Director of Development
The Vilna Shul, Boston's Center for Jewish Culture, Inc.
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Arts, Culture and Humanities
Postal code: 02114
Country: United States
The Vilna Shul, Boston's Center for Jewish Culture, Inc. ("the Vilna"), is the historic and present home for Jewish life in downtown Boston, a vital and bustling center for arts and culture, as well as the only remaining immigrant era synagogue building in downtown Boston. Currently celebrating its centennial year, the Vilna is at a pivotal moment in its history, poised to broaden its reach, engage new audiences and visitors, and deepen its impact as both a living museum and a unique Jewish institution where arts, culture, and community intersect for Bostonians of all ages. We serve those living downtown as well as in the greater Boston area, and welcome tourists and students from around the world. We host a lively and dynamic schedule of Jewish and secular programs that support adult and family learning, foster understanding between neighbors, and build community.
The ViIna Shul has just completed a $4M, Phase I restoration of the historic building, updating its systems and making it accessible to all, so that the organization and the landmark structure can satisfy the needs and interests of our vibrant and growing community for generations to come.
The Vilna seeks to add this position to our dedicated staff at a critical and incredibly exciting time in the life of our organization. This is a unique opportunity to have an enormous impact within the organization and with our constituents, as we expand our reach and deepen our relationships with not only other Jewish organizations in greater Boston, but also non-Jewish community institutions as well.
The Vilna is seeking a director of development to create, implement and direct a $1M+ annual campaign including major gifts, grant writing, events, direct mail, and social media. The director of development will report to the executive director and serve as a member of the senior management team. S/he will also work with the consultant directing Phase II and Ill of the capital campaign to restore the Vilna's unique artwork and sanctuary. The position also contributes to the development and implementation of organizational strategies, policies, and practices. This position also interacts with the Vilna Shul's Board of Directors and its vibrant volunteer community.
A successful candidate will have 5-7 years of direct fundraising experience, will be a self-starter, and possess excellent interpersonal skills. Knowledge of Jewish communal life and Boston's Jewish community are important.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Staff the Development Committee (5 meetings per year)
- Work together with the Development Committee to develop annual and capital fundraising strategic plans
- Manage annual and capital appeal activities fundraising events and cultivation activities including the annual gala and special events
- Update and maintain donor databases and prepare reports
- Develop opportunities for foundation/corporate funding sponsorships.
- Implement a donor recognition policy for major gifts and a system for tracking named items and plaques
- Manage a system to prepare, send, and track donation acknowledgements.
- Collaborate with the executive director in the development and review of strategic fundraising initiatives and collateral materials including organizational case statement, fundraising brochures, pledge cards, and annual report with donor listings
- Manage relationships with prospective donors and identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit, and steward these prospects collaboratively with the board of directors and executive director
- Positively contribute to the teamwork, learning, and collaborative spirit of a small office
- Commitment to the Vilna's mission
- Significant professional experience in development and fundraising. Five or more years preferred
- Familiarity with fundraising software products
- Highly developed project management skills, including a proven ability to manage time, handle pressure, and meet deadlines
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to develop relationships with donors and philanthropic leaders. Utilize sound professional judgment and discretion
- Budget development and oversight experience
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards in a diverse workplace
- Keen sensitivity to handling confidential information
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including attention to detail and accuracy
- Flexibility, sense of humor, and the ability to adapt to shifting priorities in a changing landscape
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience required. Master's degree preferred
- Knowledge of the Boston Jewish community preferable
This position will be based out of 18 Phillips Street in Boston with some flexibility for working remotely. This is a full time position. Salary and benefits commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please send resume and cover letter to [email protected] and use Director of Development in the subject line.
The duties and responsibilities in this job description may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
The Vilna Shul provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Vilna Shul complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. The Vilna Shul expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Vilna Shul's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert