Position Type: Part-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Education
City: Flexible with preference for New York City or Seattle
Postal code: 10004
Country: United States
nXu (www.nxueducation.org) is a non-profit program whose mission is to catalyze a diverse community of youth to explore, articulate, and pursue their purpose. A sense of purpose acts as an inner compass that—when combined with skills training and community support—allows young people to live in alignment with their highest potential. Thus, we have developed a research & evidence-based purpose development methodology and curriculum that we have implemented in-school and out-of-school with high school students in Chicago, Newark, New York, San Antonio and Seattle. Through this direct programming, we have cultivated a deep understanding of the implementation needs of our purpose development program. Leveraging these insights, we are establishing a teacher training program and school-based curriculum that will allow a growing number of high schools to cultivate a sense of purpose in the lives of their students.
Location: Flexible with a preference for New York City or Seattle
Type: Part-Time or Full-Time Consultant
Duration: Initially through 6/30/20 with the possibility of an extension
OVERVIEW OF ROLE
We seek an exceptional Curriculum Designer to translate our current curriculum, which was initially developed for use in our out-of-school learning lab/fellowship program, into a curriculum that can be easily implemented by high schools across the country. The ideal candidate has a sincere passion for curriculum development as well as a deep understanding of how to create curricula that is resonant with high school teachers in a wide range of teaching contexts.
We intend to begin delivering the curriculum in schools beginning in June 2020. We are open to working with someone full time or part time to help meet that goal. Given the scope of work, anyone working part-time will need to allocate a minimum of 15 to 20 hours per week to this effort.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Determine the best approach to translate nXu’s out-of-school curriculum, which is based on 4-hour sessions, into an in-school curriculum to be used in a range of high schools.
- Identify and develop the optimal lesson plan format that will ensure smoothest implementation with a wide range of schools.
- Develop an in-school curriculum based on the out-of-school curriculum.
- Revise out-of-school curriculum.
- Develop teacher and school leader training programming.
- Tailor curriculum to the needs of certain partners with whom we develop deep partnerships.
- Ideally, pilot the delivery of in-school curriculum to students
- Serve as hub for feedback from nXu facilitators.
- Serve as curricular liaison with partners.
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
nXu offers competitive compensation for this consulting role.
Candidates for this position must possess the following qualifications:
- Previous high school curriculum development experience, especially social-emotional curricula or other non-traditional curricula, that has been implemented by a wide range of teachers in multiple school contexts.
- Passion for curriculum development.
- Superior attention to detail.
- Experience seeking and integrating feedback from multiple constituents.
- Comfort working with a remote team, often independently.
- Concrete evidence of keen interest in, and exploration of, his or her self-development.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and an interest in working in a fast-paced, start-up environment.
- Belief in nXu’s mission and a passion for helping other people--especially teenagers--explore, articulate and pursue their purpose in life.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should apply at the website below.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert