Director, Sponsorship and Corporate Relations
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Arts, Culture and Humanities
City: New York
Postal code: 10023
State: New York
Country: United States
The Metropolitan Opera is a vibrant home for the most creative and talented singers, conductors, composers, musicians, stage directors, designers, visual artists, choreographers, and dancers from around the world. Each season the Met stages more than 200 opera performances in New York. More than 800,000 people attend the performances in the opera house during the season, and millions more experience the Met through new media distribution initiatives and state-of-the-art technology.
The Director of Sponsorship and Corporate Partnerships will lead a refocus on the corporate sector, generating a list of new high-level prospects, creating engagement strategies and actively working on cultivation and solicitation. We are seeking a highly organized and detail-oriented individual who exhibits a stellar sense of diplomacy and tact and a love of hosting and entertaining prospects. The ideal candidate will exhibit excellent oral, written, and computer skills, and can demonstrate the ability to skillfully handle donor situations. This person is able to work quickly and adapt readily to changes in priorities. The role will work with development leadership, the marketing team, the General Manager and board members on active recruitment of potential sponsors and will work towards significantly increasing sponsorships. This individual also guides the active Corporate Patrons program, from solicitation to fulfillment. The position supervises one team member.
- Identify, cultivate and solicit new sources of corporate support, through a proactive identification, education and engagement strategy. Deploy resources across The Met in service to said sponsorship opportunities, including Marketing, Media, Finance, Education and Artistic.
- Create sponsorship strategy by sector (technology, finance, pharmaceutical, retail, travel, hospitality, etc.) and develop timeline, value proposition, and revenue forecast.
- Reevaluate sponsorship benefits and rescale benefits for larger sponsorship gifts
- Solicit in-kind sponsorships to meet Met needs.
- Prepare detailed and compelling proposals and reports; follow up on requests and report requirements related to grants, and manage other correspondence with funders and prospects on a timely basis.
- Manage communication with designated relationships through meetings, site-visits, conference calls, personal cultivation and event invitations; steward existing sponsors and partners.
- Manage administration of sponsorship efforts, including tracking income and expense budgets; and creating and maintaining annual solicitation, acquisition, stewardship and reporting calendars.
- Oversee the maintenance of all corporate records, as well as those funders associated with select special projects, and Lincoln Center Corporate Fund.
- Ensure proper fulfillment of sponsorship deliverables and activation, complex agreements with major sponsors, and contractual obligations, including managing the Met’s official Credit Book corporate lines and ensuring proper crediting in all print and digital materials.
- Acquire and steward Corporate Patrons with excellence and accuracy; establish program for growth up the giving ladder. Evaluate Corporate Patron benefits and determine servicing budgets.
- Serve as liaison to the Lincoln Center Corporate Fund.
- Entertain and cultivate current and prospective funders during the season; attend select functions and special events.
- Liaise with all departments across the Met, including Development, Media, Legal, Marketing, Education, Operations, Artistic, and House Management.
- Provide additional support to the Director of Special Campaigns and Leadership Gifts, and assist Assistant General Manager for Development with special solicitations as directed.
Qualifications & Skill Requirements:
- Undergraduate degree; graduate degree in related field preferred
- Minimum of 7 years of development experience, with an emphasis on corporate fundraising and proven track record of securing large gifts
- Superior writing skills, with the ability to create persuasive and descriptive written materials
- Knowledge of marketing and experience partnering with a seasoned marketing team on deliverables
- Ability to manage a campaign within the constructs of an overall development operation, coordinating all campaign efforts with other institutional priorities and goals
- Experience fundraising for the performing arts/cultural sector; knowledge of opera, Excel, and Tessitura preferred
- Requires some late evenings/weekends for cultivation activities
- Regularly required to sit, talk, and hear
- Frequently required to use repetitive hand motion and to stand, walk, reach, bend
- Occasionally required to lift up to 20 pounds.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please e-mail your resume and cover letter to [email protected], including “Director, Sponsorship and Corporate Relations” in the subject line of your e-mail.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert