Director of Strategic Practice and Data
State Collaborative on Reforming Education
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Function: Research and Development
Primary domain: Education
Postal code: 37212
Country: United States
$3M - $10M
SCORE is an independent, nonprofit, and nonpartisan organization founded by former US Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist. SCORE’s mission is to catalyze transformative change in Tennessee education so that all students can achieve success in college, career, and life.
OVERVIEW OF THE POSITION
The Director of Strategic Practice and Data will lead SCORE’s efforts to analyze data, identify gaps, and work with practitioners in the field to generate proof points. This data-driven and results-oriented individual will play a critical role in advancing the organization’s work by thinking strategically with a systems lens to ask key questions, uncover and communicate insights from data across the K12 to jobs continuum, and transform these insights into the development of innovative pilots to generate proof points. These pilots, which SCORE refers to as strategic practice initiatives, will necessitate working directly with schools, districts, higher education partners, community leaders and other stakeholders to test out and learn from innovative models.
The Director of Strategic Practice and Data will report to the Senior Director of Research and Innovation.
Data Strategy and AnalysisStrategic Practice
SCORE analyzes data in a variety of ways, including, but not limited to, analysis of statewide publicly available data, internal tracking of identified organizational metrics, and ongoing progress monitoring of strategic practice work. As such, the ideal candidate will bring a deep curiosity to learn from data, asking key questions that will ensure that data is: 1) collected efficiently and effectively to measure the impact of SCORE’s work, 2) acquired from secondary sources with attention to data security, 3) analyzed to identify trends and patterns to inform SCORE’s priority setting, policy advocacy work, and strategic practice work, and 4) used to generate highly visual and user-friendly data reports for public dissemination to a diverse set of stakeholders.
SCORE defines strategic practice as work done directly with practitioners to incubate and support innovative work in the field. The ideal candidate will be able to quickly build trust and relationships with educators and leaders in both the K-12 and post-secondary space to support implementation of innovative pilots with clear goals and flexibility to adjust course where needed. This includes: 1) analyzing data to identify common challenges across systems, 2) proposing, designing, and executing communities of practice to target common challenges, 3) serving as the primary point of contact for network partners to understand needs and connect individuals to resources, information, and research that will help them solve targeted challenges, 4) identifying and managing technical assistance partners to support with strategic practice as needed, and 5) proactively tracking and sharing lessons learned from strategic practice to ensure work has impact beyond pilots.
Best Practice Sharing and Networking
SCORE is committed to continuous improvement and best practice sharing. As such, the ideal candidate will be able to plan cross-system support opportunities targeting common challenges, including tasks such as: 1) planning and facilitating visits and meetings for instructional leaders, 2) sharing knowledge and learnings with SCORE team and other key stakeholders to support continuous improvement, and 3) facilitating adult learning experiences for key stakeholders.
- Deep understanding of the education field and education policy in particular
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree in relevant field preferred
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ professional work experience analyzing and using data, including experience analyzing large datasets (5 years preferred)
- Ability to leverage data to test, iterate, and make incremental progress over time
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to design innovative pilots to test emerging ideas that are informed by data
- Passion for SCORE’s mission, a drive to dramatically improve student achievement in Tennessee, and an understanding of current national, state, and local education policy issues
- Deep alignment with SCORE’s core values of collaboration, optimism, courage, excellence, and innovation
- Strong partner engagement and consulting skills with an ability to quickly build trusting and authentic relationships with education stakeholders (Ex. Teachers, school and district leaders, higher education faculty and staff, technical assistance providers, consultants, etc.)
- Demonstrated success in project management with proven experience managing multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced, high-intensity, and intellectually demanding environment
- Ability to problem-solve in the moment and proactively consult and collaborate with other team members as appropriate
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to move projects forward and clearly communicate both internally with team members, and with educators and others across the state and country
- Demonstrated ability to think in innovative ways and the ability to communicate with a variety of audiences
- Evidence of leadership among their peers and ability to build professional relationships that result in improved outcomes for students
SCORE deeply values team members and their well-being and is proud to offer a comprehensive benefits plan. All full-time SCORE employees are eligible for benefits, including:
- Medical insurance, including high quality and affordable health insurance options; dental insurance options; vision insurance options; employer paid disability, life insurance, and EAP benefits; access to Flexible Savings Accounts (FSA) and Health Savings Accounts (HSA) benefits.
- After one year of service, all full-time team members are eligible for participation in a 401K program with employer match.
- Paid parental leave time, including paternity, maternity, and adoption leave, available after six months of service.
- Paid time off, holiday office closures, and paid floating holidays.
- Access to free, on-site parking.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
At SCORE, we are committed to creating a workplace where all team members bring their whole selves to work and thrive both personally and professionally. We deeply value collaboration, optimism, excellence, and innovation in our student-centered work and in how we work together and support each other as a team. We also believe that it is important for our team to reflect the rich diversity of students in Tennessee, and that we intentionally create space for diverse viewpoints to meaningfully contribute to our work.
SCORE is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristic or status.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to [email protected] by Friday, March 13, 2020. If you have any questions, please contact SCORE’s Human Resources team: 615-727-1545 or [email protected]
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert