Director of Finance & Operations
Bard Prison Initiative
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Education
Postal code: 12504
State: New York
Country: United States
Formed in 1999 to address the mass incarceration crisis, the Bard Prison Initiative (BPI) defies expectations of who college is for and where it might lead. For twenty years, BPI has reimagined and redefined questions of availability, affordability, and expectations typically associated with college in America. One of the most rigorous and effective college-in-prison programs in the country, BPI is now extending its radical intervention in educational inequity outside of prison through the Bard Microcollege. BPI currently enrolls 400 women and men across six New York State prisons and two microcollege campuses. To date, students have earned 550 Bard college degrees.
About the Opportunity:
The Director of Finance and Operations serves as the de facto chief financial and human resources officer of BPI and reports directly to the Executive Director. The Director’s main charge is in identifying and implementing the infrastructure and systems needed to support BPI’s growth. The Director ensures that BPI responsibly manages its finances and financial responsibilities; that it can enter into and maintain effective contractual relationships; that it can expand its infrastructure and staff size; and that staff can rely on consistent and equitable administrative policies and practices, as well as support opportunities for professional development.
Key Responsibilities & Outcomes:
- BPI’s contractual and financial relationships are centralized, organized, and optimal
- BPI employees recognize the fairness, logic, and transparency of employee policies
- Develop comprehensive knowledge and communicate all BPI’s contractual obligations with colleagues to ensure that those contractual obligations are met
- Establish new BPI office buildings or spaces in Annandale and NYC
- Conduct financial reconciliations on a quarterly basis with appropriate record-keeping
- BPI always satisfies financial reporting and auditing requirements
- Develop a smooth and efficient process to communicate necessary budget information for grant proposals and reports with the BPI Development team
- Handle invoices and payments in an efficient and organized manner
- Effectively manage the negotiation of new contracts, including leases
- Manage all new staff positions in an organized process from initial announcement and recruitment to appointment details and on-boarding
- Oversee process and timeline of staff evaluations and reappointments, working with supervisors, ED, and the Bard College Human Resources office
- Develop a BPI employee handbook to include established policies concerning reimbursement, time off, confidentiality, conduct, etc.
- Supervisors follow consistent policies to create meaningful opportunities for staff professional development
- Commitment to BPI’s mission of defying expectations of who college is for and where it might lead
- Experience managing budgets, producing budget projections, reconciliations, and reports
- Experience in an operational or financial leadership role for an organization or division
- Experience building and improving operational, financial, and HR systems
- Significant knowledge in HR practices and policies and employee engagement/relations issues
- Experience negotiating and managing contracts and leases
- Strong steward of partnerships, customer service oriented
BPI’s Benefits & Culture:
- This position is fully benefits-eligible through Bard College. Staff benefits include health insurance with prescription, vision, and dental, as well as employer contributions to a retirement plan.
- A private institution serving in the public interest, Bard College is committed to critical inquiry, civic engagement, and the expansion of educational access to underserved communities.
$100k - 120k
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
This search is being managed by Axis Talent Partners. Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter detailing their qualifications for the position and their interest in BPI’s mission specifically to: https://axistalentpartners.applytojob.com/apply
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert