Director of Finance
Nonprofit Cultural Organization
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Arts, Culture and Humanities
City: New York
Postal code: 10168
State: New York
Country: United States
$3M - $10M
A well-regarded nonprofit located in the midtown Manhattan area is seeking to identify a Director of Finance to join its senior team.
The Director of Finance will be an important member of the senior leadership team. They will have exceptional financial skills, be an excellent problem solver, have outstanding analytical skills, and be an effective implementer to ensure that the organization is able to execute its mission and goals. Experience in managing the finances for a nonprofit organization is key, as is experience working with arts and cultural organizations, real estate and housing, and/or community-based organizations. They must be a person of the highest integrity and be fully aware of their responsibilities and duties as a financial officer in an organization that is in the public eye and may receive public support.
The Director of Finance will be a partner to the chief executive and the executive team, and it is critical that they be capable of integrating smoothly into the senior management, fitting into the organization’s culture. They should have strong interpersonal skills, excellent written and oral communication skills, a hands-on management style, and the ability to address and solve problems or issues as they arise. In addition, they should be diplomatic, of the highest integrity, and possess sound judgment as well as a sense of humor.
· Manage the organization’s overall budget and finances as well as oversee the management and maintenance of all finance and accounting systems.
· Coordinate the budgeting process and timetable, working with the leadership and program staff to develop the annual budget.
· Work with staff to facilitate comparison between actual and projected results and make any necessary adjustments.
· Manage the organization’s banking and fiduciary relationships, including treasury services, investments, retirement funds and line of credit under the guidance of the Board Finance Committee.
· Serve as a member of senior staff, participating in the development and implementation of overall policies, long-range planning, and daily operational goals and objectives.
· Coordinate the preparation and filing of required government and funder reports.
· Develop and implement controls, systems and procedures for effective operations and timely monitoring and reporting.
· Manage relationship with external auditors.
· Provide primary support to appropriate Board Committees.
· Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or a related field; Advanced Degree preferred.
· Minimum of eight years of executive level management experience in a multi-faceted financial operation with significant budgeting and accounting responsibility, preferably in a nonprofit organization.
· Knowledge of internal control systems used for general accounting principles and specialized nonprofit industry accounting practices and procedures.
· Acumen in maintaining accurate financial records and preparing clear and accurate reports for informational, auditing, and operational use.
· High degree of proficiency in a computer-based accounting system.
· Ability to read, analyze, interpret and explain complex financial data.
· Ability to work independently, prioritizing workflow to meet critical deadlines while paying exceptionally close attention to detail.
· Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate and manage effectively at all levels of the organization.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
· Facility with technology and ability to identify and assist in executing new tech that can improve operations.
The organization is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants regardless of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or any other protected characteristic. This organization is committed to having a workforce that reflects the diversity of the population that it serves at all levels within the organization.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Anne McCarthy, COO
Harris Rand Lusk
Please e-mail your application to:
[email protected] and put the words “Confidential DoF” in the subject line.
Posted By: Harris Rand Lusk
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert