National Regional Political Coordinator
Way to Win
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Function: Strategic Planning
Primary domain: Advocacy/Social Action
Postal code: 78704
Country: United States
$10M - $20M
Way to Win is a resource and strategy hub founded in 2017 by a group of donors and organizers seeking a new approach to progressive political funding that wins elections, advances transformative policy, and builds lasting power. The Way to Win strategy supports candidates who reflect the values and demographics of their communities and the independent political organizations who work to elect and hold them accountable to improving lives. During the 2018 midterm elections, Way to Win moved millions of dollars across 29 states, impacting more than 100 state and federal races and ballot initiatives.
The Way to Win strategy supports the alignment of donors, organized communities, and political candidates who reflect their constituents to:
- Win back the White House and Congress by creating a political realignment to upend the Southern strategy, wherever it’s taken root, through the millions of voters chronically under-resourced by traditional parties and campaigns.
- Take power at the city and state levels by investing in primaries, winning local races, and inspiring turnout. We will also combat REDMAP and prepare for redistricting by holding governorships and flipping state legislative chambers with inspiring progressives, not just generic Democrats.
- Establish a model of progressive governance, advancing bold policies that improve people’s everyday lives – e.g. living wage, universal healthcare, debt-free education, affordable housing, and criminal justice reform at the state and local levels until we regain power at the national level.
- Reorganize structures of accountability. Rather than the Democratic Party being accountable to donors, we need a party that is accountable to progressive social movements, backed by progressive donors.
Way to Win is growing its political team and seeking an experienced and strategic leader to help build out the existing strategy in 2020, specifically playing a lead role in communicating with partner organizations on the ground, assessing their programs, and reporting those back to the Way to Win team. This is an opportunity to upend politics as usual by developing, in partnership with the political staff and groups on the ground, electoral plans designed to implement long-term power building. Our aim is not just to win near-term elections but to expand the electorate through organizing for policy change. This position reports to and works with the Director of Political Strategy.
- Work with the Director of Political Strategy to ensure that progress is made not only on electoral wins, but also additional metrics, such as representation, base expansion, and lives improved through policy change.
- Understand and collect consistent reportable metrics for programs across the states, evaluate partner program outcomes and monitor progress toward goals. Report progress to the organizations and within Way to Win.
- Cultivate and deepen relationships with grantees, potential grantees, and partners.
- Contribute to all aspects of the Political Department’s work, including funding needs tracking, grants management, and Board support.
- Produce independent political analysis of political and movement landscapes in select geographies in order to win elections and govern from strength.
- Work with the team to create written materials that articulate our funding strategy for partners and donors and other strategic memoranda, decks, or verbal materials needed to advance Way to Win’s mission and strategy.
- Support the organization’s focus not just on how to win, but also why we win—with a vision towards moving progressive policy.
- Analyze data post-election to learn lessons and adjust funding strategies.
- Coordinate with the Advising Department and the President’s Office to ensure compliance and information sharing.
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will be a progressive operative with at least five years of experience in electoral campaigns, political advocacy, and/or progressive movement-building, plus if in a coalition environment.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, including the ability to quickly produce materials for a donor and media audience.
- Deep and thorough understanding of political data and data reporting/management tools (VAN, Salesforce, etc.).
- Experience with grantmaking as either a grantor or grantee.
- Excellent listening, interpersonal, communication, time management, and problem-solving skills while maintaining a devotion to detail.
- Familiarity with large-scale political plans and an understanding of various tax and legal statuses and their potential for long-term power building.
- Applicant must be a self-starter who can juggle multiple projects at once.
- Experience managing organizational/campaign priorities, vision, budget, and cash flow a plus.
- Candidates who do not meet requirements will be considered for a Political Associate position.
General Core Compentencies
- Attention to Detail: Checks work carefully to ensure visuals, writing, content, etc. are error-free and high quality—both for individual work, and when reviewing team projects.
- Productivity: Handles a significant volume of work under fast-paced deadlines, without sacrificing quality.
- Project Management: Oversees and structures complex projects, plans backwards, and ensures quality end-products are delivered on or ahead of schedule, without crises.
- Problem-Solving: Identifies issues, effectively structures problems, analyzes data to produce insights, and generates wise, actionable recommendations.
- Organization: Keeps organized and accessible files, notes, and records to ensure important information is retained and can be shared with current and future teammates.
- Teamwork & Communication (in a virtual office): Works well with others; communicates updates, progress, and challenges clearly and completely to managers and collaborators; coordinates across departments; is adept at using virtual tools and software.
- External Relations: Serves as an effective ambassador, builds connections, and maintains relationships with outside constituents.
- Salary commensurate with experience, from $60-90,000/per annum, plus a generous benefits package, including:
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- Retirement Plan (401k, IRA)
- Life Insurance (Basic, Voluntary & AD&D)
- Paid Time Off (Vacation, Sick & Public Holidays)
- Family Leave (Maternity, Paternity)
- Short Term & Long Term Disability
- Training & Development
- Work From Home
- Awesome Slack channels
$75k - 90k
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please upload your resume, cover letter, and references to apply.
Applications may be submitted to: https://apply.workable.com/waytowin/j/89BF434EB6/
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert