Strategize, implement, and monitor data-driven and innovative supports and resources to ensure all scholars are able to succeed, including students enrolled in Special Education and English Language Learners. Ensure that DRIHSCS succeeds in meeting the learner objectives set forth by the State of New York in the coming charter renewal period.
- Faculty/Staff Management: Lead, support, and inspire our 140 faculty and staff members. Recruit and retain a high-quality faculty of educators committed to our community, reflective of the diversity of the students we serve, and dedicated to our unique mission of preparing students for careers in the health and science fields.
- Family Involvement: Nurture a strong sense of community among our students, their families, and our faculty. Authentically connect and engage with parents/guardians to discover the many ways they can support their children’s education.
- Institutional Partnership: Leverage the expertise and contributions of UHP to deepen the connection between the institutional partner and school community, including further integration of UHP knowledge, programming, and career pathways into the School culture.
- External Relations: Act as DRIHSCS’s ambassador in its relations with other school systems, state agencies, corporations, media, community organizations, and all other external partners and collaborators. Maintain an effective working relationship with the Department of Education and Board of Regents.
- Master’s degree in education or science of education.
- Minimum of ten years as Head of School or equivalent at a high-performing charter, independent, or public school, preferably in a 6-12 setting.
- Experience working with predominantly Latino communities, Spanish fluency preferred.
- Experience working with a diverse range of student populations, including advanced and special needs student populations, as well as communities facing social and economic challenges.
- An evidenced track record of the ability to use data to develop strategies for improvement, construct effective interventions, and make strategic and tactical decisions.
- Experience with financial statement analysis, management of an over $10MM budget, with preferred experience in contract negotiations.
Compensation is $180,000 – 200,000, commensurate with experience. Organizational benefits include health insurance, 4 weeks of vacation, 10 days PTO, and 3% contribution to 403B.
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an exemplary education and school leader. Qualified candidates interested in this opportunity are invited to submit a resume to [email protected]
Dr. Richard Izquierdo Health & Science Charter School is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by relevant national and state law.
Posted By: Civitas Strategies
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert