General Expectations & Roles: El Sistema Colorado (ESC) board members serve as vital ambassadors for our mission of social change through ensemble music.
- The board is responsible for the sustainability, sound governance and growth of the organization.
- Board members engage ESC activities, committing approximately 6-10 hours per month to serve on the board, board committees and attend program concerts and events.
- Board members set the direction and policy for the organization, review & approve the annual budget, monitor financials, and provide support and guidance to staff directors, who implement board policies and ESC's operations.
- The program and development managers report to the board.
Personal Financial Contribution: All board members are expected to make a direct financial contribution to El Sistema Colorado. Rather than a specific amount, board members are asked to make a contribution which is personally meaningful to them and commensurate with how El Sistema Colorado fits into their philanthropic priorities.
Fundraising: Fundraising is one of the key responsibilities of ESC's board of directors. Board members must actively participate in fundraising opportunities: maintain key donor relationships, identify prospects and solicit new contributions; network at El Sistema Colorado and other community events; participate in meetings with individual donors, foundation, corporate, congregational, and small business representatives in collaboration with the ESC development director and other board members.
Orientation: The board chair leads new board members through a two-hour orientation meeting with the program and development directors at a program site. New board members will learn about ESC, witness a rehearsal, and meet participating students, parents or school administration. We'll conclude by assigning each new board member to an existing board member who will serve as a mentor for the first 6 months.
Monthly meetings: ESC's board of directors holds a two-hour in-person meeting once a month.
Board Retreats: Board members are expected to attend board development or planning retreats (usually limited to 1x/year on a weekday/evening or weekend).
Board Committees: All board members serve on board committees of their choosing. Current board committees are: Governance, Development (fundraising), Finance, Marketing & Communication and Program. The Board Executive Committee is made of board officers.
Activities and Special Events: Board members are expected to periodically attend and participate in El Sistema Colorado events. Such events include:
- El Sistema Colorado student performances and end of year concerts
- Saturday workshops
- Summer music camps
- Special Events