Staff Attorney- Nevada
Center for Biological Diversity
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Environment
City: Las Vegas
Postal code: 89122
Country: United States
$10M - $20M
OUR MISSION: SAVING LIFE ON EARTH
At the Center for Biological Diversity, we believe that the welfare of human beings is deeply linked to nature — to the existence in our world of a vast diversity of wild animals and plants.
Because diversity has intrinsic value, and because its loss impoverishes society, we work to secure a future for all species, great and small, hovering on the brink of extinction.
We do so through science, law and creative media, with a focus on protecting the lands, waters and climate that species need to survive.
We want those who come after us to inherit a world where the wild is still alive.
The Center for Biological Diversity seeks an attorney to join our team of attorneys, scientists, campaigners and organizers who are working to protect America’s public lands and imperiled species in Nevada.
General position overview: The position will involve using applicable laws, including the Endangered Species Act, National Environmental Policy Act, Federal Land Policy and Management Act, Administrative Procedures Act, various Nevada environmental statutes, and others, to engage in a range of efforts to protect federal public lands and imperiled species from mining, livestock grazing, public lands sell offs or transfers, water grabs and other harmful activities. The position requires a dynamic, dedicated, organized, and self-motivated individual with experience in public lands law and litigation.
The focus of this position will be to support existing work and also to expand the scope of work with a broader litigation focus. The new staff attorney will work closely with the Nevada state director, be supervised by the regions program director and the public lands legal director, and will also work closely with other program staff. Multiple locations will be considered, including Las Vegas, Reno, and Carson City. The staff attorney will work from their home office, with a stipend provided.
- Track, analyze and comment on harmful proposals including plan amendments/revisions and site-specific projects as appropriate.
- Litigate to challenge harmful projects in federal and state court. Engage in administrative advocacy, such as commenting on proposed plans, projects, and rule-makings and the preparation of petitions for rule-making.
- Engage in analysis of and advocacy regarding pending state and federal legislation.
- Participate in strategic planning and execution of both legal and campaign strategies.
- Develop cases to further the goals of the Center's Nevada Program.
- Work with regional, local and national partners.
- Work with scientists and other related experts.
- Work with relevant staff to prepare external communications; deliver effective messages to the media; and give talks at relevant conferences.
The Center for Biological Diversity deeply values, and is committed to sustaining and promoting, both biological and cultural diversity. We welcome, embrace and respect diversity of people, identities and cultures. We are committed to fostering an organizational culture of diversity and inclusion. The Center believes staff and board diversity is critical to saving life on Earth.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
Essential qualities, qualifications and skills desired:
- At least 2 years experience as an environmental attorney.
- Experience developing strategic litigation and litigating under relevant federal statutes, specifically: ESA, NEPA, FLPMA, APA.
- Working collaboratively with peers.
- Knowledge of federal laws relating to public lands and endangered species management and protection.
- General knowledge of water law.
- Knowledge of or ability to quickly get up to speed on biology of, and threats to public lands and imperiled species.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Member of a state bar and willingness to become barred in Nevada.
- A strong work ethic and excellent time-management skills.
- An identity as a self-starter with the ability to work independently and as a part of a team.
- Passion for public lands, imperiled species, water stewardship, and for tackling climate change.
- Paid generous medical, dental and vision plan.
- Paid STD and LTD.
- 403(b) plan with opportunity for match.
- Relaxed work atmosphere.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Application process: Please apply on our website by submitting a cover letter, a resume, references and a writing sample as a single document. The position will remain open until filled. No telephone calls, please. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert