Major Gift Officer
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Advocacy/Social Action
Postal code: 80228
Country: United States
$10M - $20M
Friendship Bridge is an international social enterprise that empowers Guatemalan women to create a better future through microfinance, education and health services. This nonprofit organization works to break the generational cycle of poverty by supporting shorter-term economic development needs and providing empowerment and business development tools for longer-term solutions to impoverished and entrepreneurial women in the highlands of Guatemala.
The Major Gift Officer (MGO) is a dynamic ambassador of the organization who works closely with the CEO, Board of Directors, staff and volunteers to expand funding for the organization. The MGO’s primary focus will be:
1. Steward existing major donors
2. Expand Friendship Bridge’s existing major donor portfolio
3. Raise $500,000 - $700,000 annually in major gifts
The MGO will be an inspirational leader with the skill, vision and drive to take this successful organization to the next level in major donor development. Keen knowledge of Friendship Bridge’s numerous programs and internal processes in Guatemala and the organization’s cultural context are essential to securing major gifts in order to grow and enhance the programs. In addition, the MGO needs to have a passion for, and speak knowledgably about, Friendship Bridge’s theory of change for social impact and its commitment to a double bottom line, achieving financial and social returns, in order to cultivate and attract new support as the organization expands. The MGO will be responsible for identifying and cultivating long-term relationships with prospective major gift donors.
This role will involve prospect research, moves management, creation of effective and creative solicitation strategies as well as ongoing donor stewardship. The MGO will need to keep a clear and up-to-date donor portfolio with an emphasis on multi-year gifts of $10,000 or greater. The MGO will be responsible for working with Friendship Bridge’s board members and CEO to coordinate and execute long-term fundraising strategies.
This position will require creativity and ingenuity as the organization heads into the next five-year strategic plan which prioritizes major gifts growth.
The Major Gift Officer is a full-time position, a member of the leadership team, and requires occasional travel domestically and internationally and evening events. This position will have a flexible work schedule as much of the relationship building and connecting with donors is expected to occur outside of the office.
Dual Reporting to: President and Development Director
· Increasing major gifts revenue in line with the organization’s 2020-2024 Strategic Initiatives and annual budget, with a goal to increase this revenue to $700,000 in the next 2 years.
· Secure major gifts at the $5,000 to $50,000+ level with the goal of raising $500,000 in the first year.
· Make direct solicitations and assist the board and other staff with making solicitations and stewarding donors by providing moves management support, strategic counsel and drafting donor communications.
· Work with CEO & Development Director to move current donors to higher giving levels.
· Identify and cultivate new prospective donors and steward them from initial prospect to introduction to mission and ultimate solicitation.
· Build deep and sustained relationships with both current and new major donors at the $5k+ level.
· Acknowledge major donors through public and private recognition.
· Attend board meetings as requested by President and CEO and serve as a member of the board Development Committee.
· In partnership with the Development Director, oversee team’s monthly revenue forecasts, reports, and analysis.
· Champion the ongoing focus on, and training and guidance in, fundraising activities to Board and staff.
· Tracking and assessing the organization’s major gift fundraising metrics.
· 5 years in:
o Major gift/planned giving experience
o Achieving annual revenue targets greater than $500,000
o Managing a major donor portfolio
· Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to connect with donors and staff in a way that makes them feel comfortable, valued and appreciated.
· Proven experience and knowledge of fundraising principles for securing new major donors, growing major donors and working with Board members to maximize fundraising opportunities.
· Results-driven, organized with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously within budget and deadlines.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Organized, prepared and detail oriented.
· Ability to work with a high level of energy and can-do attitude.
· Spanish language skills preferred.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
$75k - 90k
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter, CV/resume and three professional references to [email protected] and copy [email protected] Please reference Major Gift Officer in the subject of the email and include how you heard about the position. Incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone calls please.
Posted By: Philanthropy Expert
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert