Center for Biological Diversity
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Advocacy/Social Action
Postal code: 94612
Country: United States
$10M - $20M
At the Center for Biological Diversity, we believe that the welfare of human beings is deeply linked to nature — to the existence in our world of a vast diversity of wild animals and plants.
Because diversity has intrinsic value, and because its loss impoverishes society, we work to secure a future for all species, great and small, hovering on the brink of extinction.
We do so through science, law and creative media, with a focus on protecting the lands, waters and climate that species need to survive.
We want those who come after us to inherit a world where the wild is still alive.
The Center for Biological Diversity seeks an experienced campaigner for its oceans program. The aim of the position is to campaign for the protection of marine wildlife and ecosystems from threats including offshore drilling, plastic pollution, climate change and destructive fisheries.
Position overview: We are seeking a motivated, strategic, and experienced campaigner. Priority campaigns in the coming year include: (1) fighting the massive plastic industry boom; (2) halting a major new oil pipeline that threatens the California coast; and (3) advancing protections for endangered marine wildlife.
The campaigner will use their skills to plan and execute strategic campaigns that promote ocean conservation. The campaigner will develop and implement bold initiatives to mobilize support for our campaigns. The position will include organizing protests and other creative tactics. An integral part of the position will be to build power with allies and the public to influence decision-makers on critical issues.
- Plan and implement effective campaigns that inspire people to demand meaningful policy changes.
- Develop and run state- and national-level campaigns, and coordinate with program staff on campaigns.
- Communicate with decision-makers, the public, allies and opinion leaders through writing, outreach and public speaking.
- Write science and policy-based comments for administrative and legislative advocacy.
- Engage, coordinate and collaborate with a broad alliance of organizations in coalition to identify and advance winning strategies.
- Media advocacy and delivering effective statements to reporters.
- Organizing and promoting participation in hearings, protests, and other events.
- Travel required.
Essential qualities, qualifications and skills:
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral; including strong public speaking skills
- At least three years of experience leading successful campaigns
- Track record of inspiring people to take action in online and offline spaces
- Highly organized and experience managing multiple projects
- Strong work ethic and time management skills
- Experience working effectively within coalitions, including honoring best practices and competence in diversity, equity and inclusion
The Center offers a very generous benefits package which includes:
- Paid medical, dental and vision plan for employee
- Paid short-term and long-term disability
- 403(b) plan with opportunity for match
- Relaxed work atmosphere
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Application Process: Please apply via our website by submitting a cover letter, resume, references and a writing sample as a single document. The position will remain open until filled. No telephone calls, please. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert