Director of Communications
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Other
Postal code: 20037
State: Washington, DC
Country: United States
About Miriam's Kitchen
is the leader in the fight to end chronic and Veteran homelessness in DC. Founded in 1983 as a soup kitchen, Miriam’s Kitchen has evolved over the years to provide critical case work, housing services, advocacy, and other services resulting in a 22% decrease in chronic homelessness and a 40% decrease in Veteran’s homelessness since 2013. Miriam’s Kitchen’s strategic plan focuses on scaling programs and advocacy to impact:
- Individuals: Help more individuals experiencing homelessness obtain housing faster, and ensure they have the support, resources, and health connections needed to thrive in housing
- Systems: End chronic homelessness across DC through policy change that prevents homelessness, increases access to and supply of housing, and addresses root causes of homelessness
- Culture: Ending chronic homelessness requires a shift in the collective culture. Miriam’s Kitchen will work to change the way people think about, talk about, and respond to homelessness, and mobilize others to do the same
Miriam’s Kitchen seeks a Director of Communications (Director) to play a lead role in advancing the mission and elevating the organization’s profile as the leading voice for ending homelessness in Washington, DC. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Director will design an integrated communications strategy to amplify a unified, compelling narrative about the critical work of Miriam’s Kitchen. The Director will develop and execute innovative communications plans for priority initiatives and will drive day-to-day organizational communications activities. The Director will serve on a collaborative and cooperative executive leadership team and will serve as the key voice streamlining internal communications.
Thanks to a generous investment from the Clark Foundation, the Director will have the opportunity to design and build out a Communications Department—staff, consultants, vendors—across the next three years.
The ideal candidate brings a record of success designing an integrated communications plan, developing and disseminating a bold narrative around systems change with results of increased visibility, awareness, and funding. He/She/They will bring experience expanding and engaging diverse audiences, including advocates and donors, and strategic storytelling informed by lived experiences, trauma, and belonging.
- Develop a strategic, annual communications plan focused on Miriam’s Kitchen’s most important audiences-- guests, volunteers, donors, government agencies, other advocates for the homeless—in collaboration with the senior leadership team.
- Build strong working relationships with each program (meals, case management, art therapy, advocacy) and promote an integrated communications approach across the organization.
- Lead, develop, motivate, and manage a high performing team, including internal staff, vendors, and contractors, to meet strategic goals and objectives while staying within budget.
- Create and implement training programs for staff and partners to increase their communication skills.
- Identify and build relationships with new and existing editors, reporters, producers, bloggers and tech analysts to increase media coverage.
- Drive editorial story planning, writing, and pitching to DC and national press
- Enhance organizational visibility through thought leadership development.
- Monitor industry issues and competitive landscape to adjust organization positioning and messaging as required.
- Assist with strategic communication requirements for the leadership team, including presentation development, interview talking points and speech writing.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 7-10+ years professional experience
- Strong interest in and commitment to ending chronic homelessness in DC
- An understanding of or interest in learning the structural and systemic causes of homelessness
- Experience developing a strategic communications plan
- Comfort working with a diverse population, including staff, stakeholders and guests with a variety of backgrounds and lived experiences
- Well-organized with strong attention to detail; proactive problem solver; motivated to learn and adopt best practices in communications
- Experience working website management, databases and email marketing
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work across multiple teams and across multiple audiences
- Experience working with branding and visual guidelines
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Excellent communication skills to facilitate routine and accelerated work requests with suppliers and manage internal expectations.
Miriam’s Kitchen values diversity in thought and experience and is committed to assembling a diverse workplace. People of color, people with lived experience in the issues Miriam’s Kitchen works on, veterans, and LGBTQIA persons are strongly encouraged to apply.
Competitive salary. Benefits include generous PTO; fully covered health, dental, and vision insurance; 403(b) retirement plan with employer contributions; life, AD&D, short and long term disability insurance.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Posted By: LeaderFit
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert