The Vilna Shul, Boston's Center for Jewish Culture, Inc.
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Arts, Culture and Humanities
Postal code: 02114
Country: United States
The Vilna Shul, Boston's Center for Jewish Culture, Inc. ("the Vilna"), is the historic and present home for Jewish life in downtown Boston, a vital and bustling center for arts and culture, as well as the only remaining immigrant era synagogue building in downtown Boston. Currently celebrating its centennial year, the Vilna is at a pivotal moment in its history, poised to broaden its reach, engage new audiences and visitors, and deepen its impact as both a living museum and a unique Jewish institution where arts, culture, and community intersect for Bostonians of all ages. We serve those living downtown as well as in the greater Boston area, and welcome tourists and students from around the world. We host a lively and dynamic schedule of Jewish and secular programs that support adult and family learning, foster understanding between neighbors, and build community.
The ViIna Shul has just completed a $4M, Phase I restoration of the historic building, updating its systems and making it accessible to all, so that the organization and the landmark structure can satisfy the needs and interests of our vibrant and growing community for generations to come.
The Vilna seeks to add this position to our dedicated staff at a critical and incredibly exciting time in the life of our organization. This is a unique opportunity to have an enormous impact within the organization and with our constituents, as we expand our reach and deepen our relationships with not only other Jewish organizations in greater Boston, but also non-Jewish community institutions as well.
The Operations Manager will be responsible for day-to-day operations, managing the organization's inflows and outflows of cash, property management, HR, as well as helping and creating organizational and program budgets in collaboration with the Executive Director and others.
Reporting to the executive director and serving as a member of the management team, this position's primary responsibility is ensuring organizational effectiveness by providing leadership for the organization's financial and operations functions. The position also contributes to the development and implementation of organizational strategies, policies and practices. This position will also interact with the Vilna Shul's Board of Directors.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordination and Supervision - Coordinate, manage, and monitor the workings of various departments in the organization.
- Financial - Emphasis on financial statement preparation, manage A/Rand A/P processes. Review financial statements and data. Utilize financial data to improve efficiency. Prepare and control operational budgets. Recommend effective strategies for the organization's financial well-being. Recommend effective strategies to improve the organization's efficiency in matters of human resources, operations, physical plant, technology, financial resource management, and risk management.
- Property Management - Assist Executive Director in coordination of construction/renovation. Maintain historic property by completing/supervising repairs, planning renovations, forecasting requirements, and contracting with vendors for various maintenance services. Responsible for all security and accessibility matters.
- Donor Software - Assist team in ensuring maximum efficiency of donor tracking software
- Post-secondary education
- Minimum 3 years' experience in financial/operational management, preferably for nonprofit organization, with demonstrated leadership ability
- Knowledge and experience in organizational effectiveness and operations management implementing best practices
- Commitment to the Vilna's mission
- Excellent computer skills and proficient in Excel, Word, Outlook, Access, and QuickBooks
- Experience with CRM software required and experience with DonorView preferred
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style
- Budget development and oversight experience
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards in a diverse workplace
- Keen sensitivity to handling confidential information
- Excels at operating in a fast pace, community environment
- Open to direction and collaborative work style and commitment to get the job done
- Extremely organized and detail oriented, with the ability to successfully handle concurrent tasks with competing priorities
This position will be based out of 18 Phillips Street in Boston with some flexibility for working remotely. This is a full time position. Annual salary range is $65,000 to $75,000 Salary and benefits commensurate with qualifications and experience.
$65k - 75k
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please send resume and cover letter to [email protected] and use Operations Manager in the subject line.
The duties and responsibilities in this job description may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
The Vilna Shul provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Vilna Shul complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. The Vilna Shul expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Vilna Shul's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert