Director of People
Global Health Corps
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Function: Human Resources/Recruiting
Primary domain: Community/Capacity Building
City: New York
Postal code: 10018
State: New York
Country: United States
Our mission is to mobilize a diverse community of leaders to build the movement for global health equity.
Global Health Corps is mobilizing a global community of emerging leaders to build the movement for health equity. Passionate young leaders enter the GHC community by participating in yearlong paid fellowship opportunities. During this year, GHC fellows serve in positions of impact within outstanding organizations in sub-Saharan Africa. They also engage in intensive training, professional development opportunities, mentorship and thoughtful community-building.
As Global Health Corps enters its second decade, it is poised to harness the full potential of its community and contribute to real health systems change. Through collective leadership, GHC brings together these diverse actors needed to solve the complex and challenging problems. Adaptive and innovative, GHC leaders are ready and able to solve tomorrow’s health problems, today.
Global Health Corps seeks a strategic, mission-driven Director of People to oversee all aspects of Human Resources and position our staff to flourish throughout their employee life cycle.
Our ideal candidate will have a background in organizational development, an understanding of labor and tax law, and experience in talent acquisition and organizational culture development. This is a great role for someone who has experience in - and gets energy from - engaging in a range of HR functions, maximizing the connections between them, and positioning staff with the systems, processes, and culture they need to thrive in the workplace.
Our Director of People will be a senior leadership team member who will manage 1-2 staff and report to our CEO.
The Director of People will fill a critical role in a close-knit, multi-cultural and dynamic organization.
Specific responsibilities include:
Lead the People Team
- Manage our Director of Labor & Compliance, People Team intern, and any seasonal, part-time, or contract staff engaging in people work
- Strategically identify opportunities to streamline people-related processes and improve team outcomes
Oversee Employee and Organizational Compliance
- Stay abreast of labor and tax law in all of GHC’s countries of operation (currently the U.S., Malawi, Rwanda, Uganda, and Zambia), working with the Labor & Compliance Director to ensure GHC is consistently compliant
- Develop, and oversee implementation of, internal policies, procedures, and programs to minimize organizational risk
- Manage employee relations, internal inquiries, and investigations, if and as necessary
- Ensure GHC's employee records and personnel information are consistently up-to-date and accurate
- Support our annual financial audit, as needed
Manage Talent Acquisition, Onboarding, and Offboarding
- Manage headcount and succession planning with the senior leadership team
- Oversee GHC's overarching recruitment, selection, and hiring, with a particular emphasis on consistently strengthening GHC's commitment to diversity
- Support hiring managers' engagement in selection and hiring
- Manage all strategic, administrative, and cultural aspects of employee exits and transitions
Steward Staff Performance Management, Learning, and Development
- Coordinate annual performance reviews and semi-annual compensation and rewards adjustments
- Support and advise managers in their efforts to build thriving teams and develop direct reports
- Oversee staff learning & development, including management of the organization's Professional Development fund, coordination of staff step-backs and retreats, and oversight of all-staff learning experiences
Shape Organizational Culture
- Oversee Global Health Corps' important cultural priority of building a trusting, respectful, and inclusive environment across staff location, background, and identity
- Facilitate recurring feedback cycles among and between staff
- Steward our staff's commitment to fostering an increasingly diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment
Oversee Benefits Administration
- Ensure staff are aware of and maximizing employee benefits
- Review and select employee benefits in alignment with country regulations, people-related best practices, and new thinking in the field
- Ten+ years of progressive leadership experience in People/Human Resources/Human Capital Management positions
- Thorough knowledge of human resource management principles, best practices, and budgeting
- Experience building and managing performance, reward, and benefits programs
- Understanding of employment and tax legislation and regulations (preferably in at least one of our countries of operation)
- Familiarity with mediation and employee relations
- Experience creating and fostering organizational culture initiatives
- Demonstrated excellence in strategy, thought leadership, change management, and collaborating across a global and diverse community
- Empathetic leader who understands, and can effectively navigate, cultural nuances and working styles across our teams and offices worldwide
- Outstanding communication, interpersonal relationship, and partnership skills
- Proven commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Proven examples of coaching and relationship building at all levels of an organization
- Prior work experience in a mission- and culture-driven organization is highly preferred
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Submit your application here: https://jobs.lever.co/ghcorps/eed13607-baf7-4c6d-a174-8683597b336d
GHC EMBRACES AND VALUES DIVERSE SKILLSETS AND BACKGROUNDS
We are a community of leaders who are proud to represent many different national, racial, ethnic, socio-economic, religious, gender, and other identities. We represent varied professional backgrounds, collaborating across fields and sectors to form a powerful, close-knit network of changemakers. Our diversity as a community is our strength, driving our ability to be empathetic, visionary, and effective leaders in the health equity movement, and engage with the world with dignity and respect.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Thanks for applying!
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert