Director, Advisory Services
Social Finance Inc.
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Function: General Management
Primary domain: Other
City: Boston, Austin, San Francisco
Postal code: 02108
Country: United States
About Social Finance
Social Finance is a national 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to mobilizing capital to drive social progress. We believe that everyone should have the opportunity to thrive and that we can catalyze that opportunity through building innovative financing solutions and driving uncommon cross-sector partnerships. We do our work across: Education, Children and Families, Workforce, Criminal Justice, Sustainability, Health, and Homelessness. In all we do, we are centered on our core values – People, Performance, Integrity, and Collaboration.
In our Social Investment practice, we develop and implement a suite of innovative financing mechanisms, known as Pay for Success, to connect performance to payment. We started with the Social Impact Bond, a unique public-private partnership in which impact investors provide upfront capital to scale effective nonprofits and governments repay investors only if outcomes are achieved. Today our Social Investments portfolio also includes the Career Impact Bond and the Outcomes Rate Card.
Each Pay for Success strategy incorporates cross-sector partnerships, clearly defined outcomes, data-driven decision-making, strong governance and accountability, and private investment capital where appropriate. To date, we have mobilized more than $110M across 12 Pay for Success projects. In addition to scaling our current strategies, our Social Investments team is constantly innovating to develop new tools to improve outcomes and achieve systems-level change.
In our Advisory practice, we deploy the principles of Pay for Success to help our clients across the sectors achieve greater impact. We identify best-in-class interventions, execute economic analyses, perform rigorous due diligence, quantify impact, and build service provider capacity. In every project we work with clients to develop creative and customized solutions – be it one of our Pay for Success tools or not – that are tailored to the particular needs of each community.
Role and Responsibilities
In collaboration with the CEO and senior management, the Director will both shape and implement the organization’s advisory services strategy. The Director of Advisory Services is expected to deliver high quality advisory work to Social Finance’s partners including: building and maintaining critical external relationships, overseeing and guiding projects, creating and delivering strong final recommendations, and developing team members. The composition of the Director’s workload will be fluid and subject to change according to opportunities and projects available.
External relationship management
As an intermediary among all three sectors, maintaining relationships and building our reputation is crucial to our success. The Director may be involved in sourcing and vetting these relationships, maintaining them, and /or delegating them to team members. Key responsibilities include:
- Serving as primary contact with peer-level stakeholders through all phases of an advisory project; influencing partners to take the steps required to achieve greatest impact
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with partners and others in relevant networks
- Marketing Social Finance and its offerings to all potential partners; building the pipeline of advisory business in collaboration with Social Finance senior management
The Director is responsible for managing advisory projects as assigned collectively by the senior management team. The Director will supervise team members on a project basis, overseeing Associate Directors and Associates on each assigned project team. Key responsibilities include:
- Lead the team in the intellectual and analytical work of the project, pursuing action-oriented recommendations that will deliver impact for our partners and those they serve
- Design and structure work required to provide excellent deliverables to partners including:
- Develop proposal documents, timeline, budgets
- Design and execute against meeting schedules, timelines and work streams in order to guide the project team
- Draft and finalize agreed deliverables with team members and senior management as needed, including memos, reports, and PowerPoint presentations
- Maintain close contact with partners (individuals and organizations) throughout the project, providing updates, taking input and feedback, facilitating workshops and meetings and co-developing content as appropriate
- Update Social Finance senior management on project progress and elevate important content and issues
Our ability to attract, cultivate and retain top talent is our greatest competitive advantage. As a leader of Social Finance, the Director is required to dedicate time and resources to the development of staff under his/her supervision. Key responsibilities include:
- Recruit and hire excellent staff
- Motivate and inspire team members, creating a culture that is both rigorous and positive
- Develop the specific analytical, communication, and advisory skills of team members that drive impact
As a nonprofit intermediary and market maker, Social Finance is committed to educating the market and providing thought leadership in the impact investing field. As a leader of Social Finance, the Director should contribute to thought leadership by helping to build and disseminate Social Finance’s point of view and intellectual property through any number of the following vehicles:
- White papers
- Grant and product proposals
- Op-eds and blog posts
- Speaking engagements
We are looking for an entrepreneurial professional who has the flexibility and aptitude to build significant portions of the Advisory practice, and take on additional duties that senior management deems appropriate. Candidate must have:
- 7+ years of experience in a leadership role in a top tier management consulting setting, social/public sector experience strongly preferred
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship management skills; ability to successfully manage complex situations; strong active listening and empathy skills
- Strong project management skills; ability to lead and coordinate multiple teams and complex work-streams
- Experience developing and managing a team of motivated professionals with diverse backgrounds
- Commitment to excellence and accuracy, with an ability to manage multiple and competing priorities simultaneously; willingness to express contrary points of view and seek consensus among strong, independent thinkers
- Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of:
- Specific program areas and interventions (health, criminal justice, housing, workforce development, early childhood development, education) and/or
- Key issues in effective nonprofit management, and/or
- Impact investing
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; the ability to deliver quantitative and qualitative data in a compelling way; ability to quickly research, synthesize and summarize key lessons on unfamiliar topics
- Sense of humor and the flexibility to regularly incorporate feedback of others into work processes
- Ability to create and maintain a positive, productive attitude and team culture in the face of challenges
- Advanced expertise in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint and the ability to quickly learn new software
- Graduate degree in Business, Law, or Public Policy preferred
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Send cover letter and resume to [email protected] (Subject line: Director, Advisory)
Review of applications will begin immediately. No phone calls please.
Social Finance, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of actual or perceived race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political affiliation, or genetic information.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert