Purpose of Position:
Under general direction from the CFO, Controller compiles and analyzes financial information for the Association; develops integrated revenue and expense analyses, financial projections, reports and presentations; creates and analyzes monthly, quarterly, and annual reports and ensures financial information has been recorded accurately; identifies trends and developments and presents findings to CFO; performs reconciliation of internal accounts; relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals; performs a variety of complicated tasks; leads and directs the work of others; a wide degree of resourcefulness is expected.
· Analyzes general ledger accounts and prepares necessary journal entries.
· Plans, manages, and assists with the daily functions, operations, and activities of the Finance department, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, and collections.
· Manages month-end closing of financial statements; prepares journal entries, reviews entries prepared by staff; inputs data into general ledgers; ensures that all departments have submitted bills for month end.
· Prepares monthly bank reconciliations, investigates and resolves any unreconciled differences and prepares cash flow analysis and forecasted cash projections.
· Assists CFO with year-end audit; analyzes data and prepares work papers for and interacts with auditors.
· Coordinates various other audits e.g. workers comp.
· Ensure the integrity of the general ledger system, maintains chart-of-accounts.
· Processes and maintains fixed asset information and depreciation
· Reconciles subsidiary ledgers to general ledgers.
· Assists various other departments with accounting related issues and prepares accounting reports for them and senior management.
· Analyzes and reconciles various balance sheet accounts, such as inter-company receivables, accrued payables, deferred accounts, etc.
· Develops reports to assist with analysis and forecasting.
· Prepares individual departments and company's balance sheets and income statements, as well as the consolidated financial statements.
· Develops budgets for grant applications, tracks grants, and prepares periodic grant reports for CFO review.
· Assists in the preparation of annual budgets and budget revisions. Helps develop, maintain, and analyze budgets, preparing periodic reports for external and internal use.
· Processes membership billings and payments for dues and services.
· Records timesheets and posts payroll.
· Provides accounting policy orientation for new staff.
Skills and Abilities Required:
- Act as the lead in project and program management expertise including implementation and evaluation.
- Develop a high level of expertise in assigned content areas to provide guidance and technical assistance to staff and Association membership.
- Assist with grant and budget management, contract development and reporting.
- Strong presentation and written communication skills.
- Effective interpersonal and professional skills when engaging with Association membership and Board of Directors, vendors and partners.
- Work collaboratively with senior leadership and multi departmental teams.
- Serve as lead staff to designated peer networks, work groups, task forces and committees.
- Supervise, train and evaluate staff.
- Advanced problem solving, critical thinking, organization and time management
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and web based applications and platforms.
- Self-direct, recommend strategic direction and influence change;
- Support the Association’s Strategic Plan
- Attends and participates in required Association meetings.
- Reports regularly to supervisor.
- Participates in CPCA events and represents the Association as requested to include state and national events.
- Travel for national and regional meetings, training and site visits by air and ground transportation.
- Other duties as assigned.