Breakthrough Greater Boston
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Education
City: Boston, Cambridge and Somerville
Postal code: 02238
Country: United States
$3M - $10M
About Us and Our Philosophy
Breakthrough Greater Boston (BTGB) is a transformative college access and teacher training program. BTGB offers six years of academic enrichment and college preparation to middle school and high school students with high potential but limited opportunities. Simultaneously, BTGB recruits, trains and inspires a diverse cohort of high achieving college students to become the next generation of urban teachers. Leveraging a Students Teaching Students model, BTGB provides engaging, tuition-free academic programming during the summer and after school. Our students gain the skills and motivation to succeed in rigorous high school courses and, ultimately, in college. Meanwhile, our teachers gain hands-on experience, research-based training and coaching from professional educators.
Over the past eight years, 97% of our graduating students have matriculated to college, and 82% of them have persisted through their undergraduate years. On average, more than 70% of our graduating teachers have gone on to pursue careers in education. After two decades of success at our original Cambridge site, BTGB embarked upon a significant program expansion and opened a second site in Boston in the summer of 2013 and a third site in Somerville in 2018. As an independent 501c3 nonprofit, Breakthrough Greater Boston is part of The Breakthrough Collaborative, a national educational movement working to improve educational outcomes for youth across 25 U.S. cities.
With a deep commitment to our mission, BTGB operates with the highest standards of integrity and best practices, while also enjoying the ability to be innovative and flexible to meet the evolving needs of our students, families and teachers. Our team is diverse, high-performing and dedicated. We continue to build an organizational culture that emphasizes our core values for every member of our community:
- Spirit: We cherish and embody the youthful energy and spirit of our students and teachers
- Continual Learning: Everyone in our community has something to learn and something to teach
- Team Together: We all chip in to accomplish whatever is needed for our teammates and the broader organization
- Student Centered: Our students are our first priority and our decisions center around what benefits our students
- Equity and Opportunity: We value diversity of identity, background and thought. We treat everyone with dignity and respect
- Excellence in Everything: We maintain high expectations for ourselves
Breakthrough Greater Boston encourages individuals of all backgrounds to apply for this position, and we do not discriminate on any basis prohibited by applicable law. We celebrate the diversity of our world and our community, and we seek to build a team that reflects that diversity in every way. We welcome and encourage all qualified applicants who share that same vision, as we wish to engage all those who can contribute to our work and this mission.
BTGB is currently seeking a motivated and professional Development Associate to play a critical role in the organization’s development function as we expand our reach, programmatic impact and the funding base necessary to support such growth. The Development Associate will be someone who has exceptional project management and communication skills, is highly detail oriented, takes tremendous pride in their work and strives for excellence. They will be excited about making a real impact in people’s lives, enjoy new challenges and be eager to help extend the impact of BTGB’s work to more students and teachers. The Development Associate will report to the Director of Development and Partnerships and also work closely with the Executive Director, Director of Operations, Program Team and interns.
A successful Development Associate will:
- Manage the organization’s grant calendar and submissions, lead proposal and report writing and keep an active list of funding prospects.
- Maintain and provide analysis of all development data in the organization’s database, eTapestry, including regularly updating information that’s essential to managing donor and partner relationships.
- Support donor cultivation and stewardship activities and events such as print and online appeals, our annual Breakthrough Gala and smaller tailored donor experiences.
- Assist with the writing and design of development and marketing communications across multiple print and digital platforms to a variety of external audiences.
In this exciting role you will be responsible for a variety of critical development and communication responsibilities including:
Grant Writing and Management
- Serve as the primary writer on all grant proposals and reports to foundations; BTGB typically submits over 75 proposals and reports, ranging from $5,000 to more than $100,000, annually
- Manage the grant submission process, including collection and synthesis of data, completion of high-quality proposals, tracking, reporting and some correspondence with donors
- Develop and maintain an annual schedule of letters of inquiry, proposals and reports, tracking outcomes and updating the calendar on a regular basis
- Build a pipeline of prospective funders for BTGB by researching and identifying new grant prospects, ensuring an average of 25% increase in new foundation funds annually
- Take primary responsibility for the organization’s development database in eTapestry, becoming an expert in its design and functionality, developing strategies for its use and ensuring regular, accurate updating and report generation
- Analyze and share fundraising data with internal and external audiences so that BTGB can make informed decisions on fundraising prospects and strategies
- Maintain up-to-date contact information and record of contacts
Donor Stewardship and Solicitation
- Regularly research and identify foundation, corporation and individual prospects at all giving levels
- Support strategic donor outreach and communications including annual appeals, regular correspondence with key funding representatives and coordinate necessary site visits
- Assist with developing the strategy, managing the logistics and executing all activities for BTGB’s three annual events: the Breakthrough Gala in May (a large fundraiser), Celebration in August (a student and family event) and Breakthroughs in Education in December (a content-based cultivation event)
- Support the Director of Development and Partnerships, Director of Major Gifts, Executive Director, Board of Directors and Associate Board with their development and marketing efforts
- Manage a calendar of communications that incorporates planned outreach and updates across social media, email, print mailings and BTGB’s website that will go to donors, prospects, volunteers and other external constituents
- In collaboration with the Director of Development and Partnerships, manage the design and creation of email and hard copy content, quarterly newsletter and periodic e-communications to donors, friends and prospective donors
- Develop and manage the strategy for BTGB’s social media platforms, ensuring timely and interactive social media content
- Support updates to BTGB’s website
- · Support the management of BTGB’s branded collateral, including organizational one pagers
YOUR BACKGROUND AND QUALIFICATIONS
As the incoming Development Associate, you will possess many, though perhaps not all, of the following characteristics and qualifications:
- At least three years of relevant work experience; direct experience with fundraising and grant writing required
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including experience interacting with internal and external parties
- Ability to work on multiple projects, adjust quickly to shifting priorities, meet deadlines, exercise good judgment and handle high-pressure situations
- Outstanding organization skills and high attention to detail
- Flexibility and adaptability with a strong work ethic and an entrepreneurial spirit
- Ability to take initiative and anticipate potential project complications or needs before they arise
- Energetic, enthusiastic and interested in learning within a fast-paced, fast-growing organization
- Strong computer skills that includes experience with donor databases (eTapestry preferred), Microsoft Office, social media platforms, design software (such as InDesign) and Wordpress.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
- Experience in educational settings a plus
- Fluency in Spanish, Haitian Creole, Portuguese, Amharic, Bengali or Somali a plus
- Candidates of color and those from low-income backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
HOW TO JOIN OUR TEAM
If you are interested in learning more about how your passion and experience can help Breakthrough meet its mission and grow its impact, please submit your resume and a thoughtful and targeted cover letter outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity. Applications can be submitted to Emma Samler, Director of Development and Partnerships, at [email protected].
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Learn more about Breakthrough Greater Boston at www.breakthroughgreaterboston.org.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert