Alameda County Community Food Bank
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Advocacy/Social Action
Postal code: 94621
Country: United States
Alameda County Community Food Bank is a well-established organization, which has been at the forefront of hunger relief efforts for 35 years. As one of the most efficient, direct-impact organizations in the country, few nonprofits are as well-respected — or have a bigger impact on the community — than us. We serve 1 in 5 county residents and will provide enough food for 30 million meals this year. But that barely scratches the surface of all our work. We’re forward thinkers who encourage innovation. We’re changing lives … we’re proud of what we do … and we’re having fun doing it!
You know who you are:
- A superb writer and storyteller who’s mastered the ability to distill complicated ideas while artfully inspiring the support needed to solve problems.
- Obsessed with doing top-notch work; you hone and hone until you get it just right. (Salivating over the opportunity to correct typos is a good thing.)
- Passionate about putting your gifts to work in a well-resourced, well respected, important, life-saving organization.
- (By this bullet you’re already imagining how you can better tell our story to funders and can’t wait to keep our grants train moving …)
- And, of course, eager to take your grant writing career to the next level in an organization that has a strong team culture, and invests in real professional growth!
We know you’re all that and more … so shout it from the rooftops: “That’s me! That’s me!” … or, better yet, apply to be Alameda County Community Food Bank’s next Grant Writer.
As a member of the Food Bank’s Development Division, the Grant Writer is a key player in a well-established — and, yet, still very much growing — Leadership Gifts team. The grant writer works under the supervision and mentoring of the Corporate and Foundation Relations Manager, writing and editing proposals and reports. This role also conducts funder research, maintains the grants calendar and ensures all grants related documentation is accurately captured and logged in our database. The ideal candidate has at least two years of grant writing experience. They are strong writer, highly organized with impeccable attention to detail and the ability to herd cats (you’ll have to decide if we mean that literally or figuratively). The person in this role has the proven ability to collaborate with people inside the organization as well as with external partners. Importantly, this person is committed to the Food Bank’s mission and doing great work to further our pursuit of a nourished, equitable and more just Alameda County.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Minimum of two years’ experience in nonprofit development with an emphasis on grant writing.
- Proven track record of successful grant and sponsorship applications at $10,000 and up level.
- Superb writing and editing skills with ability to translate program initiatives and impact into strong solicitation letters, proposals and reports for a variety of audiences.
- Solid understanding of best practices in institutional giving — familiarity with local business and foundation community a plus.
- Experience working with prospect research tools, donor databases (Blackbaud a plus) and Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects at once in fast paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Self-starter, strong organizational skills, attention to detail and creative problem solving.
- Excellent communications, interpersonal and customer service skills; comfort with public speaking.
· Ability to attend work functions outside of normal work hours, on weekends and evenings, as needed.
- Valid California driver’s license and insurable driving record. (Vehicle ownership not necessary.)
Personal Attributes and Values
- Passion, enthusiasm, focus, and creativity around Alameda County Community Food Bank’s vision, mission and values of community, leadership, transparency, innovation and diversity.
· Excellent judgment, impeccable integrity and honesty, handles confidential information with discretion.
- Strong work ethic with an orientation toward action, innovation and process improvement.
- Ability to work both independently and in a collaborative setting; service orientation for people of diverse backgrounds and circumstances.
- Passion and drive towards an equitable society where people of all races, ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations and economic circumstances have a sense of belonging.
The ability to perform following physical activities are necessary in the performance of this job: Sit and use a computer for long periods of time; use a computer to accomplish the duties of the position (including typing and seeing); read and write in English; conduct tours in warehouse on a regular basis; think strategically, communicate expectations, and establish priorities.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time, non-exempt position working Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (7.5 hour workday, 1 hour unpaid lunch break). The non-negotiable starting hourly wage is $33.64 per hour (approximately $65,598 per year). We offer an outstanding benefit package including:
- Medical: ACCFB pays 100% for employees and 93% for dependents for our Kaiser HMO. Buy-up options to Blue Shield HMO and PPO plans are available.
- Dental: 100% employer-paid for employees and their dependents.
- Vision: Paid by employees.
- Paid time off, starting at: 10 vacation days, 12 sick days, 11 holidays, and four paid early closures annually.
- Pre-tax Flexible Spending and Commuter Accounts.
- Employer-paid life, A&DD & LTD insurance, as well as buy-up options for increased coverage.
- 403(b) plan available on the first day with employer match after one year. Fully vested at three years.
- Employee Assistance Program for employees and dependents.
- Free ongoing 1:1 financial coaching and access to an interest, service fee and credit requirement-free short-term loan program after six-months on staff.
$65k - 75k
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
If you meet these qualifications and want to join our mission, please submit your resume along with a writing sample and answer the application questions on our careers page located at accfb.org/careers.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert