Position: Principal, Investment Team - Seed
Location: Chicago, IL or Denver-Boulder, CO
THE ORGANIZATIONThe Charter School Growth Fund (CSGF) is a leading nonprofit venture philanthropy fund dedicated to identifying the nation’s best public charter schools, funding their expansion, and helping to increase their impact. Our portfolio includes 75 public charter school networks that operate 1071 schools and serve nearly 477,000 students in 31 states. We operate with the same strategies, discipline, and focus as a venture capital firm by awarding multi-year grants and loans to talented education entrepreneurs who are building networks of high-quality charter schools that enroll significant numbers of low-income and minority students. Ultimately, we think our portfolio can grow to serve ~1,000,000 students.
The Role: CSGF is seeking an Investment Principal lead on the CSGF Seed Team. The Principal will work in collaboration with CSGF’s Partners to develop potential new investments, manage ongoing relationships with, and provide outstanding counsel to the senior charter leaders in the Seed portfolio. The ideal candidate will have a strong results orientation and financial and analytical skills and will demonstrate an ability to manage complex projects, think strategically, and communicate effectively with diverse groups of stakeholders. The Principal will join a highly talented investment team that has strong business, education, venture capital, and philanthropic experience.
This is an ideal position for someone who is looking for an exceptional opportunity to develop professionally, contribute meaningfully to a unique organization, support the next generation of charter school network leaders of color, and gain a deeper understanding of entrepreneurs who are working to change K‐12 education. We are looking for candidates who are passionate about, knowledgeable, and committed to K‐12 education reform.
The Team: In 2019, we launched an expanded effort, our Seed Strategy, to invest in early-stage public charter network, building on the success of our Emerging CMO (ECMO) work. As part of our Seed Strategy, we expanded our traditional ECMO application to be inclusive of all leaders to capture more early-stage operators doing great work, especially in non-traditional geographies and school models. The new Seed team Investment Principal will help us grow this exciting new area of work.
Below is a general outline of responsibilities. CSGF is a fast-moving organization and roles and responsibilities may change to meet the needs of the organization and the charter networks we support.
· Source and identify new charter school networks to join the fund
o Source potential investments including meeting with entrepreneurs and attending relevant conferences and networking events
o Lead intensive due diligence on charter school networks, including visiting schools, evaluating management teams and boards, analyzing financial projections, achievement data, local market dynamics, and reviewing business plans
o Refine and execute the selection process including preparation and presentation of investment memos and recommendations to CSGF’s senior management and board of directors
· Provide strategic and technical support to the Seed portfolio as they grow their organizations
o Serve as thought partner to the leadership teams of charter school networks during their strategic planning and business planning processes
o Act as ongoing strategic advisor to portfolio member management teams and support relationship management
o Connect portfolio members with resources to accelerate their network growth and expansion
· Develop and execute a learning program for the portfolio members
o Identify common needs throughout the portfolio and design opportunities for the leaders to learn from industry experts
o Facilitate peer interactions and sharing of best practices
· Work closely with CSGF Partners on various research and analytic projects
· Collaborate with other CSGF teams to continuously improve internal processes and workflow
· Lead and manage new strategic initiatives
WORKING AT CSGF
We are focused on hiring and developing great people and believe that building diverse perspectives across our team make us more effective in expanding our impact. (This is reflected in Our Commitment to Diversity Statement.) Our core values are:
- Results. We work relentlessly to create efficient, measurable, and sustainable results. We strive for excellence and pursue our mission tenaciously. Ideally, you thrive working in a self-directed manner in a fluid environment where flexibility and tenacity are required.
- Entrepreneurship. We embrace calculated risks and new approaches. We have an entrepreneurial spirit that welcomes innovation, diversity of ideas, and risk. We rely on you to question conventional wisdom and think independently.
- Integrity. We are truthful, fair, and trustworthy in all aspects of our work. We hold ourselves and our partners to the highest ethical standards. We trust you will too.
- Respect. We appreciate the challenges faced by education entrepreneurs and recognize the limits of our own knowledge. We understand that our ultimate success depends on that of our partners. Your humility will be key to building trusted and authentic relationships.
- Teamwork. We value each of our team members as individuals but believe that we achieve the best results by workingtogether. We willingly sacrifice individual interests and recognition for greater collective impact. We hope having fun at work is important to you and that you are a team player.
CSGF seeks candidates who can start as soon as possible. Work authorization required (candidate must have permanent authorization to work in the US).