** Policy Position ** Assistant Director, Telecommunications, Technology, and Media
Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Advocacy/Social Action
Postal code: 20036
State: Washington, DC
Country: United States
$3M - $10M
Rooted in the dreams of immigrants and inspired by the promise of opportunity, Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC (Advancing Justice | AAJC) advocates for an America in which all Americans can benefit equally from, and contribute to, the American dream. Our mission is to advance the civil and human rights for Asian Americans and to build and promote a fair and equitable society for all.
The Assistant Director for Telecommunications, Technology, and Media (“Assistant Director”) will be primarily responsible for developing and providing public policy research, strategies, analysis, and education on telecommunications, technology, and media diversity. An advocate for fair and equal representation of Asian Americans in the media and fair and equal access to telecommunications and technology law and policy, the Assistant Director will work to advocate for reforms that will benefit the broader Asian American community.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Organizational Leadership and Strategic Planning
- Act as thought partner to the President & Executive Director on issues related to telecommunications, technology, and media diversity.
- Work closely with the Executive Team, all organization staff, and board of directors to provide leadership and direction in setting budgets, program goals and strategies, advancing new ideas and innovation that align with our organizational mission and strategic plan.
Plan and Strategize Activities Related to Telecommunications, Technology, and Media Diversity
- In consultation with the President & Executive Director, identify, organize and implement strategies related to telecommunications, technology, and media diversity;
- Work with key legislators and executive branch officials to advance fair laws, regulations, guidelines, and policies that benefit the Asian American community;
- Provide public policy research and analysis on issues related to telecommunications, technology, and media diversity;
- Monitor and analyze legislation, regulations, and other policy developments; prepare testimony, comments, and other relevant material;
- Contribute to the development and implementation of strategic communications plans related to telecommunications, technology, and media diversity; including providing content support, responding to press inquiries and making public speaking appearances as necessary and appropriate;
- Draft blog posts, press releases, testimony, agency comments, and legal briefs and memoranda.
Develop, Implement and Maintain External Relationships and Partnerships
- Build and maintain excellent relationships with affiliates and the relevant legal and advocacy groups within the civil rights and Asian American communities nationally and locally;
- Develop community education materials; conduct community outreach and education;
- Coordinate program planning and implementation with Advancing Justice-AAJC affiliates to identify areas for potential legislative or administrative reform;
- Administer and organize the AAPI Technology and Telecommunications Table that is made up of 10+ AAPI non-profit organizations coming together to raise AAPI voices in technology and telecommunication conversations; and
- Build strong and effective relationships with key industry stakeholders, allied organizations, coalitions, and Congressional Members and staff.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of a development supported growth strategy for telecommunications, technology, and media diversity, including the identification of donor prospects through work with peer organizations and other professional contacts;
- Assist with fundraising, grants management, and relationship management with funders and supporters;
- Work with the finance and development teams to craft project budgets and contribute to the development of grant proposals relating to telecommunications, technology, and media diversity;
- Collaborate with development team to identify opportunities for engaging with funders;
- Provide content/information for donor communications and materials (donor newsletters, action alerts, special reports from the executive director, social media postings, etc.); and
- Attend meetings with prospects/donors as necessary and appropriate.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree; Master’s Degree in Public Policy or a Juris Doctorate Degree preferred but not required.
- Seven-twelve years of relevant experience working in government or an advocacy organization preferred.
- Knowledge of telecommunications, technology, and media diversity issues, particularly as they pertain to Asian American and Pacific Islander communities preferred.
100% employer paid premium for health, dental, vision, life, disability and long-term care insurance. Vacation, sick, and personal paid time off. Employer contribution into the employee's 401K plan after one year of service. Summer flexible work schedule; all year-round flexible work schedule after one year of employment.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Send resume with references, short writing sample and a cover letter to Hiring Manager at [email protected]
The entire position description: https://advancingjustice-aajc.org/job/assistant-director-telecommunications-technology-and-media
Asian Americans Advancing Justice-AAJC is an equal opportunity employer.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert