Director of Communications
The Fuller Project
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Other
Postal code: 20036
State: Washington, DC
Country: United States
The Fuller Project is a global team of award-winning journalists reporting on the issues that most impact women in the US and abroad. Our investigations expose injustices, bring new explanation and understanding to issues, and lift up solutions.
The Fuller Project is a leading global nonprofit newsroom dedicated to groundbreaking reporting on women. We partner with national and international news outlets to publish journalism that elevates women’s contributions, confronts injustice, and spurs citizens to hold governments, corporations and other institutions accountable.
Since 2015, our award-winning team has published hundreds of articles — from our TIME Magazine cover story on waitresses in American cities earning $2.13 an hour, to our four-part feature in Marie Claire on forced virginity testing in the U.S., to our devastating investigation into child sexual exploitation in the Philippines in The Washington Post. In 2019, our reporting won the Military Reporters & Editors, One World Media and Amnesty International UK Media Awards.
The Fuller Project seeks a Director of Communications (Director) to develop and implement communications strategies aimed at amplifying and advancing The Fuller Project’s strategic priorities and growth ambitions. In this newly created role, the Director will serve as the organization’s lead on PR, audience engagement, and events. Reporting to the CEO, the Director will work closely with the Editor in Chief and reporters across the organization to help craft engagement strategies for each beat, thereby increasing The Fuller Project’s reach.
This is an exciting opportunity for a mission driven leader to join an entrepreneurial and goal-oriented team during a period of critical growth for The Fuller Project.
The ideal candidate is a creative and innovative leader with deep experience in strategic communications, a record of success growing and engaging diverse audiences, and proven ability to elevate the profile of an organization. The Director should embody The Fuller Project’s culture and ethos of objectivity, integrity, civility and diversity, and integrate those organizational values internally and externally.
- Develop and manage The Fuller Project’s communications strategy and serve as a guardian of The Fuller Project’s brand across external-facing touchpoints
- Amplify The Fuller Project’s brand through the development of innovative and forward-leaning communications and messaging that promotes the work of the organization and its journalists
- Develop and execute an outreach strategy that brings new audiences to The Fuller Project’s reporting through a wide range of events, reporter’s briefings, conferences, campaigns, and other forums
- Work closely with The Fuller Project editorial team and external partners to generate proactive press coverage of Fuller Project’s journalism
- Support the Editor in Chief in building and strengthening editorial partnerships to support multi-media publishing of The Fuller Project’s journalism
- Working with the Associate Editor for Social Media and Engagement, leverage external-facing platforms to maximize The Fuller Project’s social channels, newsletter products, and website
- Manage relationships with external consultants, agencies and vendors
- Develop and track metrics to assess the effectiveness and impact of communications initiatives and tools, and report on success
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity of all forms in our newsroom. We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. U.S. work authorization is required.
- 7-10+ years of experience in communications, marketing, publishing, and/or PR roles required; agency experience in a plus
- A savvy, creative, smart, and innovative leader with keen public relations intuition, exceptional judgment, and excellent writing and presentation skills
- Demonstrated success developing and executing comprehensive, short- and long-term strategic communication plans to support organizational growth
- Strong press relationships with proven record of story placement and the presence, credibility and skills to cultivate a broad range of relationships
- Strong media experience, including, print, broadcast, digital, social and online, including demonstrated success developing creative media relations campaigns and events
- Experience devising and implementing effective strategies for social media platforms
- Deep understanding of the intersection of brand, editorial, and audience engagement
- Track record as an energetic, flexible, self-starting team player with the ability to foster collaboration and contribute to a strong sense of community across the team
- Ability to thrive when working under deadlines, and the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously while maintaining the highest standards of excellence
- Ability to work productively in a non-partisan environment, guided by journalism ethics
- Passion for and demonstrated commitment to journalism and the mission and core values of The Fuller Project
The Director of Communications will work from the headquarters office in Washington, DC and will work closely with the entire team. This position includes competitive benefits as well as vacation and flex-time benefits.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Posted By: LeaderFit
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert