Campaign Director-Climate Law Institute
Center for Biological Diversity
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Environment
Postal code: 94612
Country: United States
$10M - $20M
OUR MISSION: SAVING LIFE ON EARTH
At the Center for Biological Diversity, we believe that the welfare of human beings is deeply linked to nature — to the existence in our world of a vast diversity of wild animals and plants.
Because diversity has intrinsic value, and because its loss impoverishes society, we work to secure a future for all species, great and small, hovering on the brink of extinction.
We do so through science, law and creative media, with a focus on protecting the lands, waters and climate that species need to survive.
We want those who come after us to inherit a world where the wild is still alive.
General Overview: The Center for Biological Diversity seeks a full-time Campaign Director in our Climate Law Institute to join our campaign for progressive, urgent government action to address the climate emergency.
The position is located in Oakland or Los Angeles with other locations considered on a case-by-case basis.
The Climate Law Institute wages innovative legal and grassroots campaigns to protect people, wildlife and ecosystems from climate change and the dirty and dangerous fossil fuel industry.We work to eliminate greenhouse pollution and speed the just transition to 100 percent clean, renewable energy. Examples of our campaign goals include ending federal fossil fuel leasing, phasing out existing drilling, and using the full power of the Clean Air Act to address greenhouse pollution economy-wide.
The successful candidate will take primary responsibility for running our organizing and campaigning work, as part of a dynamic team including organizers, scientists, lawyers and media professionals. This position reports to the Climate Law Institute Program Director.
- Developing and running national and state level campaigns in conjunction with the Program Director and team.
- Supervising other campaign staff both in the same office and remotely.
- Coordinating excellent communication between staff throughout the organization regarding campaign activities and goals.
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with coalition allies working together to achieve our goals. This includes playing a leadership role in coalitions through regular in-person, phone, and electronic communication.
- Forming strategic relationships with new allies to increase our mutual power.
- Organizing and promoting participation in hearings, protests, and other advocacy efforts.
- Assisting with legislative efforts, such as supporting interaction with members of Congress.
- Expanding recruitment and engagement of Center supporters nationally on climate issues.
- Travel required.
The Center for Biological Diversity deeply values, and is committed to sustaining and promoting, both biological and cultural diversity. We welcome, embrace and respect diversity of people, identities and cultures. We are committed to fostering an organizational culture of diversity and inclusion. The Center believes staff and board diversity is critical to saving life on Earth.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
Essential qualities, qualifications and skills:
- Seven to ten years of experience in results-oriented coalition organizing and advocacy campaigns.
- Three to five years in a leadership role, including experience supervising other staff, and developing and implementing all aspects of campaign strategy.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with colleagues and organizations with a wide array of goals, perspectives, and backgrounds. Commitment to incorporating principles of justice, equity, and inclusion into all aspects of the work.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully navigate challenges, including from a powerful and well-resourced opposition.
- Strong organizational skills and an ability to succeed in a fast-paced environment with a full workload where it is necessary to balance multiple tasks and deadlines.
- Excellent analytic, written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and with a team.
- Experience with media outreach and media interviews strongly preferred.
- Paid generous medical, dental and vision plan.
- Paid STD and LTD.
- 403(b) plan with opportunity for match.
- Relaxed work atmosphere.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Application process: Please apply on our website by submitting a cover letter, resume, writing sample and 3-5 references as a single document. The position will remain open until filled. No telephone calls, please. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert